Shutter won't go higher than 1/30

BarryG

I'll stick to my 2 inches
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I think I've had this with a previous camera, but I can't for the life of me remember what I did to fix it.

I bought a Samsung point and shoot (WB150f). When I am in Aperture priority, the shutter won't go higher than 1/30. This is the case if I point it outside or inside. Very odd.

I can make the shutter go higher by choosing ISO800, but I don't want to shoot at ISO800. I would have thought at ISO200 the shutter speed would be different inside vs outside.

Any help would be appreciate - it's very annoying ... and blurry!

take the lens cap off :)

its a confusing question... you say it changes if you up the ISO.. and that is normal.. but stays the same inside and outside which i presume are vastly diff light... what mode have you got the camera on ?

Just to check, apologies if this is too obvious, is it definitely 1/30 as opposed to 30" (i.e. 30 seconds)?
Most cameras have a maximum longest eposure of 30 seconds is the only reason I ask.

Are you changing the aperture and the shutter speed still won't change. Or is 1/30 what the camera believes is a correct exposure?

Some kind of automatic flash issue perhaps as that usually messes with slow shutter speeds?

The camera is telling me 1/30 is the correct exposure. Inside it shows as 1/30, then if I move it to the window it still shows 1/30.

I was thinking it was ISO related, but the contrast in light from inside to outside surely would push the shutter speed up to the 1/250+ area?

The camera is in Aperture Priority mode.

Even moving the ISO from say 200 to 800 only increases the shutter speed from 1/30 to 1/60.

is this with just one lens or have you got another lens you can try...if same wiht both lens then you can take that out.....

Thanks both. This is a fixed lens, so no option to swap it out sadly.

In shutter priority it moves freely up, however, it is massively underexposing over 1/90 - so they are linked somehow.

The ISO is on 200 and the flash is set to off.

Incidentally, the exposures all look fine in aperture priority - but I need faster than 1/30 and it's annoying me not knowing what is causing the problem.

Incidentally, the exposures all look fine in aperture priority - but I need faster than 1/30 and it's annoying me not knowing what is causing the problem.

I know it's obvious, but if it's correctly exposed at 1/30 don't you need a wider aperture

Bring on the obvious as I'm sure it's simple!

It's correctly exposed at ISO200 and 1/30 at f3.2 ... however, those settings are the same inside and outside with a correct exposure for each.

The exposure is only affected by ISO, shutter and aperture right? I'm not missing something?

I just had a play around in the auto settings and the camera does tend to like 1/30. I took a few test shots and each time it changed the ISO to ensure the shutter speed was 1/30.

Sadly, it's not advanced enough to have an auto-ISO option to set the minimum shutter speed.

I'll carry on looking, but all opinions and comments welcome!

Is there an Auto ISO feature? Maybe 1/30 is the correct exposure for the outdoor shot and If auto ISO is set and 1/30 being the shutter speed set point then the indoor shot will bump the ISO up to compensate.

I just saw this after my last post about the auto settings.

This all rings true, but the shutter being 1/30 is true when the ISO is set to a fixed amount too.

It's correctly exposed at ISO200 and 1/30 at f3.2 ... however, those settings are the same inside and outside with a correct exposure for each.
That makes no sense whatsoever.

If the light levels are different inside and outside, then the exposures will need to be different. And the only parameters which affect exposure are aperture, shutter speed and ISO.

So considering these two photos you've taken, at least one of the following three statements must be true:
- the light levels are not different;
- the settings are not the same;
- the photos are not equally correctly exposed.

I think it's time for you to post some sample images, with EXIF data intact.

You say the camera in is aperture priority mode. What happens when you change the aperture? You would expect a faster shutter speed for smaller F numbers & vice versa. Does it reduce the shutter speed as you increase the F number, or does it change the ISO instead? Is there an option to fix the ISO on that camera? If there is then fix it a ISO 200 and change the aperture and see what happens to the shutter speed.

Sounds like your camera is in need of a service as I reckon it is changing the shutter speed if your getting good exposures indoors and out, but saying it's 1/30?

ETA: Can you post the two shots you mention with EXIF?

Last edited:
Even moving the ISO from say 200 to 800 only increases the shutter speed from 1/30 to 1/60.

That can't be right (assuming aperture and light source are constant) , if its 1/30 at iso 200 , it should be 1/60 at iso 400, and 1/125 at iso 800

Last edited:
We need pictures. Something is clearly wrong, but without pictures and Exif data we're just speculating.

Thanks all. I'll get some test pictures done shortly and post them in here.

I should have done that in the first place, but I thought I was being thick and missed something obvious.

Is it possible it's trying its hardest to not go below 1/30 to avoid camera shake? Ie, it chooses to up the ISO instead? (Check for a maximum shutter speed setting, maybe)

Back