Sick - I bust the 100-400L

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Just been out hunting for Buzzards and notice that it wouldn't 'pump' as easily as normal and the 'Smooth / Tight' ring wouldn't turn properly - it was then I looked at the underside of the lens and felt sick to the stomach.

Two grooves up the barrel where I guess a piece of grit or two has got in :(

I am insured both for my photography and household so I guess a claim could be coming my way - has anyone used the Canon repair service at all and how long do such things take, will drop it at my local camera shop in the morning, I bought it from them so perhaps they can help.

Got some Buzzards though :)

Oh dear. Hope it gets fixed speedily

Sorry to hear that, i hope you get it sorted ASAP

Permission to drink beer please.........
img8075to9.jpg

img8074eb1.jpg

Nasty !!!

Maybe a chance to change to something else when money comes through - not entirely convinced about this lens imo !

Not on the hill for a bit then !?

It's actually a common fault on the 100-400 L IS I'm afraid but it is fixable. The last person I spoke to who had the problem had to wait 3 weeks for it to be fixed but the time is very variable (who you use, how busy they are etc etc).

BIG UP TO CANON !

Got the 100-400 back, under warranty.......

Replacement : AF - System
Replacement : Fixed Barrel
General Cleaning
Focus Ring Unit
Barrel Ass'y Fixed
Warranty repair

Brilliant !

great result. So how old is it - that you thought it may not be covered under warranty?

1st Class Result!!

That is just mental. No way something like that should be covered by a warranty, in my opinion. Top marks to Canon!

thats it !!!! how many folk will be calling canon today ...... great result.... bet nikon wouldnt do it !!!!!!!!!

Thats impressive service! I sent a Nikon lens ( inside warranty) for repair on 20th March, still waiting.......
Allan

That is just mental. No way something like that should be covered by a warranty, in my opinion. Top marks to Canon!

Having sat and thought about this I am of the opinion that there was an internal failure and not a piece of grit as first thought, perhaps a screw loose in the lock / friction ring ?

This is just an opinion mind, honestly I don't care, I have a 'probably' better than factory lens now :)

Well, I think Canon are being very very cooperative just now, could it be anything to do with the 1D mk3 fiasco???????.........I am going to be starting a new thread when I get my equipment back, if it goes as they say, it will be a very complimentary one.

This is quite common with this lens, the bearings come loos in the tesion ring and jam it all up.

thats it !!!! how many folk will be calling canon today ...... great result.... bet nikon wouldnt do it !!!!!!!!!

Never heard of a Nikon lens getting jammed in the zooming department through dodgy bearings :naughty:

Did I hear common fault......?

Never heard of a Nikon lens getting jammed in the zooming department through dodgy bearings :naughty:

Did I hear common fault......?
I have come across several cases but the amount of 100-400's sold I don't think its that common but it does happen.

Back