Sigma 10-20mm and Cokin

Name
Mariusz
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

i'm thinking of getting Sigma 10-20mm nikon mount, but also want to use cokin filers on it. Is it better to go for cokin P or Z? I've heard somewhere that there's a problem with P holder when at 10mm (there's a vigneting from the holder).

please advise

I've used the P with the Sigma 10-20, and you can def see the filter holder at 10mm. Not sure at which focal length it goes out of view though sorry.

via TP Forums for iPhone

Hi Mariusz

I recently went for a filter set, originally going down the Cokin route I ultimately ended up with Lee Holder and HiTech filter.

I use my Lee Foundation Kit on my 10-22 with no vignette at 10mm using the wide angle adaptor. Hitech filters are often recommended on here ahead of Cokin so I bought one to try it and I am quite happy with it - no problems with quality or service from the supplier.

Wide Angle Adaptor
http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/161-959Z/
Foundation Kit
http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/161-453E/

Filter
http://www.formatt.co.uk/stills-filters/filters/graduated-n-d/stills-filters.aspx

Andy

Hi Mariusz

I recently went for a filter set, originally going down the Cokin route I ultimately ended up with Lee Holder and HiTech filter.

I use my Lee Foundation Kit on my 10-22 with no vignette at 10mm using the wide angle adaptor. Hitech filters are often recommended on here ahead of Cokin so I bought one to try it and I am quite happy with it - no problems with quality or service from the supplier.

Wide Angle Adaptor
http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/161-959Z/
Foundation Kit
http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/161-453E/

Filter
http://www.formatt.co.uk/stills-filters/filters/graduated-n-d/stills-filters.aspx

Andy

Andy, thanks for the info and advice. I think i will give it a go, but gotta get the Sigma first :)

That reminds me, I have a couple of Cokin grad filters and they added a reddish cast to the images. Possibly another reason to go with a different solution!

via TP Forums for iPhone

Hi,

I had a Sigma 10-20 and used it with the Cokin Z-pro holder as I couldn't afford a Lee holder at the time. You get vignetting at less than about 13mm. If you use it with a polarizer, then it'll be even worse. I ended up using it with less filter slots which helped remove the bulk, and if you use Lightroom, use the lens correction module which helps remove vignetting and distortion.

Otherwise, use a Lee holder and wide angle adaptor. I just got one, and now on my 17-40 (full frame, equiv 10-11mm on crop), there's no vignetting at all. It's priceir, but well worth it.

However, I still rate my Hi-tech slide in 100mm filters - no colour cast, unless you use them stacked on longer exposures. (2 or more)

Hope this helps.

Guys, thanks again for the tips. I think the best option is to get Lee and be sure that the vignetting is not there. Besides it looks like Lee is the most future-proof solution of them all.

IIRC you aren't meant to use CPLs on UWAs anyway? :shrug:
I am also interested in what nd grad filter to use for when I get the canon 10-22!?...

Last edited:
You can use the Lee wide angle adaptor on the Cokin Z pro holder it's about 0.5mm small but is not a problem. Alternatively you can take one of the holder leafs off which removes the problem, if you want to use a circular polariser get one with a thin frame I use Heliopan. As for cast the Cokin Z Pros that I use and were bought 3 6 months ago give no cast.

I am also interested in what nd grad filter to use for when I get the canon 10-22!?...

I think you need 100mm filters, 85mm ones will vignette I think...

Yeah its due to the angle of view of UWAs. I can't comment anymore technically on it as I read it in here. I subsequently bought a 77mm Hoya CPL for use on all my lenses. The sky was not consistent with regards to the polarisation on the 10-22.

What do you mean by 'what' kind?

Do you mean size, make, strength or edge (hard or soft)?

Andy(y)

As in what size will not cause vignetting, and also what ones are decent and not cause cast! :)

p series single holder works from 12mm on

As in what size will not cause vignetting, and also what ones are decent and not cause cast! :)

Hi

I can only base this on my experience and knowledge acquired from TP, so it is completely biased :LOL:

The Lee Foundation Kit and 77mm Wide Angle Adaptor work fine at 10mm without a sign of a vignette.

I read loads of reviews about Cokin giving colour casts yet more recently the problem seems to have been resolved. Lee are almost universally recommended for quality. Hitech are recommend on price and very good quality.

I ordered one 100mm Hitech 4stop Graduated ND to test. Happy with product and service from Teamwork Photo.

I'm going generally with what the other people say on this thread.

I have a siggy 10-20mm and had been using Cokin P filters with some minor alteration. What I did to save cash before I moved onto the Lee filters was to remove the 3rd slot from the basic Cokin holder with a knife etc. What this allowed was still 2 slots and room for a circ polarizer if necessary.

Alternatively you could buy a Cokin P wide angle holder, the only drawback as someone mentioned is that it only has one filter slot.

Cokins are ok to use but you will get some colour cast especially if your staking them.

My best advice, get saving and then play the waiting game for Lee to make the filters!

I have just bought a Lee foundation holder with a WA adapter, and found it does vignette at 10mm on the sigma but only if you have 2 slots mounted, it is fine with just one slot.

I have just bought a Lee foundation holder with a WA adapter, and found it does vignette at 10mm on the sigma but only if you have 2 slots mounted, it is fine with just one slot.

Thanks for the tip. I still haven't managed to get the Sigma, somehow all the money decided to disappear from both my account and wallet with amazing speed lately :thinking:

Does anybody know of any good links where I can learn more about filters? I have a Sigma 10-20 lens and I am totally confused as to what filters I need to get.

Back