Show Us Your Workstations ( a bit of lockdown fun )

TG.

Name
Tel
Edit My Images
No
Just thought I would start this thread to relieve some of the boredom, so let's see your photo editing workstations. I will start :cool:

Hope it's in the right section, if not perhaps a mod could move.

WORK-STATION.jpg-resized.jpg

Well looks like that idea died a death [emoji1787]

Can't win them all, maybe its been done before.
I think it was done about 10 years ago, but I thought it would be good to do an update, see what people have updated, never mind [emoji849]

This is after a tidy..

154354919_10165214418395227_2102518613596251105_o.jpg

I've spotted, other than mine two rather nice looking mechanical RGB keyboards. I am on cherry brown keys and it is the nicest thing to type on. I edit in the dark so seeing the keys makes keyboard short cuts an awful lot easier.

My main editing machine for the past 18 months

9307576C-4785-4387-BE9C-8DB03EB546D4.jpeg

My desk setup but this is totally for the day job since the pandemic started, I haven’t edited photos here for a while

98CAC2A3-E2C4-43E2-86D2-5C67A1750888.jpeg

Last edited:
I've spotted, other than mine two rather nice looking mechanical RGB keyboards

I do a lot of typing. Best investment I ever made. This is my second. Cat chewed through the cable on my Das.

Are they good keyboards?
If you like mechanical keyboards, absolutely. I went for the Razer one mainly because the Das was hard to replace, and more expensive than the Black Widow with Cherry Blue's. Also, the Razer one has light up keys which helps when typing in poor light.

If you like mechanical keyboards, absolutely. I went for the Razer one mainly because the Das was hard to replace, and more expensive than the Black Widow with Cherry Blue's. Also, the Razer one has light up keys which helps when typing in poor light.

Thanks, never tried a mechanical keyboard, think my daughter might have one.
What would you say are the pros and cons please?

What would you say are the pros and cons please?

Con is expense. Also noise if it's in earshot. My office is upstairs and I have to shut my door if typing when Mrs H goes to bed. I have Cherry Blues though which require the most force and make the most noise. YMMMV.

Pro is (for me) far less typing errors due to conscious weight required to depress the keys, ease of cleaning because the keys are removable, but most importantly, typing comfort. You also have build quality although you could probably buy 5 keyboards for the price of a decent mechanical.

Con is expense. Also noise if it's in earshot. My office is upstairs and I have to shut my door if typing when Mrs H goes to bed. I have Cherry Blues though which require the most force and make the most noise. YMMMV.

Pro is (for me) far less typing errors due to conscious weight required to depress the keys, ease of cleaning because the keys are removable, but most importantly, typing comfort. You also have build quality although you could probably buy 5 keyboards for the price of a decent mechanical.

Thank you for that, not sure my uses require one, but good idea when asked for present suggestions.

Thank you for that, not sure my uses require one, but good idea when asked for present suggestions.

I didn't think so either - and it probably is more of an indulgence if I am being honest. However when you think how long you spend in front of a PC - and the time you spend interacting with the keyboard it's maybe not such a bad investment. For the price of 2 months worth of takeaways you can have something that'll last you years and bring some much needed tactility to your computing experience.

It's a very tactile thing to use and that to me alone makes it stand head and shoulders above any other keyboard I've had before. I'll never not buy a mechanical one after having this. I know they are the choice of gamers - and I do not game but still...I wanted it. I got mine for around £150 - which is a lot for a keyboard - but then I spent nearly £6000 on the tower and £1000 on the screen so it's a tiny fraction of the cost.

Indeed there is more noise - but the feedback is lovely and it actually feels very natural to use. Another plus is the backlighting on the keyboard at night - makes using your keyboard short cuts much easier. I can type though without looking a the keyboard - only with one digit per hand though.

I'd pick a switch though with a relatively short actuation - 2mm is ok but it's more than the membrane keyboard you will presently have. I reckon a silver switch would be really lovely to also use.

For your info re picking the right keys

Corsair and Razer seem to have this market cornered.

Last edited:
Don't scrimp on a decent chair.

I would recommend these guys but there are plenty of decent gaming seats out there for every budget. This has simply banished backache from my sitting arrangements. Long editing sessions are a doozy on this. Sadly the cowhide has worn badly - so I'd recommend leather or an alcantara base.

20210224_204141.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TG.
I've spotted, other than mine two rather nice looking mechanical RGB keyboards. I am on cherry brown keys and it is the nicest thing to type on. I edit in the dark so seeing the keys makes keyboard short cuts an awful lot easier.
I do a lot of typing. Best investment I ever made. This is my second. Cat chewed through the cable on my Das.

It's so weird, I've never seen mechanical keyboards mentioned on this forum before. I've spent the last week or so reading up on them and deciding which one to get, and now I come on TP and there's a discussion on them :LOL:

I didn't realise what a minefield mechanical keyboards are. red/brown/blue switches, full-sized/TKL/60% sizes, RGB or white backlights. I've been reading a lot on the r/MechanicalKeyboards subreddit and I feel like a noob buying his first camera all over again and realising there are too many options! :LOL:

At work one of my team has a mechanical keyboard and when we are skyping it sounds like he is bludgeoning a tortoise to death.

BTW, I don't suppose any of you guys fancy nipping round and tidying up my workspace? :whistle:

Last edited:
Look at all you with the luxury of a room to yourself :D
I edit in our main living/dining room (it was either that or the sunroom which is too bright on sunny days and too cold in the winter).
As a consequence I have a keyboard that has short-throw keys that is quieter and I have to keep my desk tidy too.

What is the tablet your editing on?

It’s a 2018 iPad Pro 11 inch, and I’m using the Lightroom iPad app and the Apple Pencil. A really fun, quick and enjoyable way to edit photos if you can come up with a workflow that works for you. It absolutely flies through 24MP Raw files without even getting warm, it’s brilliant. It looks tiny in that photo but in use it’s fine. I checked and the image is almost the same size as using a 14 inch laptop screen. It’s actually slightly larger on the iPad if you go full screen for culling purposes

Last edited:
It’s a 2018 iPad Pro 11 inch, and I’m using the Lightroom iPad app and the Apple Pencil. A really fun, quick and enjoyable way to edit photos if you can come up with a workflow that works for you. It absolutely flies through 24MP Raw files without even getting warm, it’s brilliant. It looks tiny in that photo but in use it’s fine. I checked and the image is almost the same size as using a 14 inch laptop screen. It’s actually slightly larger on the iPad if you go full screen for culling purposes

I thought it was an iPad, the more and more I looked at it I couldn't decide lol. Thanks

Back