Show us yer film shots then!

I shot an insect once with a reversed 50 on the end of an 80-200, the 80-200 magnified lens errors at the extreme edges of the 50.
Its not something you want in macro photography but it can be an interesting lens characteristic for more general stuff.

zxpbo4.jpg

I know its very strange and I dont know what caused it, hasn't happened on any of the others :thinking:

Andy

It could be something to do with the distance away from the film plane of the out of focus BG :shrug:, the roll will always be there but its not always as obvious.

Last edited:
mamiya c330; fp4 in D76.. wasn't too happy with this roll but got a few decent ones. Also really want to upgrade from my scanner :baby:

4756705453_ecf2247778.jpg

I love this image. I really like the way it is framed. Love the signage in the middle, the completely still walker and the motion blur of the bike. Simply fantastic!

I shot an insect once with a reversed 50 on the end of an 80-200, the 80-200 magnified lens errors at the extreme edges of the 50.
Its not something you want in macro photography but it can be an interesting lens characteristic for more general stuff.

zxpbo4.jpg
This is very cool. Is this what caused the vignette? I have been wanting to try this.Need to get out and do it. Nice work Jox.

After returning exclusively to film in the Spring I've wanted to try and get some nice landscapes shot. It was my mission to shoot a large variety of positive and negative emulsions to see how they (and I) coped. I'm quite happy with a few of these but I really need to work on my filter technique!

1. Provia - This looked far cooler in my head, needs more of the stormy skies (polarizer has helped bring out the blue in the clouds).

2. Provia - I like this, it's a shame about the movement in the yellow flowers.

3. Provia - I need to rethink my compositions...

4. Velvia - This shows the difference that a different film (and possibly light) can make. Not 100% sure this was taken on the same day.

5. E100VS - I'm really liking the rendition this film is giving me, I don't have a profile for it though so it could be down to scanning or processing.

6. E100VS - I'm really proud of this, even if it does have a pink tint!

Couldn't fit any more photographs in my previous post, here's a couple more.

7. Velvia - More grad practice, I quite like the curve of the coastline in this one but it could do with some more sky.

8. Velvia - Because of the direction the light was coming from a lot of the land wasn't being lit which makes this shot look really odd to my eyes. I'm quite fond of the sky and the reflection of it in the water below.

Mr. T - some interesting contrasts with the films there...

#4 - I'm a sucker for Velvia, this is a classic use of it to me... brings out the greens/yellows

#5,#6 - I can see i'm going to have to try this E100VS - even if #6 looks like it's got a dose of the Cokin ND Magenta's

#7,#8 - back to classic Velvia's - to be honest, both of them could have done with the sky holding back a bit longer to get a little more detail in the land. Maybe an extra stop or two would have made the difference - there's really not much lattitude between darkish green and black on slide film.

Interesting set though - and a change from the Ektar that everyone seemed to be shooting a couple of weeks ago (myself included) :LOL:

Funnily enough i've gone from Ektar to velvia too!
Few from my first roll of slide.

View from up the mountain
main.php

St Pauls Church
main.php

White house, this is the same house in the photo below, and is the viewpoint from which #1 was taken.
main.php

24300030.jpg

Last edited:
I am not a great one for flower shots but, I do like these giant poppies as they start to fade and die.

I have tried to capture the lovely shadows and creases in their petals; also, the real wilt and sag that they display as they end their time (you can almost feel the heat on them)

Fuji Neopan 400CN (at 200 on a very hot and bright afternoon).

Poppy.jpg

Hope you enjoy it.

Mr. T - some interesting contrasts with the films there...

#4 - I'm a sucker for Velvia, this is a classic use of it to me... brings out the greens/yellows

#5,#6 - I can see i'm going to have to try this E100VS - even if #6 looks like it's got a dose of the Cokin ND Magenta's

#7,#8 - back to classic Velvia's - to be honest, both of them could have done with the sky holding back a bit longer to get a little more detail in the land. Maybe an extra stop or two would have made the difference - there's really not much lattitude between darkish green and black on slide film.

Interesting set though - and a change from the Ektar that everyone seemed to be shooting a couple of weeks ago (myself included) :LOL:

It's not a very scientific test, although I have profiled my scanner for Velvia and Provia I did do a little tweaking in PhotoShop too. I wanted to give the Kodak a go since I couldn't find all that much about it, I think it's an impressive film but will need to do more experimentation.

The scene for 7 and 8 was a rather strange one because of the position of the sun, it's possible that my grad placement didn't help. I'd agree that the foreground could use a lot more exposure but then we have the problem of the sea being so much brighter than the land and yet darker than the sky. I was also losing the battle against reciprocity (mainly by forgetting all about it before it was too late).

I'm somewhat torn about how I should work with film at the moment, my scanner produces nice 16 bit scans which allow me a lot of headroom for post processing but for now these are just the most basic of levels and curves adjustments. With extensive tweaking I'm confident I could get technically better resulting images but in doing so may lose the character of the different film stocks.

Loving the velvia. Definitely the best landscape film in my opinion. Great shots

Thanks very much, even in low light it performed admirably, the sunset was pretty average but the film worked its magic.

*edit*

On opening the E100VS file it turned out that I didn't bother correcting the evident colour cast (nothing to do with the film) and left it how it is. I'm still quite fond of the pinky version even if it does look a little silly. I did a quick bit of correcting to get it looking a bit more realistic:

Last edited:
I am not a great one for flower shots but, I do like these giant poppies as they start to fade and die.

I have tried to capture the lovely shadows and creases in their petals; also, the real wilt and sag that they display as they end their time (you can almost feel the heat on them)

Fuji Neopan 400CN (at 200 on a very hot and bright afternoon).

Poppy.jpg

Hope you enjoy it.

erm well...after 5 million years or more we evolved a brain and eyes to see colour and can't see the point of flowers in B/W. ;)

Another from me.

Photo16_15Aa.jpg

erm well...after 5 million years or more we evolved a brain and eyes to see colour and can't see the point of flowers in B/W. ;)

Good point in the right context. The idea of black and white in this instance is to bring out the folds and shadows. Also, to bring out the droop in the petals at the end of their life.

Think of it as a white flower with a black centre.

A selection from my Agfa Optima 500, Fuji Superia 200 film, processed by Tesco. You can see the telltale evidence of Tesco's processing particularly well in the first pic.

These have been tweeked a bit in Picnic, the Optima does seem to overexpose by a stop or two.

a quickr pickr post

Another awesome selection Javier, this one's the pick of the bunch for me.

Just how far away from your subject are you?

Thank you. I would say about 8-9 meters. Of late, I have been finding busy corners and crossing the street over and over again. So as I am approaching the other side, that is the perfect time to shoot as people are to distracted to even notice. There is always lots happening on the corners. :)

One from a exceptionally quick test roll through Arthur's old Oly Trip and my new one. :D

Tesco were that good that it has to be mentioned. From being dropped off to me picking it up, 20 minutes had elapsed. 36exp Kodak 400 scanned onto CD. I love my Tesco.

Photo30_31A.jpg

no soul ?

I thought he was joking, its not a comment I'd take seriously.

Me neither :D

One from a exceptionally quick test roll through Arthur's old Oly Trip and my new one. :D

Cool - looks like you are going to have fun with that one - and you got an excellent Tesco there too if they're like that all the time!

Right, after some pretty average results from Dorset with transparency film I've got around to scanning my black and white negatives. I've only scanned my Ilford Pan F but to my mind the black and white results look more interesting.

Liking no. 2 very nice. What are you scanning with?

+1 for image number 2 - I really like it Mr_T :)

It seems to have worked quite well! :D
Yeah it does - thanks for the tip!

I've bought some BW400CN and Portra 160VC - I'm thinking maybe I've made life difficult for myself and I should have gone for ISO100 B&W instead. If I correct for ISO with what I've got do you think I'm likely to have problems, or am I better off getting some different film until I get the hang of it?

Who says you can't do flowers in black and white? :LOL:

Bronica SQ and Ilford F4+ film I think

4608732727_69e37fd8e9.jpg

4608733273_3e70fc1de3.jpg

Yeah it does - thanks for the tip!

I've bought some BW400CN and Portra 160VC - I'm thinking maybe I've made life difficult for myself and I should have gone for ISO100 B&W instead. If I correct for ISO with what I've got do you think I'm likely to have problems, or am I better off getting some different film until I get the hang of it?

:thinking:

I'm about the least technical photographer on here so I'd suggest throwing the question open to the field!

Apologies for spamming the thread, I've been doing quite a bit of scanning recently. Fortunately this roll isn't from Dorset so you won't have to put up with more fields and seascapes. These are shot with Kodak TRI-X 400 and I have to say I'm very impressed with its performance in really harsh light. I decided to get my black and white negatives printed and developed at Peak Imaging so I had something to work towards when it came to scanning but in the end I decided to go for a lower contrast look.

1. Slightly default pet shot here, please forgive me :p.

2. I quite like this although it's a shame the mare's feet are cut off at the bottom.

3. I really need to work on keeping my horizons level...

4. In my defence this one was actually skewed on purpose, it's really hard to frame something so tall :(.

Last edited:
***Who says you can't do flowers in black and white?**

........as long as you enjoy it then why not......in my experience it's very difficult to get a very good B/W shot that's not boring.

Back