Shutter/Mirror Problem with Spotmatic F?

Name
Samuel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I just got a set of negatives back in the post and after flicking through the prints I was horrified to find that about 7 or 8 of them just had a gradually darker area on the right hand side, like when you set the flash sync wrong but I wasn't using flash. The only thing in common each of the negatives had were they were shot using 1/500 or 1/1000 with the 1/1000 generally having a larger dark area to the extent of nearly half the frame in some cases. I now think that the problem might be related to the mirror, as few weeks ago when I shooting a landscape at 1/60, the shutter fired, but the mirror didn't rise as there was no viewfinder blackout or mirror slap noise. At the time I thought it was nothing as that was the first and only time it had done that.

I've checked the mirror foam to see if its sticky, but its fine; I know this camera was serviced about 3 years ago as the previous owner told me he had got it done. The picture below is an example:

Anyone got any other ideas before I start going about getting it repaired/serviced?

Its a pity as I was trying out the new Portra 400 and its an excellent film, I tried shooting it at 800 and 1600 on a couple of frames and they came out fine when developed normally.

I had a spotty that could no longer shoot the fast shutter speeds.
It looks like the curtain rather than the mirror that is jamming with yours though.

The last time that I used the 1/1000'th or 1/500th setting was absolutely ages ago, probably sometime last summer so thats why I didn't notice any problem until now.

Do you think it could just be the shutter speeds going out of time? If so it probably time to get it serviced.

Samuel, as Joxby has said, it appears to be the fast speeds that are sticking. I suggest you work them i.e. keep firing those speeds (500 & 100) for ten minutes or so and then put a cheap, cheap B&W (home dev' for preference or C41 if you have cheap Asda lab nearby) film through the camera.

Let us know how it goes.

Although it may have been serviced, it's still an old camera at the end of the day - curtains aren't moving fast enough, it seems. +1 to Alistair's suggestion, helps to give it a bit of exercise.

Back