Other Macro Show us your macro rig

Hi Robin, you will need a step down ring, 72-62 plus zoomed in a little the vignetting won’t be a problem and even less so with the 2x extender attached.
.... Thanks Alby! Yes the 72-62mm step-down ring works but I had to add a 62mm ring in between as a spacer so the STF-8 lamp clamps could grip securely but still be adjustable. My solution was to find a cheap (cost me £2) secondhand 62mm Hoya UV filter and smash out the glass.

Last edited:
.... Thanks Alby! Yes the 72-62mm step-down ring works but I had to add a 62mm ring in between as a spacer so the STF-8 lamp clamps could grip securely bet still be adjustable. My solution was to find a cheap secondhand 62mm Hoya UV filter and smash out the glass.
Nice one Robin ;)

I looked out a NIKON PB-5 Bellows that Wife was given with a NIKON FG by a Widow Lady many years ago and never uses. I was GIVEN a 55mm f2.8 Micro-Nikkor by an old 92 year old Camera Club member so tried it out ( reversed) on the PB-5 using the FG with TTL flash from a Mecablitz 45CL4 + NIKON Module on my Copy Stand.
BELLOWS PB5 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Hi, everybody. I'm new here but not new to macro photography. I have experimented with many rigs to diffuse light from a flash. Lighting an immobile specimen in the macro studio is fairly easy, but getting good light on a living, possibly moving specimen with a handheld rig is more challenging.

Some things that I have learned from my trials is that any handheld rig does not fit all shooting situations, that the best rig I can contrive still has compromises, and that simple is better... and importantly, that a quite satisfactory system for most situations can be made easily and cheaply.

Currently I use an on-camera Speedlite directed to a fan-shaped diffuser made out of a sheet of translucent stationery affixed to the end of the lens. This arrangement eliminates cables and brackets. A snoot with a reflective interior extends from the flash head to the edge of the diffuser. The snoot boosts the light by about a stop, plus makes the assembly stable to wind gusts.

The diffuser and snoot store flat and go anywhere.

I have seen variations of this scheme here and there used by many over the years. A photo of my setup follows as well as an example photo. I'm posting more photos to the macro thread.

SL_03492.jpg

M2_D2909 Tree frog.jpg

Back