Show us yer film shots then!

Thanks and I read about Sospel that it was heavily bombed by the Nazis and rebuilt so you could probably do some now and then shots. (y)

I actually asked around not too long ago for old photos (b&w postcards tend to be more readily available) that I could scan and although I had a couple of positive responses, nothing more has come of it.

To be fair i haven't chased it up either so.......

I have come across a few images on the internet but the chances of obtaining a file sufficient to offer a half reasonable A4 ish sized print is fairly slim.
My idea was to print on A3 paper, the two scenes, before and after, alongside each other.

If quality of the old image makes enlarging impossible then an alternative might be for example , a contact print from a 5x7 ( or 5x4) negative alongside a similar sized print of the scanned postcard / old photo.

You've certainly rekindled my interest in making the effort ;)

I actually asked around not too long ago for old photos (b&w postcards tend to be more readily available) that I could scan and although I had a couple of positive responses, nothing more has come of it.

To be fair i haven't chased it up either so.......

I have come across a few images on the internet but the chances of obtaining a file sufficient to offer a half reasonable A4 ish sized print is fairly slim.
My idea was to print on A3 paper, the two scenes, before and after, alongside each other.

If quality of the old image makes enlarging impossible then an alternative might be for example , a contact print from a 5x7 ( or 5x4) negative alongside a similar sized print of the scanned postcard / old photo.

You've certainly rekindled my interest in making the effort ;)

Yeah I had that problem with some very small images and thought it would be silly to post a tiny picture of good quality or enlarge it to a fuzzy 1000px to match by today shot.
But Local library\museum might have some old pictures if not then the main town for the province (if that's the right word) might have some. Look at this way Asha you only have to do it once for Sospel and it doesn't take long then go back to your scenery etc. h'mm well unless you want to do the IOM etc o_O

Entrance to probably the oldest pub in England
Oreston 50mm Vista
JvAsY42.jpg

Last edited:
Given a cassette of July 2012 dated Ilford Delta 3200 by a Camera Club Member I decided to use it in October to support 'International Communist Cameras Days - Red October' as organised on 'Flickr' so I loaded my East German Praktica MTL5 and used a 'Glorious Soviet made JUPITER-9 85mm f2 ' that I had got in our Camera Club Auction years ago for £1-00 ! Film was rated at 800 ASA as a 'Guess' and processed in home-made FX-15 ( Acutol-S Formula) -- negs were a bit 'Thin' -- needed more development. I did Darkroom Prints on Ilford MGIV Glossy with my Durst M305 with El-Nikkor 50mm f4 lens and scanned Prints with my HP 4570 flatbed + Vuescan Pro + FastStone Image Viewer.
MTL5 Delta 3200 03 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
MTL5 Delta 3200 04 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
MTL5 Delta 3200 06 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Indeed I wanted to show the entrance shot to my few shots of the pub in group 600 #23,991 but the entrance shot was in another camera :rolleyes:

I find old pubs very interesting ( I also find new pubs interesting ) and the number of places that claim to be the oldest pub in the UK is huge but the Royal Standard is certainly one with a good claim.

I find old pubs very interesting ( I also find new pubs interesting ) and the number of places that claim to be the oldest pub in the UK is huge but the Royal Standard is certainly one with a good claim.

This is when a 20mm lens in useful when you can't "step back". I'm ignorant on LF and might be right in saying "LF had a monopoly on wide angle shots until the 1960s"?

Let's face it Andy, you find any pub very interesting! ;)

A man after my own heart. (y) :)

That's just up the road from here, a very peculiar place.
Indeed, everything in the pub is out of plumb, to the extent that if you put a marble on one of the window ledges or tables there, it appears to roll up hill. o_O

Last edited:
Quick little test as I haven't uploaded properly for a while. I have ditched Flickr and when uploading to here, the compression seems to kill it a little so let's see how this looks. I can't remember if I have uploaded it before so apologies if I have.

Kodak Ektar 100 - Hasselblad 500cm (Don't look Brian, I had a camera costing more than £10 by a body of water, and sand, and atop a cliff in the same trip ;) )

GM090517243853-20170517-11.jpg

Looks pretty good here compression wise. Stunning photograph also chap, nicely done keeping those highlights!

Thank you, Jonathan. They weren't as bright as you might think with the early morning light, I guess. But you know how colour neg handles highlights, not sure I can take the credit for that.

Aye, very nice but why didn't you use a digital camera? They're much better aparently. :)

I find that, if I add too many megapixels then the image becomes bloated and full. Digital megapixels are an electronic type of calorie you see. If a photo has too many of them it can get fat.

;)

Outing with my 'Gift' Rolleiflex 'T' loaded with 1998 Dated Fuji Reala 100 rated 50ASA and home-processed.
Mountnessing Post Mill
Rollei T Reala 03 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Rollei T Reala 04 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
3 Friends who meet up in Brentwood Town Centre most days for a 'Chat' and Pose for me when they see me with an Old Camera !
Rollei T Reala 02 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
A Strange ' Ancient Burial Ground' off Kings Road Brentwood -- you can see one of the Old Tombs in the Background.
Rollei T Reala 01 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Old Houses in Ingatestone Village
Rollei T Reala 05 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Not quite right -- I get the 'Gifts' mostly from Deceased Camera Club Members ! This was given by the Sons of Humphrey Bishop -- ex-Policeman who I have known since I was 15 years old and he was a young 20 something 'Bobby on The Beat' and I used to develop films for him ! He died aged 89. Hope I can make it to then as I have loads of his Outdated Films to finish !

I knew I'd have very little chance of holding the camera steady in this situation, so in for a penny, in for a pound with some ICM . :)

I think it was a 1 second exposure with a deliberate pan to the left.

Olympus OM-2n
Zuiko Auto-S 50mm f/1.8
Fuji Superia 100 (expired 2008)

Bugs and Sylvester ICM
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Wentworth Falls, N.S.W. Australia. Scanned from outdated Fuji Provia transparency .

View attachment 294702
I really liked that one, David. It's hard for me to judge aspect ratio as I have to scroll up and down for many portrait images, but was that a vertical pano shot, eg XPan?

BTW, suffering from brain-fade, I read your intro comment as "Wentworth Falls, North South West Australia" for some reason... when it's actually East, of course (no excuse, as a former wingeing pom)! ;)

Yet again, one more from my run through old scans for ones that I've not posted before. This one is from the River Dart, on Dartmoor a few years back during the Autumn. Thoughts very welcome :)

Autumn on the River Dart by Jonathan Woods, on Flickr
I'm never quite sure about commenting on photos on here, and there's the caveat that I can't see it all in one go on here (though I have looked at the flickr version)... On my screen I really, really like the top bit (roughly square?), but I found the bottom 3rd really visually confusing. Bear in mind though that when I once commented to Bruce Percy that I found an image confusing (the cheek of it!) he replied "I’m delighted that you thought the new image was confusing…. I mean, why should everything be clear and spelled out for us?" :oops: :$

and interesting are shots of the weirdist pubs in Uk this one is said to be leaning because of coal mining below (not my photo)

I live very close to the Crooked house pub, one of the trick is to put a marble on the table and watch it roll up hill ! The more beer you have the straighter it feels !

Last edited:
I'm never quite sure about commenting on photos on here, and there's the caveat that I can't see it all in one go on here (though I have looked at the flickr version)... On my screen I really, really like the top bit (roughly square?), but I found the bottom 3rd really visually confusing. Bear in mind though that when I once commented to Bruce Percy that I found an image confusing (the cheek of it!) he replied "I’m delighted that you thought the new image was confusing…. I mean, why should everything be clear and spelled out for us?" :oops: :$

Always happy to hear feedback Chris! I'm interested to know what you find confusing about it?

Always happy to hear feedback Chris! I'm interested to know what you find confusing about it?

It's a lovely shot Jonathan. I think one thing that might add a sense of confusion is that I *think* we're looking downstream in the photo. The vast majority of long exposure shots of flowing water tend to be taken looking upstream, often towards a waterfall or weir or something with the trails of milky water coming towards us, and I think having it theother way around might add a slight element of strangeness.

Now you're going to tell me it's looking upstream, aren't you? :D

Back