SIGMA 100-300 F4 EX IF DG LENS

(y) Big thumbs up from me..I use one all the time for sports and wildlife..very sharp wide open and works great with the sigma 1.4 converter for that extra reach..

thumbs up from me also

fantastic lens

check my site for pics taken with it, the moto GP ones were at 300mm

Ordered and paid for mine from Onestop /digital last thursday night and the Fedex man delivered it today at 12noon.....cant beat them on price and i have used them for a few things now and had no problems at all.

As for the lens.....its quite a lens for the money well built but quite heavy.

Cant comment on the IQ etc but it was recommend by a few so i am confident i will be pleased

Leigh

thanks guys...looks like i've found my next lens,and wildlife and motorsport(bikes in particular)are gonna be it's main use (y)

any idea as to where'll be the cheapest place to buy?

Hi,

I hope you are aware that any Sigma Lens bought from Hong Kong is not covered by a UK warranty and they will not repair it for free under warranty in the UK. Any faults would mean the lens would have to go back to Hong Kong for repair and considering Sigma's quality control ........

Don't get me wrong this is a superb lens, I owned one until I upgraded it to a Canon 100-400 L, just wanting to make you aware the drawbacks of buying/owning a lens form Hong Kong.

Mike.

The above post is incorrect. Sigma UK will honor a 1 year warranty but the 3 year warranty that comes with EX lenses will be Void. Quality control with Sigma isnt the best thought, so be wary! I like my sigma, but...... its heavy and sometimes hard to carry around therefore a 70-200 i think would have been better for me.

If you NEED the 300mm range, then go for it! Ill post some pics up later.

The above post is incorrect. Sigma UK will honor a 1 year warranty but the 3 year warranty that comes with EX lenses will be Void. Quality control with Sigma isnt the best thought, so be wary! I like my sigma, but...... its heavy and sometimes hard to carry around therefore a 70-200 i think would have been better for me.

when i got mine from OSD i was assured that i also get a warranty from them (12 months) so i am still covered, sometimes Sigma do repairs in this country but it depends on what it was

Hi,

this must only be for EX lenses then ?

As I have seen on other Forums that no warranty work undertaken on HK lenses by Sigma UK for free.

Mike.

I had a 17-70mm and returned it to Sigma UK.....they just sent it straight onto Sigma in Japan and it was sorted and returned at no cost.

Onestop have said that any problems just retuns it to them and they will sort it, I am happy with the service i get there.

Leigh

Sigma won't do ANY warranty work on HK-sourced lenses, unless you have the VAT/import duty paperwork as well... You'd need to send it back to HK for repair

It all depends if the difference in price makes it worth it for you...

Yes but when you buy from OSD you do get a reciept which shows VAT as far as i understand.

Yes but when you buy from OSD you do get a reciept which shows VAT as far as i understand.

No you don't - you don't get any receipt at all.

I've used OneStop a lot, but the way they mark things, Sigma UK will not fix it.

I've had a few Sigma UK repairs lately, and Sigma UK offers fantastic service - ie very quick repair or even replacement.

I think importing is false economy nowadays tbh unless you are making a really decent saving - a tenner here or there just isn't worth it.

I bought one of these and it was pants. It had extremely inconsistent focus performance, with 60-70% shots in a sequence out of focus, and even single-shot pictures out of focus.

I am using it on a Canon 1Dmk3, and verified with other lenses that the fault lay with the Sigma 100-300 - all other lenses focused fine in the same circumstances.

I returned it to Jessops (£664 with "SUMMER35" voucher code) and have another one coming tomorrow. Hopefully the new one will be better otherwise its money back time. I really want the new one to work as it's just the right lens for me.

It seems absolutley stupid to me that Sigma will not honor a warranty, as at the end of the day its still their product, and was probably made in the same factory on the same production line. I cant see how they can say we are not honoring warranty. It really annoys me as i am after a 150mm Sigma macro lens, the cheapest UK stock is around £400, whereas Purely is £355, nearly £50 cheaper!

Its absolutely the same lens - there is no such thing as a "UK version" per se.

Sigma UK *will* honour it, provided it has been imported legally - ie with full value declared, and VAT paid.

Off course, once you pay VAT there is no real saving...

This is Sigma's policy:

http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/quicklinks/going_grey/going_grey.htm

Sigma UK are trying to dis-courage grey imports. Too be honest, I would rather that places in the UK dropped their prices so we do not need to consider importing...but thats another issue.

It seems absolutley stupid to me that Sigma will not honor a warranty, as at the end of the day its still their product, and was probably made in the same factory on the same production line. I cant see how they can say we are not honoring warranty. It really annoys me as i am after a 150mm Sigma macro lens, the cheapest UK stock is around £400, whereas Purely is £355, nearly £50 cheaper!

Hi,

Purelygadgets I assume, seemingly their customer service is terrible. Might be £50 saved but then again if any thing goes wrong then?

remember this game isn't always about saving money, it's about getting the full package and if that means paying a little extra to get better quality of service/customer care then so be it. If Sigma don't want to warranty a lens bought overseas then that is up to them they make the rules, Nikon are exactly the same, and I think Canon might be too, certainly on camera bodies they are.

Mike.

Here are a few images with this wonderful lens.

stranger1ta6.jpg

stranger2ei0.jpg

original, resized only.
imgp05261dm6.jpg

100% crop
imgp0526az5.jpg

original, resized only.
imgp0653ww9.jpg

100% crop
imgp06531bv3.jpg

OK - I picked up my 2nd copy of this lens today and shot 3 polo matches with it this afternoon. Happy days! It is sharp and focuses consistently accurately. Excellent news. Very nice indeed.

Moral: watch Sigma's quality control - if you aren't happy, take it back.

Oh, and as the box it came in was a bit shabby Jessops gave me another £20 off making it £644. Nice.

GUTTED...was going to order this lens today,but no-one has one anywhere,and sigma don't think they'll be getting any from japan for up to a few months :( :shake: :( :shake:

are there any similar anyone can recommend..for similar money :shrug:

I had one years ago and at the time swore by it at the time. It's an ok lens but as the crops above show it's soft at %100 (they look like they may have been sharpened too?). That said it does offer good range and reasonable speed for the money and is a good introduction to slightly larger lenses...but its a slippery slope so be careful lol

Seems to have gone up over the years too as I paid £550 for mine from some shop in Rayners Lane about 5 or 6 years ago.

cheers mark,just rang them and they don't have it in stock either...

richard...is there another similar lens out there for similar money? i'm tempted to get the sony 70-200 F2.8 G lens @£1200 :eek:

No idea about the Sony, didn't even know it existed lol. But I onced compared my Nikon 70-200 VR with a 1.4 TC attached to the Sigma and the Nikon came out much better, however you only get 280mm. That being said, the Sigma 70-200 is supposed to be very good as well (also with a TC attached) so if you can do without the extra 20mm maybe look at the Sigma + 1.4 as another option?

mark..no problem mate,you were only trying to help (y)

lol@richard.i bought into sony via recommendation of a mate who had one,and to be honest,i'm very happy with it.with reference to the 200 giving 280 with the 1.4X teleconverter,i take it that would be with a full frame camera.so what will it give me with a crop factor of 1.6?

i worked it out at 448mm,is that right...so very similar to what i'm getting with my current 75-300 lens.

Would highly recommend this lens, friend has one and has taken some stonking shots with it, very sharp and f4 throughout the zoom range, a good quality lens on a reasonable budget. warehouse sells it but not at HK prices unfortunuately, but looks like most of the decent 300mm lenses at the moment, no stock and on back order.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/category/basecategory.aspx?cat03=3079&brand=224

You could see if any of these shops have stock?
http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/shopreviews.php

Peter

I had one years ago and at the time swore by it at the time. It's an ok lens but as the crops above show it's soft at %100 (they look like they may have been sharpened too?).

No sharpening done on those.
The Pentax bodies come with a noise reduction feature that does add a little sharpening when turned on. I have it turned off on mine for ISO less than 800

Would highly recommend this lens, friend has one and has taken some stonking shots with it, very sharp and f4 throughout the zoom range, a good quality lens on a reasonable budget. warehouse sells it but not at HK prices unfortunuately, but looks like most of the decent 300mm lenses at the moment, no stock and on back order.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/category/basecategory.aspx?cat03=3079&brand=224

You could see if any of these shops have stock?
http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/shopreviews.php

Peter

have already spoken to WE this afternoon,and they said it could be a good while before they could get it from sigma..

i will check out camera pricebuster though..thanks for the up..(y)

Back