sigma 10-20 goodness

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
After purchasing a sigma 10-20 from Ianuk on our classifieds (Ian I will leave you positive iTrader feedback when I'm on my pc) I got out last night to have a play with it. Went up to Newcastle quayside as I regularly seem to end up there it seemed the natural place to go and see what the angles look like through my new lens. Needless to say I was hot disappointed!

Here's a couple of pics.

A beautiful view down river tyne from the high level bridge, in the background is the famous tyne bridge, probably the north easts most noticeable and recognised landmark. in the foreground is the swing bridge, an amazing piece of engineering, turning on an axis through 90 degrees to allow passing ships and boats up and down the river. The blue light cast across the bridges is from a torrent of fire engines and ambulances all rushing to one place. captured via a 60 second exposure. I think it really adds to the scene.

60 sec // iso100 // f11 // 10mm

45 sec // iso100 // f11 // 10mm

Thanks for looking :) nick

Great pics love them both. I'm on a Tokina 12-24 at the mo but I see so many images with the Sigma that I like that I'm tempted to get one. Sometimes that extra Mill or 2 can make a difference.

Both nice images, I especially like the first one, you did we'll to get all those blue lights all over the place in one 60s exposure!

I'd maybe be tempted to cool the first one slightly to try and loose some of the sodium orange glow, but that's just my taste.

Great shots!

Very nice shots, I remember upgrading from an 18-55mm to a sigma 10-20mm and absolutely loved it. The second shot is particularly appealing to me with the reflections in the Tyne helping to draw me into the shot.
Great to see both of these as I'll be heading to Newcastle for the first time on Wednesday, and plan to try some night shots while I am there.

Absolutely awesome pics, think I need to get me one of those :) (y)

Very nice indeed! (y)
Both fantastic images, can't choose between them.
Might have to add a Sigma 10-20 to my wish list. ;)

Thanks for all the great comments :) it was my first outing with the 10-20 but I can already tell I'm going to love it, I was really lucky with the blue lights on no1 as I was just packing up and I heard the siren. It was a frantic 10 seconds propping the tripod back up and composing at the same time trying to work out where the siren was coming from, suddenly they all appeared. 4 fire engines, an ambulance and a police car. All taking different routes to get to the same place presumably. So I got the ambulance going across the tyne bridge, the fire engines coming over the swing bridge, another fire engine & a police car coming along the lower part of the quayside all at the same time in the same exposure :)

Good Stuff Nick - love the 2nd shot

Did you manage to test out you vignette concerns as per your previous thread ?

Not at the moment matey, I have had the p filter holder on the front whilst in the house and it does seem to impose on the picture quite considerably, there is however a uv filter on there though which maybe adds 3/4 mm to the distance between the lens and the filters so maybe it will be different with that off? Someone mentioned a slimline filter holder which I might have a look at if its still an issue with the uv filter off :)

Someone did mention a slimline holder. I mentioned a 'single slot' filter in your thread - same thing.

They only cost a quid or so but if you have a spare holder you can also cut them down with a stanley knife or scalpel.

Last edited:
Someone did mention a slimline holder. I mentioned a 'single slot' filter in your thread - same thing.

They only cost a quid or so but if you have a spare holder you can also cut them down with a stanley knife or scalpel.

That's the one matey, I think its looking likely i'll need to get one!

After purchasing a sigma 10-20 from Ianuk on our classifieds (Ian I will leave you positive iTrader feedback when I'm on my pc) I got out last night to have a play with it. Went up to Newcastle quayside as I regularly seem to end up there it seemed the natural place to go and see what the angles look like through my new lens. Needless to say I was hot disappointed!

Here's a couple of pics.

A beautiful view down river tyne from the high level bridge, in the background is the famous tyne bridge, probably the north easts most noticeable and recognised landmark. in the foreground is the swing bridge, an amazing piece of engineering, turning on an axis through 90 degrees to allow passing ships and boats up and down the river. The blue light cast across the bridges is from a torrent of fire engines and ambulances all rushing to one place. captured via a 60 second exposure. I think it really adds to the scene.

60 sec // iso100 // f11 // 10mm

45 sec // iso100 // f11 // 10mm

Thanks for looking :) nick

Hi there
These are both great shots they bring back very happy memories for me I left Newcastle almost forty years ago to go south to find work and I've not been back since then, I will visit soon before its too late.:D

Regards Bob

Even though I'm from Scotland I instantly recognised where that first shot was taken from, far too many nights out in Newcastle me thinks!

Great shots mind.

2 fantastic images. Great light and clarity.

The 2nd shot is fantastic, and would be even better if you'd taken it at the blue hour (hour or so after sunset) for better tones in the sky!

Go with the second shot. Both really well taken but the second has the extra special-ness. The positioning and shine of the street lights really makes it ping. Well done.

wow 2 fantastic images well done.i have a tamron 10-24 i havent tried it yet hopefully i cant get some decent images with it

bleddyn

Back