Sigma 105mm EX DG lens question?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Everybody,

Can anyone help me out with a question about this lens please.

I am in the market for a macro lens (macro is dominating my photography at the moment). I have short listed to the Sigma and the Nikkor micro 105mm VR.

One of the reasons that the Sigma appeals (apart from cost) is that it has a 58mm filter size which makes it perfect for use with my Sigma EM140 ring flash (which came with a 55 and 58mm adapter ring).

Anyway, as this lens is not internal focus is it going to damage the lens to have the ring flash attached when it focuses?

.....or should I stop being tight and go for the Nikon??

Thanks (y)

Why should it damage it? Are you worried about the weight? In which case don't worry. How would the Nikon ringflash be any different in this respect?

I've used the Nikon R1 flash on a sigma 105mm and as long as your using manual focus , (which most people do for macro) you'll be OK, you can tell the extra weights there and manual focus is not as smooth - On a D300 the focus motor struggled in the body when using AF with the R1 on and the noise made me worried enough no to use it again. The Sigma 150mm is internal focusing you can get a adapter and its still probably cheaper than the 105 VR Nikon but heavier than the 105mm.

Can't help directly I'm afraid as I'm Canon, but we have a Sigma Macro and very pleased with it (y)

Why should it damage it? Are you worried about the weight? In which case don't worry. How would the Nikon ringflash be any different in this respect?

Hi Hoppy,

Yes, I was concerned about the weight of the ring flash on a lens with external focussing, was concerned about putting excess stress on the focussing motor etc.

Sorry, not sure what you mean about the Nikon ringflsh? I was talking about my alternative lens option - the 105mm IF nikkor micro VR - its more expensive but as it is IF the ring flash concern didnt apply.

Thanks for comments.

I've used the Nikon R1 flash on a sigma 105mm and as long as your using manual focus , (which most people do for macro) you'll be OK, you can tell the extra weights there and manual focus is not as smooth - On a D300 the focus motor struggled in the body when using AF with the R1 on and the noise made me worried enough no to use it again. The Sigma 150mm is internal focusing you can get a adapter and its still probably cheaper than the 105 VR Nikon but heavier than the 105mm.

Thanks Dogfish,

This was exactly my concern. But yes will be manually focussing. I think I will get the Sigma and save myself £200+

Thanks everybody else for your comments too. (y)

Thanks Dogfish,

This was exactly my concern. But yes will be manually focussing. I think I will get the Sigma and save myself £200+

Thanks everybody else for your comments too. (y)

You could get a nice set of Kenko tubes with some of that £200;)

back from shop....after all my faffing with the decision I actually ended up with the Nikon 105mm VR!! :D Thanks all though for the info.

Got kenko tubes already - good job as the camera fund is well and truely empty for a while now!

back from shop....after all my faffing with the decision I actually ended up with the Nikon 105mm VR!! :D Thanks all though for the info.

Got kenko tubes already - good job as the camera fund is well and truely empty for a while now!

i am in similar position to you.
have a new d90 and looking for macro kit. any reason why you chose the nikon 105 instead of the 150 siggy?
i will probably end up with the cheaper siggy (105) as i need to get a flash aswell!
cheers

The nikon 105mm vr is a great lens, i've also found it work well for portrait shots if your interests happen to take you that way.

i am in similar position to you.
have a new d90 and looking for macro kit. any reason why you chose the nikon 105 instead of the 150 siggy?
i will probably end up with the cheaper siggy (105) as i need to get a flash aswell!
cheers

Hi Oldson,

As I am quite new to photography I actually based may decision quite a lot on recommendations both on here and from more experienced photographers. I was lent the 105mm NIkon VR from a friend for a few days to try out. I was very impressed as I was previously using my Nikon 18-200 VR with extension tubes.

My concern with the 105 Sigma was the external focussing as I use the Sigma EM-140 ring flash quite a lot.

Any opportunities for you to try your short listed lenses?

Cheers

Osmo

Hi Oldson,

As I am quite new to photography I actually based may decision quite a lot on recommendations both on here and from more experienced photographers. I was lent the 105mm NIkon VR from a friend for a few days to try out. I was very impressed as I was previously using my Nikon 18-200 VR with extension tubes.

My concern with the 105 Sigma was the external focussing as I use the Sigma EM-140 ring flash quite a lot.

Any opportunities for you to try your short listed lenses?

Cheers

Osmo

unfortunately not. i know nobody who is interested in photography:(
pretty sure i will go with the sigma 105 and some tubes. i think this will give me more value and flexibility. plus i also need a macro flash and normal flash.
i am thinking of the em-140 , that you have. it ought to be compatible as it is all sigma kit.
gonna be an expensive few weeks ahead.
oh and i also fancy upgrading my kit lens (where do you stop)
hoping to save by buying 2nd hand, so it could take a while.
cheers
simon

Hi Simon,

From all accounts the Sigma 105mm is a very nice lens. I almost bought that one myself.
With the Em-140 you get a 55 and 58mm adapter ring for the ring flash iirc. Which means you would be ready to go.

I am currently waiting for the adapter ring for the Nikon 105mm for the ring flash. Can't wait for that to arrive actually!

Have fun choosing!

Cheers

osmo

Hi Simon,

From all accounts the Sigma 105mm is a very nice lens. I almost bought that one myself.
With the Em-140 you get a 55 and 58mm adapter ring for the ring flash iirc. Which means you would be ready to go.

I am currently waiting for the adapter ring for the Nikon 105mm for the ring flash. Can't wait for that to arrive actually!

Have fun choosing!

Cheers

osmo

Osmo
got the 150mm sigma (came today), 2nd hand off another member.
even with my limited (well none actually) knowledge , i can tell its a great bit of kit. trouble is , now i am skint and cant afford a macro flash:(. its gonna be a slow process for me to complete my kit.

interested to see how you get on with your kit!
cheers
simon

Back