Shutter count?

Good luck John. At least you've done a bit of research now, rather than find out months down the line. Inconvenient.......but should make it worthwhile.

Good luck John. At least you've done a bit of research now, rather than find out months down the line. Inconvenient.......but should make it worthwhile.

Thanks, yeah, I'm rather surprised with seeing a camera that I believe was made in 2007 have this much of a shutter count :(. I've never seen one over 100k to be honest and to buy one very close to 300k :help: :bang: hehe, I will be surprised if the shutter has never been replaced though!

Hope you get it sorted.

Be interesting if the shutter has never been changed how many more actuation's it would do.
Ok camera dealers say 150K but its like anything really, a car manufacturer will only give you warranty up to say 100K miles BUT and engine that is serviced and looked after will last many many more miles than that, so its only really a guide.

Thanks, yeah, I'm rather surprised with seeing a camera that I believe was made in 2007 have this much of a shutter count :(. I've never seen one over 100k to be honest and to buy one very close to 300k :help: :bang: hehe, I will be surprised if the shutter has never been replaced though!

Not a scientific study but interesting nevertheless:

http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/nikon_d300.htm

3,780,118 … 8,388,607

Alive: 13
Dead: 2

How can you even test for this much hehe.

That sort of prooves my point to what I was saying

Indeed, but 'Mint' is quite a specific description and it would be interesting to see if this camera would pass the trade description test!

Hi guys,

I explained the situation to them and that this time of the year I am very busy at work so can't stay at home waiting for collections etc, and they said they are happy to extend the warranty.

In the warranty documentation it now says this:

"This warranty hereby covers the above product against shutter failure for one year and against other manufacturing defects for six months from purchase date. Dates are as above."

Do you think this is good enough? Considering that shutters can fail at any moment even new...

Thanks!
John.

Do you think this is good enough? Considering that shutters can fail at any moment even new...

Thanks!
John.

No!
Of course what you do is up to you but they have sold you a camera with a blatantly false description so IMO you shouldn't give them the business - I simply wouldn't trust anything they say, including about warranty.
What will you do if it comes to selling the camera with that sort of shutter count ... who will buy it and for what?

No!
Of course what you do is up to you but they have sold you a camera with a blatantly false description so IMO you shouldn't give them the business - I simply wouldn't trust anything they say, including about warranty.
What will you do if it comes to selling the camera with that sort of shutter count ... who will buy it and for what?

I am with Gramps on this one, like you say it states on THEIR site about shutter counts and this one clearly does not conform with what THEIR own rules say.

Get a refund and get a camera cheaper with a lot less shutter count. (y)

As previously advised just send it back.

If your like me you will probably always have some doubt in the back of your mind wondering when its going to break down. I had a similar experience with a clocked car. I paid over the odds for a car which had done a lot more mileage than expected due to the condition. I handed the car back and received a refund.

Also, for £60.00 more you can get a brand new D7000 body from DR & HDEW. Have you considered this option? Even if you get your part ex gear back you will possibly get more for it on ebay than what CJ offered in Part ex.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Thanks for the information and advice as always.

It's just a bit hard for me because no one is ever home so to arrange a collection and delivery is a bit hard at this time of the year.

I have however asked them if they can refund me some of my money to match the condition as very used because it should not have been sold as mint in the first place and to keep the 1 year warranty.

I do have a D7000 but not sure if I should get another one, I like the size of the D300 and the weight, it feels really strong.

Thanks all as always for your advice.
- John.

I thought you could set your own format for the image number. If i am right (and may not be) then this may be a file location number.

ie
File 2
Folder 9
Image 1252

not just image 291252. Isn't the exif data the actual number? If so see if that matches

Here's something interesting,
I found a picture on flickr taken by my exact camera (searched the serial number, came up on EXIF data through flickr):

Taken on July 6, 2008 at 4.05PM BST
Shutter Count 119111

Thanks for the advice guys, have contacted the shop and Nikon to see if the shutter was ever replaced but will return if hasn't.

(y)

If it was bought when it was announced, and used 12 hours a day, every day, then if my arithmetic is correct, it was taking a shot roughly every two minutes.

The picture that you found - what was it of?

If it was bought when it was announced, and used 12 hours a day, every day, then if my arithmetic is correct, it was taking a shot roughly every two minutes.

The picture that you found - what was it of?

Dancers hehe will show you the link shortly.

John, ask them for a pre-paid label to return it, or they can refund postage when they credit you for the camera.
Personally i'd rather pay for the return myself, than keep it.

Last edited:
John, ask them for a pre-paid label to return it, or they can refund postage when they credit you for the camera.
Personally i'd rather pay for the return myself, than keep it.

Yeah, I've asked them for a partial refund as well as the warranty extension so will see what they say.

If nothing or they won't refund partially then I will just send it back to them and ask them to refund me the full price of the camera (I part exchanged my old camera and topped up for this D300).

Thanks all.

Just a quick question/thought.

Do you need to be within the 7 day rule of the distance regulations. Or doesn't this apply as the camera is not as described due to the high shutter count??????

Just something to be aware of, if/when you return or notify them of returning. If your discussing warranties/rebates etc, you need to keep an eye on the clock if the above applies. Otherwise you will be left with a camera which you possibly can't return.

Last edited:
No, no! Run away from that camera!

I once asked Nikon, what a shutter replacement would cost and the answer was then £280... and it's most probably not been cheaper here a year and a half later...

There'll be no problem in finding another soon (y) ... saw one just the other day over here in Denmark, if you're interested?

John, I would still send the camera back to be honest, what's to say that you don't use the camera much over the next 12 months and then BOOM, the shutter fails to operate, you'll then be royally ********d. There's also other problems with the shutter sync speed when it's gone past the manufacturers recommendation so although you may not notice it, the shutter won't be up to scratch compared to a younger one. Can't you have the camera collected from your work address at all?

Basically what I'm saying is stop feeling like you need to give in, at the end of the day you spent your hard earned cash and trade on this and it's worth less than what you traded in for! Can you not ask a neighbour / relative to have the camera collected from their address? You've done nothing wrong here so please don't keep that camera! ;)

Just had a quick look at the current list here... :D

D300, 15000 shots, £375
D300s, 11000 shots, incl. grip MBD10, £590

Price may be negotiated and the folks are registered users...

The lowest counter is a D300s with 9000 shots. Comes with a 16-85mm lens for £1000,-

There's a D300 in a local shop for £300. Unknown shutter count.

Hi guys,

Someone on a classifieds site (not saying where incase you get it before I do!) is selling a Nikon D300 mint condition, guaranteed less than 1,200 shots for £325 inc RMSD. I have contacted him and he states the reason for sale is that he is now in a band so has no more time for photography and he was an amateur photographer but never took the camera out in rain, heavy dust etc etc.

I'm tempted :p

We are tempted? :wacky: :D

If the figures are to be trusted, it sounds as good as it gets! Run man! Run! (y)

/edit:
Misread RMSD as some currency...
doh.gif

£325 sounds very reasonable. The ones I looked at earlier is around £375 and with more shots!

Last edited:
Try to make reasonable checks to ensure he is who he says he is and get some confirmation, call him on a landline number (not mobile) - be cautious before you pass your money over!

Try to make reasonable checks to ensure he is who he says he is and get some confirmation, call him on a landline number (not mobile) - be cautious before you pass your money over!

Hi Gramps,

Thanks for the info. He said he won't accept PayPal because of the high fees, but can I not cover the fees as a buyer?

Thanks
John.

Hi Gramps,

Thanks for the info. He said he won't accept PayPal because of the high fees, but can I not cover the fees as a buyer?

Thanks
John.

I would not buy anything off preloved or gumtree by paypal or bank transfer been there once lucky i only lost £50

I would not buy anything off preloved or gumtree by paypal or bank transfer been there once lucky i only lost £50

Wouldn't it be fine if it was PayPal for Goods as you get buyer protection?

Thanks.

Hi Gramps,

Thanks
John.

You could add the Paypal fees to his payment - paying by BT to someone you don't know and have no relationship with is risky, you have no protection!
You would be better off buying from a reputable dealer like Grays or from a well-established member of the forum here.

You could add the Paypal fees to his payment - paying by BT to someone you don't know and have no relationship with is risky, you have no protection!
You would be better off buying from a reputable dealer like Grays or from a well-established member of the forum here.

Thanks Gramps, will ask him this as I do understand the risks so only really want to pay by PayPal Goods/Services so in case it doesn't work etc and I can't get hold of him, at least I can get my money back.

Thanks (y)

Thanks all very much for your help and support.
Will see if this guy will take PayPal Goods and Services otherwise will back out :).

Just want a good pair of D300's :crying:

Thanks!
John.

Last edited:
Back