'Shrouds of The Somme'

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Olympic Park. Stratford, East London. :
To mark 100 years since the end of the First World War, 72,396 shrouded figures will be laid out in rows, shoulder to shoulder covering an area over 4000 square metres across the South Park Lawn (next to the ArcelorMittal Orbit). Each figure represents a British serviceman killed at The Battle of the Somme who has no known grave, many of whose bodies were never recovered from the battlefields.

The shrouded figures represent those who are listed on the Thiepval Memorial in France – data sourced from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. The figures are covered and bound by the handstitched shrouds, taking on their own form, twisting and bending into their own unique shape. The display provides a moment for reflection about the physical reality of the war, in approximately 1:6 scale.

Shrouds of the Somme, Stratford, LONDON by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Hasselblad 501CM + 50mm f4 CFi Distagon T*
B&W is 2007 dated Ilford XP400 Pro, Colour is 2006 dated Konica VX 400 Pro

It all really hits home when you see the wider view, however............ the second image with the single poppy is full of meaning, but my favourite (if anyone can have a 'favourite' of something like this) is the last. The shadows of the people are reminiscent of of the 'ghost soldier' images I've seen, and also remind me of the soldier silhouettes all the small towns round here have. It's a powerful image (to me).

I hadn't been aware of this Peter, so many thanks for highlighting it so graphically.

Back