Sigma 10-20mm v Canon 10-22mm v Tokina 11-16mm

Name
Will
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm really torn between these three lenses for my D30.

Sigma 10-20mm - best price. Seems highly rated, & I've heard the 4-5.6 is better than the 3.5. £350 new.

Canon 10-22mm - it's Canon, so you know you're buying quality. Pricey, but good re-sale value. £500+ new.

Tokina 11-16mm - an unknown quantity for me, but seems highly rated & f2.8 seems incredible for 11-16mm. Would I miss the 17-20/22mm range though? £450 new.

Can anyone help my brain out?!

Many thanks

Owned the first two and the Canon shades it for me

I have the Tokina 11-16 and really love it. The fast glass means it is great for low light (obv because it is so wide you don't get shallow DOF).

.....Tokina 12-24 f/4......:exit:

Should definitely be in the list for consideration. Has a good range and IQ is second only to the 11-16mm (and better than the Canon or Sigma)

It's all subjective....

I've owned a sigma 10-20 and a tokina 11-16.

The 2.8 of the tokina was irrelevant for me as 99% of my UWA lens need is for landscapes. Seeing as most are taken over f11 the 2.8 becomes a bit pointless.

I don't know whether I lucked out, but my siggy 10-20 is the absolute nadgers. Sharp in all corners and focuses well. If I could only keep one lens, it'd be that.

I'm sure the canon is good too but I can't justify spending £250 extra on something that has a little less distortion and no visible diff in IQ to me.

The tokina is great too, but 16mm is too short for me. When using the 10-20 I find myself using both ends a lot, I imagine the canon is even more useful in this respect.

TBH I dont think you can go wrong with any of them. Just with the 11-16, be wary it is a UWA lens that is wide all through the zoom range. If you get a good copy, it makes fantastic images.

Looks like me and noopz got lucky, I've also got a Sigma 10-20mm and it's very sharp and the focus is amazing for a sub £400 lens.

I'd like to try the Canon 10-22 as the rest of my lenses are Canon and are very impressive but like most I couldn't justify the extra cost for little improvement in quality and limited use.

I'd be wary about the Tokina as the zoom range is quite small and sometimes with the Sigma I end up shooting at nearer the 20mm end, as it can make foreground items look quite wacky if it's a busy shot!

Looks like me and noopz got lucky, I've also got a Sigma 10-20mm and it's very sharp and the focus is amazing for a sub £400 lens.

I'd like to try the Canon 10-22 as the rest of my lenses are Canon and are very impressive but like most I couldn't justify the extra cost for little improvement in quality and limited use.

I'd be wary about the Tokina as the zoom range is quite small and sometimes with the Sigma I end up shooting at nearer the 20mm end, as it can make foreground items look quite wacky if it's a busy shot!
I have tried the Canon, and TBH the only really noticeable advantages over the Sigma are the extra 2mm and a little bit less distortion at the wide end. I bought the Sigma and love it.

I absolutely love my Tokina 12-24 for landscapes. I could afford to buy another lens but I don't see the point of spending a load more money for maybe 5% difference in quality.

Sigma here, and very happy with it. Some minor edge softness can be seen, but only on close inspection on an A2 print.........!!!! great lens.

Another vote for the Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 (y)

All these were taken with mine on a 40D and 7D body

My advice is buy new to allow for 'potential' issues that 'could' occur (with any lens to be honest).

I have the Tokina 11-16mm on my 30D and I find it better than the Canon 10-22mm.
All I found with the Canon, although I liked it was that it suffered from fringing quite badly. Something i've never had with the Tokina.
I shoot it at f5.6 most of the time and have never needed it to go more than 16mm.

The Sigmas, although the cheapest on offer, are hit and miss whether you get a good one or not. And it's that, and the niggly disappointing results of the Canon which pushed me to the Tokina.
You rarely see Tokinas, they are sought after.

I own the Pentax 12-24, which is basically the Tokina 12-24 with a different coating - excellent lens, very low distortions and great colour/contrast. I previously owned the Sigma 10-20 but sold it quite quickly, just didn't find my copy particularly good (soft corners, unusual distortion and colour rendition wasn't to my taste) - I think sample variation may account for the mixed views on the Sigma in particular.

Simon

I'm really torn between these three lenses for my D30.

Sigma 10-20mm - best price. Seems highly rated, & I've heard the 4-5.6 is better than the 3.5. £350 new.

Canon 10-22mm - it's Canon, so you know you're buying quality. Pricey, but good re-sale value. £500+ new.

Tokina 11-16mm - an unknown quantity for me, but seems highly rated & f2.8 seems incredible for 11-16mm. Would I miss the 17-20/22mm range though? £450 new.

Can anyone help my brain out?!

Many thanks

One pretty important factor that hasn't been mentioned, the canon 10-22 is an EF-S lens so won't work on on the D30. The OP will have to discount it from consideration unless they are going to upgrade their D30 as well.

Tokina for me, I really dont miss the range of the canon. And its reported to be sharper at the edges than the others. Also no sigma QC issues to worry about

One pretty important factor that hasn't been mentioned, the canon 10-22 is an EF-S lens so won't work on on the D30. The OP will have to discount it from consideration unless they are going to upgrade their D30 as well.

D30 is a crop sensor so the ef-s will work.

I also love my sigma, so yet another lucky owner;)

I own the Canon and Tokina (11-16) and my friend has the Sigma, which she doesn't really like because it's slightly fuzzy on one side. So I'll stick to the Canon vs Tokina.

The advantages of the Canon are the range and the seeming inability to get any flare, even with the sun in the frame. Tokina's advantages are the build quality and the extra 2/3 stop. I reckon the image quality of both are about equal.

The Canon is the one I'll stick in my bag to take out. The Tokina is really just there for wide-field astro shots.

Back