Show us yer film shots then!

How big is a 5x4 from your fancy scanner? A B&W merged scan from my V500 is only about 70-100mb although I just remembered I only bother scanning them at 1200 at 2400 they're a little ungainly and I currently don't need to print a mural.

I haven't tried any large format on the Cezanne yet. I ran some black and white 5x4 through the Howtek drum scanner (courtesy of @RaglanSurf) which at 2000dpi gave a 67 megapixel image of almost 400MB, the Cezanne's output at 2000dpi would be similar I'd guess.

That might partly because I only do PP in Aperture, which is non-destructive editing

Any editing you do on an 8 bit image will affect the information within that image the same way, Chris, regardless of the program. If you make a hefty Curves adjustment pushing the mid tones for example you're going to be compressing the highlights, you'll do that exactly the same whether you're in Photoshop Elements, CS, Aperture, Lightroom, GIMP or anything else. Aperture can't magic more information into an 8 bit file, it is what it is. :)

As with photography in general there are no rights or wrongs in any of this, as long as you achieve the results you want it doesn't really matter how you arrived there. I shoot RAW in digital and scan film as TIFF because I like to keep the highest amount of information I can right the way throughout the entire process until the very end, but that's just me. Plenty of digital shooters get great results shooting JPEG just the same as many film guys get great results scanning as JPEG. It's just however you want to work. :)

I haven't tried any large format on the Cezanne yet. I ran some black and white 5x4 through the Howtek drum scanner (courtesy of @RaglanSurf) which at 2000dpi gave a 67 megapixel image of almost 400MB, the Cezanne's output at 2000dpi would be similar I'd guess.

Jings! Though even at that you'd still be looking at about a hundred boxes of film before you fill a TB hard drive. So that's about £4k of film before you need ~£25 of hard drive and that is assuming an incredible 1:1 keeper rate!!

You're right, and I won't!

TBH it's much more the hassle factor than the cost. These days I can probably get a 3-4TB NAS for not much over £100, but it's probably got to be wired into the hub, which means in the living room, which means permission, it needs to be configured for backup AND for file storage, etc etc. It will happen one of these days, but scanning to TIFF would get me there much sooner, and probably well before I can know what an appropriate post-Aperture strategy is for me.

More to the point of this thread, I've yet to notice a significant difference in PP flexibility with images I've scanned to TIFF compared to those just to JPEG (based on my practice and my observation, definitely YMMV!). That might partly because I only do PP in Aperture, which is non-destructive editing, and rarely use plugging or external editors, so there's generally only two save-to-JPEG steps in the whole workflow. If I was going in and out of various plugins like some workflows I've seen, I think the disadvantages of starting from a 8-bit JPEG would be much more apparent. But I could be entirely wrong here, I'm learning all the time!

Yeah I can sympathise with this though LVM on my server means dropping a new disk is trivial and the rest of the house is set up to use that as local storage.

A few I don't think I've posted before. I sent 5 rolls of 35mm and 6 rolls of 120 to be devved today so there'll be some new frames of dodginess coming up soon! :p

t7P0EWN.jpg

guKRDDs.jpg

fQBm5tf.jpg

rdC0voy.jpg

igjSn7t.jpg

that is assuming an incredible 1:1 keeper rate!!

S'what I was thinking, I highly doubt in my lifetime I will shoot a thousand pictures worth scanning.
Ok you wanna share, well you don't need 6000dpi tif to post to faceache.

rationalize or be a clutter magnet for life...:D

A few I don't think I've posted before. I sent 5 rolls of 35mm and 6 rolls of 120 to be devved today so there'll be some new frames of dodginess coming up soon! :p

Paul, I really liked the compactness of the Canon shot, against the background almost suggesting a union flag, and also the airplane, with either reflections or strangely transparent windows!

Oh yes... the Concorde shot didn't come through when I first looked at it (imgur was VERY slow to load) but I meant the front-on shot of the cockpit area...

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh I assumed it wasn't autumnal enough!

If I took it down, d'you think they'd notice? Oh darn it, TBY's watching!

Oh No... not Mow Cop again. Yes, more Mow Cop shots, this tie on a Ross Ensign 820 and Fuji Acros 100.

Mow-Cop1 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Just added a little vignette for mood.

Those birds really add atmosphere (y)

I was hoping to have my roll back from Ilford by today. 120 came back really quickly.

OOOoo....I'd have a stab at printing that...:)

it looks like it might be a bit grainy though ?

Thanks folks. I had to wait for quite a while for the crows but I had thought it might be a better shot with them in.
jox, its fine on my screen, think it might be one of them flicker things.

Thanks folks. I had to wait for quite a while for the crows but I had thought it might be a better shot with them in.
jox, its fine on my screen, think it might be one of them flicker things.
I wouldn't expect it on across 100 really, be my crappy netbook screen

Paul, you are achieving a really nice look here and in the shot in the next post after this, tell us more about the camera, lens, film and scanning?

Thanks very much, Adrian! :)

I'm back at home now and my film is in mine and Hooley's little scanning den in Leeds so I can't check exactly what the one you've quoted above was taken on. I think the coffee shop one was taken on my OM20 with a 50mm f/1.8 and Fuji 100 film, the metal horse in the shopping centre was my EOS 10 with 24-105L and Poundland Agfa Vista.

With the scanning there's nothing clever going on, no profiling or anything like that, I'm literally just playing until they start to look (and feel) right to me. The Screen Cezanne scanner is a new beast and I'm still getting used to how it does certain things best, colour correction doesn't seem as quick and easy as the DPL software we had driving the drum scanner so I'm mostly doing that in post-processing on the 16 bit TIFF. The coffee shop shot actually had very little colour correction or general tweaking, the shopping centre one had some slight tweaking of Curves, a gentle overall 'S' curve to give it slightly bolder contrast and a little on the blue and green channels just in the shadows to even things up a bit. What I'm doing in post-processing is really dependant on the subject matter and film type so I'm dealing with each image as an individual rather than making a preset that will apply the same processing to everything, at the most the actual processing (not including dust spotting) is taking at the very most 2 or 3 minutes. It's all fairly quick and basic stuff.

Hope that kind of explains it, and thanks again for the kind words. :)

Back