Sigam 50-500 lens problem.

Edit My Images
No
Hi. I have a Sigma 50-500 APO zoom lens with a Canon 30D. Not particularly new equipment but it was working fine until yesterday. The picture of the sunflower is taken with a 28-55 mm at 55mm. No problems with this lens. The other picture is taken with the 50-500 at 363mm (so not at the extremity 500mm) and in the distance the leaves look like it's camera shake and not normal, even blurring but the pictures were taken on a tripod so there was no shake at all. Nothing is in proper focus. Anyone have any idea what may be causing this. The lens has not been knocked or dropped in any way. I'd appreciate any advice before resigning myself to getting a new lens. Thanks.

View media item 13279View media item 13278

Hi Danny and welcome to TP

Looking closely at the second picture the very centre 'leaves' look quiet sharp. But was that intentional or incidental?

So a couple of questions:-
1) were you expecting the plant in the background to also be in focus (though I do notice that in the first picture the Depth of Field has blurred the background plant but you did not comment on that?) Becuase depending on how close you were to the foreground plant, with that lens the DoF will be very thin!
2) yes, the shutter speed will freeze movement but was the a breeze blowing the background plants about?
3) you say you mounted it on a tripod ~ is this first time you have used it on tripod? Why, well does the lens have a tripod foot (in other words was it mounted nicely in balance or using the camera tripod point with the lens weight 'pulling it down') also did you use a remote cable to fire the shutter even a self timer to ensure the act of you pressing the shutter did not create a vibration???

HTH ?

Second one looks fine to me ,just normal d.o.f for f7.1 which on that lens is virtually wide open , if it’s tripod mounted did you switch off I.s as that could cause a problem ..if there is a fault it needs more than one photo to spot it.
Also your focussing or trying to on a bit of thin grass with a old lens and a old camera ,even the top range latest cameras /lenses would struggle with that

Last edited:
The plant in the background was not meant to be in focus. There was no movement of the plants to cause the blur. And the lens has the proper foot for correct balance when on a tripod. The concern is I've been doing the same thing with the lens for about 5 years and it's been great then suddenly it's started behaving like this. I've not changed anything in what I'm doing. I've also taken several pictures with the same result but only posted one of them on this forum. It really looks like an element has somehow got out of position causing an astigmatic effect.

The plant in the background was not meant to be in focus. There was no movement of the plants to cause the blur. And the lens has the proper foot for correct balance when on a tripod. The concern is I've been doing the same thing with the lens for about 5 years and it's been great then suddenly it's started behaving like this. I've not changed anything in what I'm doing. I've also taken several pictures with the same result but only posted one of them on this forum. It really looks like an element has somehow got out of position causing an astigmatic effect.

As Jeff @the black fox asks about OS setting, have you possibly done the on or off differently. Plus as appropriate has the been any change in noise (I have no idea whether you can hear a discernable noise or not) audible?? Potentially indicating an internal issue.

Lastly, will Sigma UK look at it or service it for a fee as required?

If your convinced it’s faulty ,and only you will know that ,then you have two options ,use it as a paperweight ,or send it to sigma for repair . Your probably looking at a coupl3 of hundred quid minimum to repair but it’s worth a quote in case it’s something simple

If your convinced it’s faulty ,and only you will know that ,then you have two options ,use it as a paperweight ,or send it to sigma for repair . Your probably looking at a coupl3 of hundred quid minimum to repair but it’s worth a quote in case it’s something simple
£146
Sigma have a great pricing policy for lens repairs, upfront prices and quick turnaround.

£146
Sigma have a great pricing policy for lens repairs, upfront prices and quick turnaround.
From experience Phil that’s just the baseline ,it might be less if it’s just adjustment or a lot more if parts are needed and indeed if there still available .some of these lenses go back a long way and are classed as non repairable

From experience Phil that’s just the baseline ,it might be less if it’s just adjustment or a lot more if parts are needed and indeed if there still available .some of these lenses go back a long way and are classed as non repairable

Have you experience of that from Sigma?

As far as I understand they've always delivered on the published prices. And that's my experience of them too.

from their website this covers:

Focus / zoom / circuit / aperture

And only in the case of:
Carry out full service (some very esoteric lenses). Replacing groups of optics and other repairs due to shock impact, water damage, humidity, fungus or tampering etc. HOURLY CHARGE £59.99 PLUS PARTS.

But the above fault would almost certainly be covered by the standard charge (if the parts are still available)

Have you experience of that from Sigma?

As far as I understand they've always delivered on the published prices. And that's my experience of them too.

from their website this covers:

Focus / zoom / circuit / aperture

And only in the case of:
Carry out full service (some very esoteric lenses). Replacing groups of optics and other repairs due to shock impact, water damage, humidity, fungus or tampering etc. HOURLY CHARGE £59.99 PLUS PARTS.

But the above fault would almost certainly be covered by the standard charge (if the parts are still available)
yes and no Phil there very fair on there pricing ,but I'm just making the OP aware that the pricing could go either way depending on age/condition/parts etc , I had one lens go back that was quoted sub £100 to repair and once in the workshop the price doubled but that was down to a faulty part they couldn't see . as I said initially its worth sending back for a check over anyway

Thanks all. I will contact Sigma. A second hand replacement on eBay is £500 + so even a couple of hundred quid is the better option if I finish up with a good lens again.

Back