Show us your Star Trails

MWHCVT

In Memoriam
Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
I love my star trail photography, I live for cloudless nights, I'll even go out when there is snow in the ground so long as there's no cloud around :) so given this shiny new forum dedicated to all things after the sun has gone to bed I thought why not have a community thread to show of your star trails...oviously comments on the photos are more than welcomed I'm sure anyone who post there photos in this thread will appreciate them...but not everyone is after full critique all the time (y) though personally I'd encourage anyone to also have your own thread to get critique on photos you post in this thread (y) and of course you should post a link to that thread if you have one (y)

To get the thread rolling I'll post a couple of my own recent star trails :)

Snowy Star trail

88/365 (819)
by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Only about 5 minutes this one but it was more for my first ever pass of the ISS

ISS OVER CHESTERTON WINDMILL
by mwhcvt, on Flickr

So anyway that's my initial offerings to get it going, lets see everyone else's star trails (y)

what are these cloudless skies of which you speak - they are mythical surely :LOL:

I would show you mine, but tbh I suck at star trails , I always either over expose the sky , or wind up with a completely black shot with only stars visible - I'm waiting for you to get mobile so I can attend a nightschool workshop and learn how to do it without cocking up.

Having said that I'm not really qualified to give crit on yours, so I'll stick to aesthetic not technical but I would say the top one is beautiful , the lower one the sky isn't maybe strong enough to keep the attention so I might be tempted to crop to the bottom third to give the land more dominance

what are these cloudless skies of which you speak - they are mythical surely :LOL:

I would show you mine, but tbh I suck at star trails , I always either over expose the sky , or wind up with a completely black shot with only stars visible - I'm waiting for you to get mobile so I can attend a nightschool workshop and learn how to do it without cocking up.

Having said that I'm not really qualified to give crit on yours, so I'll stick to aesthetic not technical but I would say the top one is beautiful , the lower one the sky isn't maybe strong enough to keep the attention so I might be tempted to crop to the bottom third to give the land more dominance

We do get clear nights I promise, we had one here on Tuesday night I know as it was flipping cold when I went to put my bins out :eek: I'll be sure to oblige as soon as mobile...though will be a difficult on as need them illusive clear skies :bang: not sure what you mean cropping to the bottom third? Other than that of cause thanks for the comments

I jest, its actually clear here currently - but its freezing and I'm knackered so I won't be going out toggering - what I was suggesting with the second pick is to crop the top two thirds off and have it as a landscape format picture showing the land larger in the frame so that that's the main point of interest and the ISS is just a leading line ;)

I jest, its actually clear here currently - but its freezing and I'm knackered so I won't be going out toggering - what I was suggesting with the second pick is to crop the top two thirds off and have it as a landscape format picture showing the land larger in the frame so that that's the main point of interest and the ISS is just a leading line ;)

Ah yeah I see what you mean know (y) ;)

Knew that building before I even saw your title to it :) lens fogging is a real PITA that I'm still experimenting on a 100% proven fix..looking forward to getting back to that building

With it being so close to me its rude not to take a picture or two there.
I have one thing I want to try but I'm not sure its the best solution. However if it works its easy to do

With it being so close to me its rude not to take a picture or two there.
I have one thing I want to try but I'm not sure its the best solution. However if it works its easy to do

Well if it works please drop me a PM (y)

I will try it on an old filter. If its good enough to stop a mirror steaming up in a bathroom with the shower on it should do

Last edited:
http://www.carpro.uk.com/fogfight-100ml-kit/

Just not sure how it will react on a lens. May lead to more flaring.

Interesting, though I'll be honest I'd be very cautious on putting on the front element of a lens it would decently be something for a cheap filter...that said if it does work great, a filter will rarely affect star trailing as a general rule you tend to stay away from bright light sources...if you were to try and put it onto your lens spray it onto a cloth first then use that or apply to the lens as otherwise you risk fluids making inside the lens

Interesting, though I'll be honest I'd be very cautious on putting on the front element of a lens it would decently be something for a cheap filter...that said if it does work great, a filter will rarely affect star trailing as a general rule you tend to stay away from bright light sources...if you were to try and put it onto your lens spray it onto a cloth first then use that or apply to the lens as otherwise you risk fluids making inside the lens
As I said not sure if it will affect. Things but it will only go on a cheap filter but it does work so could be a simple fix I haven't got round to trying with all the weather though. Haven't had any other ideas on a way to stop it.

no doubt I'll get a prod in the ribs from Matt if I don't add this, given I so rarely do them. Taken with the M25 just across the field, stacked 30sec shots, about an hours worth on a freezing cold night here in north London. The 'sunrise' is of course light pollution from the motorway and Sth Mimms service area.

Startrails over the M25
by Yvonne White - WhiteGoldImages, on Flickr

no doubt I'll get a prod in the ribs from Matt if I don't add this, given I so rarely do them. Taken with the M25 just across the field, stacked 30sec shots, about an hours worth on a freezing cold night here in north London. The 'sunrise' is of course light pollution from the motorway and Sth Mimms service area.

Startrails over the M25
by Yvonne White - WhiteGoldImages, on Flickr

Those services provided me a jolly nice little sleep on the way back from last years meet at Reculver, knowing the level of pollution down that was it's a damn good effort (y) would I prod you in the ribs :D I'm friendly like that

Knew that building before I even saw your title to it :) lens fogging is a real PITA that I'm still experimenting on a 100% proven fix..looking forward to getting back to that building
Since I got a dew band heater I've never had a problem with lens fogging - its a bit of a pain carrying a 12volt battery and the leads though.

Must get up and do Chesterton some time too:)

Since I got a dew band heater I've never had a problem with lens fogging - its a bit of a pain carrying a 12volt battery and the leads though

I've been trying to get my hands on a decent one, so if you've a recommendation that would be brilliant (y) and I love your broadway :) likes like it was a little warmer than my trip there (y) the colours are fantastic and to my mind shows that while we tend not to like light pollution for star shooting it can look great :clap:

They are good. I've never had a problem with mine. You don't need to use a controller or regulator for it but I do on mine just to be safe.
Not sure what size you need but they are available in different lengths.
Hows the foot doing? you must be back on the road soon hopefully

They are good. I've never had a problem with mine. You don't need to use a controller or regulator for it but I do on mine just to be safe.
Not sure what size you need but they are available in different lengths.
Hows the foot doing? you must be back on the road soon hopefully

The foot is no longer having to be dressed thankfully bit the skin isn't quite right just yet but on a positive note I have now started to look at cars on auto trader ;)

-1200_high_crop
by david.williams221162, on Flickr

This is the best I have managed from my back garden, I was quite surprised at the result as we have terrible light pollution here (north London just across the A1 from where Yv took her picture). I shot in RAW and managed to get a decent tone in the sky before stacking.

We get lots of planes here which I quite like the trails from. Also neighbours poorly aimed "security lights" shining on the back of the house which I don't like.

David

Last edited:
Not sure I've got any star trails digitised - I have an old rangefinder and wide angle that I bought specifically for the job - no stacking or battery worries! I'll have to have a dig and see if I can find the negs though and I'm not sure where they might be (not played since the op and pre op memories are a little ... lacking!)

Personally, I like it when a plane flies through a shot, it adds an extra dimension IMO as do satellites. Not usually so keen on light pollution though!

A trawl through my Flickr stream threw this one up and it was long enough before the op that I can actually remember a little about the circumstances! It was shot from Anissaras beach a few miles East of Heraklion in Crete. It wasn't long after sunset - just long enough to be a dark sky with no residual colour. The long streak is a plane coming in to land and the shorter one on the horizon was a liner. The dots at sea level were fishing boats and the blob to the left is Dhia island. The beach and sea are lit by street lights. The camera was mounted on a clamp which was mounted on a sunbed. I was a little pished, having met a few old friends after the flight... (Krasi Aspro, Ouzo Ploumari and Metaxa Pende-Asterion!!!) The halo to the left, over the island is probably on its way to the other airport which is close to where we stay but unfortunately we can't fly there direct from our local airport - besides, we get a very good deal on car hire from a place in Anissaras as well as them picking us up from the airport and putting us up for the first and last nights at an extremely reasonable rate!

DSC_7058
by gpn63, on Flickr

Fab YV love how its cantered on th branch top stuff well done
Startrails over the M25 by Yvonne White - WhiteGoldImages, on Flickr

And a very good one it is too, Nick.

Some star trails from Mid Wales

Startrails004.jpg

_dir7780edit_1024.jpg

Here is my only one I've done and have been dying to have another go but weather keeps stopping play.

This was only half the shots I wanted to include but my lens fogged up so I had to cut a lot out :(

Star trail over Morton Corbet
by davemmo5, on Flickr
Not far from where I used to live. Only ever been there in daylight in the years before I became a togger. Lovely shot.

Back