Sigma 1.4x TC problem

Joe T

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Sigma 1.4x TC which I sometimes use with my 120-300 2.8 and 200 f4 AIS. However, I dont think it is mounting correctly, as there is some 'play' in the coupling. This is obviously not good, as it makes it harder to hold the lens steady.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas before I either buy another one or send this one to Sigma and see what they think?

Well, my Canon ones are as tight as a tight thing, not had any experience of the Sigma but it doesn't sound right to me, Joe. Have you had it a while?
George

I had a Kenko one briefly and latterly a canon, both tight as a ducks botty when mounted
Sounds like a bit of a problem Joe :shrug:

If its a couple of years old I personally would go for the "new" option, as you say, I could see the repair bill being close to the cost of new
I bought mine HERE very quick delivery & hassle free transaction if you don't mind buying from HK that is

or the Sigma one

If its a couple of years old I personally would go for the "new" option, as you say, I could see the repair bill being close to the cost of new
I bought mine HERE very quick delivery & hassle free transaction if you don't mind buying from HK that is

Thanks. The Sigma 1.4x is £93 (inc postage) from there. There's still a risk of customs charges though. Hmm...:)

Thanks. The Sigma 1.4x is £93 (inc postage) from there. There's still a risk of customs charges though. Hmm...:)

The below worked for me depends wheter you want to take the chance or not though :shrug:

Customs declarations:
We'll gladly declare the item as 'gift of no commercial value' for easy clearance. However, any possible import duty, VAT or GST is the sole responsibility of the buyer. We'll try our best to help you minimize it. There is no duty or sales tax when item is shipped to the USA.

I have a Sigma x 1.4 and it fits very tight. I also buy nearly all my equipment for my canon from the link above and the delivery is very quick and I have never had to pay any import duty not even on my 70-200 IS 2.8 L lens. Hope this helps. (y)

Hi Joe,

I have a Sigma one that you could borrow to try if you like and see if any difference. I don't use it much and could post it to you for a shot of to get a comparison before sending yours off or buying a new one.

Mike.

That's very kind, but your canon one wont fit my Nikon-fit lens I'm afraid.

Hi,

DOH!!

ah well, sorry about that, I forgot you were a Nikon man. Reminds self to read posts fully in future if only to avoid talking to the 'other' side :D

Mike.

I had a similar problem with my 1.4x on a sigma 300 about a year ago. It turned out that the small screws in the highly polished front face of the converter had come loose. I tightend them up and it's been fine since. I don't know if it's the same sort of play you have but it may be worth checking them.

Joe

I'd go to a shop and ask to try one first.

IMO sigma aren't as keen on the tolerances as canon / nikon would be.
I have a Sigma 70-200 and their 1.4x Tc and they are both a touch on the slack side compared to the fit of the OEM lenses etc.

I had a similar problem with my 1.4x on a sigma 300 about a year ago. It turned out that the small screws in the highly polished front face of the converter had come loose. I tightend them up and it's been fine since. I don't know if it's the same sort of play you have but it may be worth checking them.

That has to be worth a try Joe before you go and buy another one :)

Give this man a medal!

That's exactly what it was!

All tightened up now, and no more 'play' in the lens mount!

Many thanks!!!! :D

Give this man a medal!

That's exactly what it was!

All tightened up now, and no more 'play' in the lens mount!

Many thanks!!!! :D

When I did mine I wasn't sure whether to just tighten them up or to try a drop of locktight. I just tightened them up and it's been fine. If they do come loose again I'll probably try a small ammount of locktight, but it's been ok for the last ten months. (y)

Back