Sigma 10-20 f3.5

Name
Graham Roberts
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm thinking of getting this lens and wondered if anybody owns one + has any comments, in particular if used with a Canon DSLR APC-S format camera - I have 700D and 550D models.

In addition, specifically:

(i) As I already have a Canon 18-55mm lens will it provide a noticeable difference - I'm off to the Grand Canyon in the New Year and figured something wide would be nice?
(ii) Is the camera fitting equivalent to an EF lens i.e. it has a shorter back-focus than the EF-S lenses? The reason is that I would also like to use it for widefield astronomy photography using an Astronomik filter which fits inside the camera and does not leave enough room for the longer back-focu of EF-S type lenses.

Thanks, Graham

I have one and find it very good. Used with my 70D and my previous 450D with no real problems apart from slight edge softening out wide and marking to the fuzz covered hood.

I have never used a Tokina so do not feel entitled to criticise them ;)

I'd preferably look at either Tokina or Canon wideangles for you camera. The only good Sigma lenses have "Art" branding on them.

thats not true, while the art lenses are pretty much the best you can get or damn close, theres plenty of good/great sigma lenses from the past, before the new rebranding.

if your open to shopping around or second hand, some people prefered the 10-20 3.5 to 5.6 or whatever version, which i have in A mount, and its good, really fun to use lens :)

Id go for as wide as you can, depending on budget and if you need filter ability, there is a sigma 8 to 16 which i would quite like, but you need big filters and special holder for it.

According to a lot of reviews the Canon 10-18 lens is the one to go for. Its a snip at £180 plus there's £20 cashback at present. It has a plastic mount, similar to the 50mm f1.8 mkii in build and that's a cracking bit of kit. but seems pretty useable and has IS as well. Worth considering anyway.

No real issues with that lens for normal use.

In my experience my example isn’t a great performer for IR photography using either an IR72 on standard camera or on a converted IR body. (Central IR hot spot and badly misses the focus point where all my other lenses are close enough stopped down a couple of clicks) Can’t really complain because that’s not what the lens was optimised for.

The Sigma 10-20 3.5 is designed for APS-C sensors although it will physically fit full frame bodies (it'll vignette at the wide end). Not sure about rear protrusion though.

Sorry Graham, I missed the part about EF-s lenses. In that case I believe the Sigma would be a good choice for your needs. It is a highly rated lens and has the 3.5 aperture throughout the entire zoom range which is a plus.

i have that lens and had almost given up on it, but by accident i started using it in manual focus and sometimes setting it on infinity and i found it was a lot sharper at the edges than previously seen.unsure how this is but im happy with it.btw i use it on 60d

by accident i started using it in manual focus

Being from another era I'm already of the belief that there's a lot to be said for manual focus - come to that I'm not keen on many of the auto functions of modern cameras best take control I'd say. Glad to hear you're getting on well with the lens now.

Probably of the same era lol. Yes love it now it's on most of the time now .heres one of last I took the blurred lines are movement from the reeds with my 10stop on this pic is off my iPhone don't know if it's compressed or full res but hope it shows how good it is

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 8
Back