Shutter Count

Name
Liam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
So I’ve had My D7500 since mid December and I’ve not used it all that much to be fair,
Just curious I checked the shutter count today and it’s 2605,
Is this a lot for 2 months or is it about average,
I should of checked the count soon as I bought it new,
What is the expectancy of the shutter, I’ve seen around 100-150k
Should I be concerned or am I being paranoid,
Thanks

in the grand scheme of things it's not a lot considering 1,000 shots can easily be taken in a day at various events / air shows etc
also if you consider that in 12 months time at your current rate of usage your shutter count will be around 30,000 which is more than some but a lot less than others, it would take you 5 years at your current usage to reach the expected shutter life of that model

nothing to be concerned about

I should of checked the count soon as I bought it new,

If you can find your earliest shots they will have recorded the shutter count in the EXIF data.

I take around 4000 a week so yours is not alot . At your current rate the camera is still going to last you years and years

Just curious I checked the shutter count today and it’s 2605,
Is this a lot for 2 months or is it about average,

haha depends on whos is using it and for what.. I guarantee i will shoot more than that this weekend with 4 football (2 junior 2 adult games) and one ice hockey match to shoot

Cheers guys,
Had my D3200 for 5 year and that had just over 23,000 when I sold it
That was only 4fps and this D7500 is double so I need to stop reeling them off when no need to really

I knew a pro who said he was averaging 2400 a day doing sports.

And I'm sure it was Chase Jarvis who said he was having to replace shutters on pro bodies regularly because he was taking so many photos.

Cheers guys,
Had my D3200 for 5 year and that had just over 23,000 when I sold it
That was only 4fps and this D7500 is double so I need to stop reeling them off when no need to really

Just use it.

Really not a lot of point buying it and then not using it ‘just in case’! I’ve never had a shutter fail before I’ve outgrown the camera. It might happen one day, but at least I’ll have all the pictures and memories to fall back on rather than the regret of missed shots :)

My D7100's average is only around 2900 a month, although some months there's very heavy usage, and this year so far lots less.

Just use it.

Really not a lot of point buying it and then not using it ‘just in case’! I’ve never had a shutter fail before I’ve outgrown the camera. It might happen one day, but at least I’ll have all the pictures and memories to fall back on rather than the regret of missed shots :)
Yes just use it I tend to take a lot of shots but I've never had a shutter fail my first DLSR an entry level Canon 350D still works perfectly with a high shutter count and looking a bit battered
Most people including me get a new camera before the old one is worn out

Im shooting around 3000 a day at a wedding and the same for motorsports, yours has done nothing yet :)

And I used to think 4x rolls of film was too much!
And that was when you only got 8 shots a roll! ;)

Joking aside, that thought did cross my mind; when I used to do gig photography I'd probably take around 5 or 6 rolls of 24 or 36 exposure film to cover a 4 day indoor festival. These days photographers taking 'live action' type photos seem to think nothing of taking a few hundred shots per day. I sometimes wonder whether this becomes more a game of averages, but then again, is there anything wrong with stacking the odds in one's favour as much as possible? There's no film to buy or developing costs to factor in, just replacing worn out memory cards and cameras, which is still probably considerably cheaper than paying per roll of 36 clicks. Some things do change for the better. :)

Last edited:
2605 isn't a lot at all for a month's use, and I wouldn't worry about shutter life you've got plenty left.

Back