Sigma 100-300mm F4

Name
Luke
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been looking at a few reviews etc for this, all seems to be very positive, and a few sample shots that I've seen are excellent, but that doesn't mean much in reality. I'm looking for anyone with real world experience with it.

Any problems? Hows the IQ? I've always been concerned about sharpness from Sigma lenses due to a couple of dodgy ones I've had, although my 30mm f1.4 is excellent.

Is it an issue getting steady shots with such a heavy lens without IS?

Thanks in advance for any feedback

I have one in Pentax mount for my K-3 and up until a few days ago also had one in Canon mount for the 7D (sold it to MBP).
I can honestly say it is a superb lens, it's fast to focus and is one of the sharpest lenses I have used. Having no IS isn't a problem with Pentax as the body has it (SR) built in but I didn't find it a problem with the 7D as long as you keep the shutter speed up. It also takes the Sigma 1.4x teleconverter very well should you need extra length.

Taken on a Pentax body

Common Tern fishing - Explored by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Not used one, had looked into them and by all accounts a very good lens.

I've been looking at a few reviews etc for this, all seems to be very positive, and a few sample shots that I've seen are excellent, but that doesn't mean much in reality. I'm looking for anyone with real world experience with it.

Any problems? Hows the IQ? I've always been concerned about sharpness from Sigma lenses due to a couple of dodgy ones I've had, although my 30mm f1.4 is excellent.

Is it an issue getting steady shots with such a heavy lens without IS?

Thanks in advance for any feedback

Luke, what body are you looking to use it on? I had one on a Sony A77 and it was excellent - been considered it for my Nikon but not sure about having no VC/VR

Used to have one on my old d200..superb lens and very sharp even wide open.As mentioned above works a treat with sigmas 1.4x as well.

Owned one before going to the 120-300 f/2.8 and it was a stunning lens, now im out of the pro game im gonna look see if i can pick one up on the cheap

Luke, what body are you looking to use it on? I had one on a Sony A77 and it was excellent - been considered it for my Nikon but not sure about having no VC/VR

This one will be mainly used on a Canon 7D. I think I'm going to take a shot at it. It's a decent price and worst case scenario I can sell it in a few months and not be down much. I've heard pretty much nothing but great things about it.

I have one in Pentax mount for my K-3 and up until a few days ago also had one in Canon mount for the 7D (sold it to MBP).
I can honestly say it is a superb lens, it's fast to focus and is one of the sharpest lenses I have used. Having no IS isn't a problem with Pentax as the body has it (SR) built in but I didn't find it a problem with the 7D as long as you keep the shutter speed up. It also takes the Sigma 1.4x teleconverter very well should you need extra length.

Taken on a Pentax body

I think it's your lens I'm getting off MBP!

I used a Canon one for a number of years.

I found it to be a very capable and versatile lens giving sharp results over the whole focal length even at wide apertures. If Canon made it, they'd have given it an L designation.

Negatives - Quite heavy, but reassuringly so. The main reason I don't have it now is that Sigma service dealers are nowhere near as efficient as Canon ones. Mine got wet (torrential rain) and it stopped working. Sigma had it for about a month. It came back, went wrong again quickly, went back to Sigma who had it for ages once again. When it came back it was fine, but by that time my faith in Sigma service dept. had vanished.

Recommended, but with the proviso that if you're working with the camera, a backup is useful.

I used a Canon one for a number of years.

I found it to be a very capable and versatile lens giving sharp results over the whole focal length even at wide apertures. If Canon made it, they'd have given it an L designation.

Negatives - Quite heavy, but reassuringly so. The main reason I don't have it now is that Sigma service dealers are nowhere near as efficient as Canon ones. Mine got wet (torrential rain) and it stopped working. Sigma had it for about a month. It came back, went wrong again quickly, went back to Sigma who had it for ages once again. When it came back it was fine, but by that time my faith in Sigma service dept. had vanished.

Recommended, but with the proviso that if you're working with the camera, a backup is useful.

Yeah I've heard a lot of bad things about Sigma's after sales etc. I've got it from MPB, and they say if I'm not happy with it I can return it for a full refund within 7 days, so I'll give it a shot and see how I get along with it.

Oh another note, can't recommend MPB enough.

If it's mine the body coating is peeling quite badly (usual for the old Sigma lenses) but the AF is fine and it's a sharp lens. I have used Sigmas after sales service a few times now and they have been great ... don't think they were too hot a few years ago but they seem to have got their act together now.

I won't ask how much you paid as I didn't look to see how much they put it on for and I would probably cry if I knew :)

Stunning photos Stuart. It arrived this morning and so far despite terrible light it's quite surprising, not missing IS at all.

If it's mine the body coating is peeling quite badly (usual for the old Sigma lenses) but the AF is fine and it's a sharp lens. I have used Sigmas after sales service a few times now and they have been great ... don't think they were too hot a few years ago but they seem to have got their act together now.

I won't ask how much you paid as I didn't look to see how much they put it on for and I would probably cry if I knew :)

Ah I went for the other, they currently have two, yours which they described as in slightly poorer condition cosmetically, and a mint condition example for 30 more. I went for the mint condition one and it truly is cosmetically perfect. Quite pleased so far but I need something other than overcast skies and hedges to take real photos of.

Thanks Luke..hopefully the weekend will be brighter for you to have a play.

Absolutely incredible lens. I'm so shocked by how sharp it is, the IQ is just absolutely unreal. Focusing is fast, no need for IS so far, just so pleased for the money. Blows my 100-400L out of the water. Will post some samples soon

Had mine for a few years and very happy with it.
Just got a Canon 100-400 as I wanted the extra reach. I miss the constant f4 but can't keep booth so the Sigma will be for sale when get my arse in gear.

Back