Sigma 105mm vs Tamron 90mm

D

Dappa44

I'm currently faced with a dilemma, which macro to buy.

Ive read nothing but stonking reviews for both lenses but as i'm new to photography i want to ask for your advice.

I will be buying from onestop digital as the prices cant be beaten.
Sigma 105mm @ £229 delivered
Tamron 90mm @ £199 delivered

So, which would you buy and why please?

probably the sigma, image quality and the slightly longer focal length. In reality though there's nothing between them.

I'd pay the extra £30 for the sigma just because it feels nicer to work with. That's important to me, as enjoying the process of making an image is just as much of why I do it as the result.

I doubt you could split them for image quality though.

As others have said I would go with the Siggy, the little bit of extra focal length will come in handy.

I'm currently faced with a dilemma, which macro to buy.

Ive read nothing but stonking reviews for both lenses but as i'm new to photography i want to ask for your advice.

I will be buying from onestop digital as the prices cant be beaten.
Sigma 105mm @ £229 delivered
Tamron 90mm @ £199 delivered

So, which would you buy and why please?

I chose the Sigma because of all the good reviews and i liked the feel of it, still struggling to use it at 1:1 with such a shallow DOF, @2.6mm at f11 but i will get there with practice

I don,t own eithier but i,ve always read very good reports about the tamron,and it always seems to win in budget macro lens reviews.

I chose the Tamron based on the consensus at Fred Miranda but they're obviously both very good. One thing I know about the Tamron that may be better than the sigma is that it takes a Raynox MSN-202 lens very well and this takes it to 4:1 I think (very close anyway)... The sigma may also take this adapter lens too but I don't know.

Owned both and tbh prefer the images I get from the tamron..build quality does feel better on the sigma but tbh you'll get great images from both..Tamron does seem sharper to me though:shrug:

I'm in the market for a macro, and have been reading up about them. These two lenses constantly come out well in tests so I'm sure neither will be a bad purchase, I suggest trying one out at a shop would probably help to make up your mind.

Thanks for the comments guys, appreciate it.

Will let you know which i get and example shots with my new toy in due course.

I am in the market for a macro lens aswell. I'll probably go for the Tamron though. I've read so many reviews over the internet and in magazines and almost all of them give the Tamron an edge in sharpness. I've been looking for a review I've read some while ago which compared the Tamron, the sigma and the canon 100mm and to my amazement the Tamron was sharper than the Canon, and the difference was quite pronounced actually!
Even though I am a huge fan of Sigma's EX line of lenses, I think I'll go for the Tamron. Cheaper and sharper. Wins my vote every time!

I've been looking for a review I've read some while ago which compared the Tamron, the sigma and the canon 100mm and to my amazement the Tamron was sharper than the Canon!

Often people say the Tamron is sharper than the Nikon 105mm VR too. A lot of folk on FM and DP tend to buy the 90mm then upgrade to the 105mm only to find softer results - I was lusting after this lens for quite a while and those comments pretty much stopped me in my tracks.

The Tamron is lighter too, but then its not as flashy looking as the Sigma counterpart so if you're bother about how your gear looks then that might influence your decision. Of course the 105mm VR probably looks the best by miles though :)

Back