Sigma 100-400 on fuji xt-2

Name
thomas
Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry i haven't found much about this with the search button.
Anyone use a sigma 100-400 on the fuji xt-2 with a fringer adapter? How good it is?
If it was could it could make the combo possible for me the fuji 100-400 is just too much money for me.

I used a Canon 100mm with a Fringer adapter on an X-T2 for a while and the autofocus worked but was pretty slow

That lens has only just been added to the compatibility list for the latest FW update [2.9] - it is also maybe not a great example as macro lenses in general have slow AF the closer you focus, which is why most macro shooters use MF

I'm still on v2.80 and the 3 lenses I use with the fringer work very well [50mm 1.8 STM, 55-250 STM and 85mm 1.8 USM] - that's a mix of older EF and EF-S lenses and they all focus quick enough - I've found they behave best in S-AF using the small zone focus box or single point, but I have tried them all in C-AF and they work decently enough, even for video. I've no idea about the Sigma 100-400 but I've seen people use the adapter with the likes of the Canon 400mm 5.6 and the 70-200 2.8 and they said it works great.

Last edited:
I’m thinking of getting the MK 2 Fringer and buying a Tamron 18-400 (Canon Mount) which I used on my Nikon D500 before I sold everything. It was a great combination to take away on holiday. Anyone used this combination? I have a X-T3

I don't see why there should be any problem with that combination. That lens has been added to the full compatibility list for the mk II fringer - if you get it, make sure to update it right away to the latest FW: https://www.fringeradapter.com/

Coincidence, just after posting here I check youtube to see if there's any interesting new vids or reviews about and catch this one on the Fringer pro mkII

I think I’ve seen 2 reviews on the mkii version this is the 3rd. Looks pretty good. . I’ll report back if I buy one. Thanks

It's given me the itch for that Sigma 18-35 once again! I almost bought one the other week, but thought I better get at least one Fuji lens so bought the 35F2. I may still go for the Sigma a some point if I find one for the right price

It's given me the itch for that Sigma 18-35 once again! I almost bought one the other week, but thought I better get at least one Fuji lens so bought the 35F2. I may still go for the Sigma a some point if I find one for the right price
I love my Fuji lenses, I recently purchased the 10-24mm lovely. Personally I wouldn’t buy a Sigma or Tamron if Fuji have something similar but they have nothing like the Tamron 18-400mm which I know worked real well on my D500. Anyway im sure the Sigma 18-35 is a good lens, seems popular.

I love my Fuji lenses, I recently purchased the 10-24mm lovely. Personally I wouldn’t buy a Sigma or Tamron if Fuji have something similar but they have nothing like the Tamron 18-400mm which I know worked real well on my D500. Anyway im sure the Sigma 18-35 is a good lens, seems popular.

They have nothing like the 18-35 1.8 either, as the guy in the video points out. If they did I imagine it would be much pricier too. I'm not so ultra loyal, though this is my second outing with Fuji I have absolutely no qualms about adapting everything and anything that suits me. If it's possible, then why not? Like I have the Canon 85mm 1.8, I wouldn't use the 90 F2 to justify the price, so the 85mm is a perfect alternative and I got it for peanuts. That is the beauty for me with these adapters, they open up much more options

They have nothing like the 18-35 1.8 either, as the guy in the video points out. If they did I imagine it would be much pricier too. I'm not so ultra loyal, though this is my second outing with Fuji I have absolutely no qualms about adapting everything and anything that suits me. If it's possible, then why not? Like I have the Canon 85mm 1.8, I wouldn't use the 90 F2 to justify the price, so the 85mm is a perfect alternative and I got it for peanuts. That is the beauty for me with these adapters, they open up much more options
I must say I loved my Canon glass I previously owned,

I must say I loved my Canon glass I previously owned,

There's such a vast range, they have their lemons too but also a lot of very nice lenses indeed. The ones I'd really like though are out of reach for me right now - but that's the same with Fuji lenses, all the ones I'd really love are the at the higher end. Like the 80mm macro, man I'd love that thing!

I think it is all over my budget i should be realistic (if you don't know what i'm talking about I was the OP of this thread!). But maybe in a few years time :)

I think it is all over my budget i should be realistic (if you don't know what i'm talking about I was the OP of this thread!). But maybe in a few years time :)

What do you plan to take pictures of? do you need 400mm? I know what it's like to be on a budget don't worry about that! Maybe just grab a 50-230mm for now, it's enough for casual wildlife and birds you can get a little closer to

I just sold a sigma 150-600 on Nikon D750 and is was perfect for my need. I mainly shoot birds but sometimes seals and anything that is on offer! I live in Orkney.

I've been thinking to go panasonic gx9 which is at 400£ new. On panasonic their is the 100-400 which seems to be available for 800£ second hand or the 100-300 which is in the 450£.

I've just been thinking the Fuji could be a good option too because the XT2 has gone done a lot in price second hand at 600£ second hand. But then I think 230mm on crop is still a bit short for me. If I could put a sigma 100-400 which go for under 600£ and be sure it would work flawlessly it could be an option.

I just sold a sigma 150-600 on Nikon D750 and is was perfect for my need. I mainly shoot birds but sometimes seals and anything that is on offer! I live in Orkney.

I've been thinking to go panasonic gx9 which is at 400£ new. On panasonic their is the 100-400 which seems to be available for 800£ second hand or the 100-300 which is in the 450£.

I've just been thinking the Fuji could be a good option too because the XT2 has gone done a lot in price second hand at 600£ second hand. But then I think 230mm on crop is still a bit short for me. If I could put a sigma 100-400 which go for under 600£ and be sure it would work flawlessly it could be an option.
Look at the Tamron 18-400mm lots of YouTube reviews, if you look hard enough you can get it for £400 new...... I don’t know how it compares to the sigma 100-400 though. ?

I had the 100-300 Panasonic, the mk1 version. It's a good lens, bit slow with AF at times but from what I read the mkII is much better - the mkII is also weather sealed which is a bonus. This lens gives you the equivalent of 200-600 on full frame. It was plenty enough for me, but if you shoot birds a lot in the wild then the 100-400 is simply the best option. If that was my main type of shooting that is what I would get, but I'd pair it with a bigger body - just personal preference there, I know there's a few on here that use this lens on the Gx9 and find it a very nice set up

Thanks I didn't know there was 2 version of the 100-300.

The attraction of the gx9 is the price really. The g9 is so much more money there I wouldn't buy a four third sensor for anywhere close to this money. Also I had a lumix lx100 and I loved it but it died of dust spots. It's uncleared if they have sorted the dust issue with the lx100 ii so i'm thinking the gx9 with a small lens will be a good alternative, then when I want the occasional wildlife I can but the big lens on. Thought, I'm a bit worried of the handling with a bigger lens really with the viewfinder on the side like this. Might be time to get onto beanbag or monopod business!

Thanks I didn't know there was 2 version of the 100-300.

The attraction of the gx9 is the price really. The g9 is so much more money there I wouldn't buy a four third sensor for anywhere close to this money. Also I had a lumix lx100 and I loved it but it died of dust spots. It's uncleared if they have sorted the dust issue with the lx100 ii so i'm thinking the gx9 with a small lens will be a good alternative, then when I want the occasional wildlife I can but the big lens on. Thought, I'm a bit worried of the handling with a bigger lens really with the viewfinder on the side like this. Might be time to get onto beanbag or monopod business!

Why? The newer M43 cameras are actually very good, there's not a whole lot between them and APSC tbh. The G9 is a beast, it's got a lot going for it, best IBIS on the market, an incredible evf, great ergonomics, high res mode, a very good touch screen etc. The Gx9 is decent, the evf is a bit pants though. Buy you do save a fair chunk of change

Almost bought the G9 myself but had an itch to re-try Fuji for a long time so went with the XH1. They're very similar, the Fuji is a bit better at higher ISO but not by nearly as much as people think. ANother solid option is the Olympus Em1 mkII - can be had brand new from HDEW UK for £920, and IMO it's well worth the money

Last edited:
Well, I live to be surprised and I hope the sensor in the GX9 beeing the same as the G9 I'll get a good surprised! That would really be awesome,, I have so much remorse selling the nion d750 which was the best camera I have ever own. Then I can get with enjoying the small size of the kit too. With cash back the gx9 is at 399£ just now which is pretty amazing at least good to see how i feel about the 4/3 camera.

Well, I live to be surprised and I hope the sensor in the GX9 beeing the same as the G9 I'll get a good surprised! That would really be awesome,, I have so much remorse selling the nion d750 which was the best camera I have ever own. Then I can get with enjoying the small size of the kit too. With cash back the gx9 is at 399£ just now which is pretty amazing at least good to see how i feel about the 4/3 camera.

399 is a proper steal for that camera, I think you'll be surprised. The DR on M43 sensors is actually better than Canon's APSC, ISO performance is about same as that but does lag behind others like Nikon, Sony or Fuji. If you're not looking to shoot higher ISO the IQ qill be more than pleasing enough. As I say, I shot with the D800 for years and the drop to Fuji and then M43 never bothered me.

There's such a vast range, they have their lemons too but also a lot of very nice lenses indeed. The ones I'd really like though are out of reach for me right now - but that's the same with Fuji lenses, all the ones I'd really love are the at the higher end. Like the 80mm macro, man I'd love that thing!
And me, but may have to settle for a Nikon D series macro lens, between £105.00 -£150.00 on eBay. Manual focus I know, but I would only use it for macro.

And me, but may have to settle for a Nikon D series macro lens, between £105.00 -£150.00 on eBay. Manual focus I know, but I would only use it for macro.

When I'm shooting macro I'm manual focusing no matter the lens. I had the Nikon 60mm 2.8D years ago, cracking lens, ultra sharp too, and the D lenses are better for manual focusing by far than the G variants

Just received the Tamron 18-400... so far so good everything seems to work the same as a Fujinon lens, AF Quick, face and eye detection works, IS works. Here’s a few snapshots @400mm.

XT-3

Fringer EF-FX Pro II

Tamron 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC HLD lens for Canon mount (B028) —

No images are showing here ? But I just seen them on DPR :D just happened to be browsing their Fuji forum too, and seen updates to the fringer pro thread

This is encouraging to know Tamron lenses work well on there, I know in earlier FW for the mk1 some people had issues with their tele lenses. I quite fancy their 100-400 - less than half the price of the Fuji 100-400

Last edited:
No images are showing here ? But I just seen them on DPR :D just happened to be browsing their Fuji forum too, and seen updates to the fringer pro thread

This is encouraging to know Tamron lenses work well on there, I know in earlier FW for the mk1 some people had issues with their tele lenses. I quite fancy their 100-400 - less than half the price of the Fuji 100-400
They are there now, I didn’t want to mess about downsizing so I uploaded to Flickr.

Early days yet but I’m happy so far, I’ll probably just use this setup for Holiday/ Travel. I have the Fuji 100-400, I’m not totally sure if it’s a good lens especially with a 1.4x ?

They are there now, I didn’t want to mess about downsizing so I uploaded to Flickr.

Early days yet but I’m happy so far, I’ll probably just use this setup for Holiday/ Travel. I have the Fuji 100-400, I’m not totally sure if it’s a good lens especially with a 1.4x ?

Yeah they're showing now (y)

I've never used the Fuji, too pricey for who would only ever be using it for casual wildlife

Back