Shutter speed / aperture question

kennysarmy

Yeah but can your army do this?
Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
Last year I took some photographs at a Christmas Light Parade in Gloucester, this being one from the series:

Gloucester Christmas Lights & Lantern Parade by Jeff, on Flickr

It was taken on a Fuji XE2 with 23mm lens (f1.4) at 6400 ISO, f2.8 and 1/100th shutter speed.

It's the parade again on Sunday night and Marketing Gloucester have seen some of my images on Flickr and want me to try and take some shots for them so I want to ensure my camera is as best set up as possible.

So my question is this, with people walking and moving down the street like this is 1/100 th a good shutter speed to stick with? Should I reduce that down and maybe set the aperture a bit lower, say f2.0 so I can reduce the ISO down a bit more or do you think the images I took last year are about the best balance of ISO/aperture and shutter speed that I could have gone for.

Cheers.

If I look carefully at your picture at this scale in relation to the given used settings
and the conditions, I would say that you did very well:
• exposition is right
• surprisingly no disturbing noise —ISO
• DoF adequate — wide angle @ f2,8
• little noticeable blur — 1/100s

…for a shot w/o flash (using one would cause more negative than positive points).

Last edited:

If I look carefully at your picture at this scale in relation to the given used setting
and the conditions,I would say that you did very well:
• exposition is right
• surprisingly no disturbing noise —ISO
• DoF adequate — wide angle @ f2,8
• little noticeable blur — 1/100s

…for a shot w/o flash (using one would cause more negative than positive points).

Thanks - I did shoot RAW to allow some latitude on exposure and so I could darken some areas of less interest and control the highlights in the large lanterns. It also helped with the white balance too.

I might consider dropping to f2 and 1/80th setting these in manual and letting AUTO ISO do it's thing.

Hopefully this would not get too much movement in the people and the props.

As for the movement in the people and the props, your best chance is
attendance! The more people… the slower the croud!

I would consider going to f/1.4 for a higher SS *and* a lower ISO. If you work closer to HFD the DOF shouldn't be a problem.

On your camera the HFD is the FL as a percentage of the FL when set to f/16... in other words, 23% of 23ft for that lens which is ~ 6ft (a little less).
Every time you change the aperture by 2 you change the HFD by 2. So at f/8 the HFD is 2x farther ~11ft, f/4-22ft, f/2-44ft, f1.4- ~64ft. The closer to the HFD you place the subject/focus the greater the DOF will be... If you focus on a subject at 30ft using f/1.4 the DOF would be around 32ft.

*these are all SWAG numbers, but they are in the ballpark.

Back