Sigma 10-20mm on dx crop

I don't remember mine having a filter ring when I had one, I thought it had a slot at the rear element end where you had to cut and us the gelatin filters cut using the template supplied. Either I'm remembering wrong, or it's a different version of the lens.

Must be a different lens as mine has a 77mm filter thread on it.
I've not used 85mm filters though - I presume you mean Cokin or the smaller Hitech ones?

Im thinking of buying the sigma 10-20mm and was wondering at whatt mm can you use it on a crop sensor with 85mm filters and no vignetting??

And answers would be great thanks

I've got this lens on a d3100 and used to have 85mm filters. I reckoned I got to about 12-13mm where I could see the filter holder in the image. What was difficult is that the d3100 doesn't have full coverage in viewfinder so it's worse in image than in viewfinder.

Changed up to 100 mm filters and seems ok

I've got this lens on a d3100 and used to have 85mm filters. I reckoned I got to about 12-13mm where I could see the filter holder in the image. What was difficult is that the d3100 doesn't have full coverage in viewfinder so it's worse in image than in viewfinder.

Changed up to 100 mm filters and seems ok

Thanks mate. The lens is o the list for next month. Iv cut back the holder to 2slots and am hoping to use it at about 12mm. But I will switch to 100mm filters when ive got my new body

Thanks mate. The lens is o the list for next month. Iv cut back the holder to 2slots and am hoping to use it at about 12mm. But I will switch to 100mm filters when ive got my new body

I did exactly the same, cuf my holder doen to two slots.
Works absolutely fine down to 12 mm.
You're good to go fella :)

Just asked the same question myself and was told around 12mm and up is okay with 85mm filters, filter holder edges will appear in the frame at 10 and 11mm.

Just asked the same question myself and was told around 12mm and up is okay with 85mm filters, filter holder edges will appear in the frame at 10 and 11mm.

Is this using the standard 3 slot filter?

Back