Sigma 12-24mm on a full frame camera??? Can anyone advise.

Name
Cris
Edit My Images
No
Anyone had any experience of the Sigma 12-24mm on a full frame sensor camera. At a third of the price of the Nikon 14-24 mm it does seem tempting, plus 2mm wider! I'm not too bothered about 2.8 on a wide angle zoom so that is not too much of a problem. The Sigma is lighter too and using filters might be more of a possibility.
I've had a couple of Sigma zooms before and have not been too happy with them so any advice about this super-wide zoom would be welcome.
Thanks.

no attatchment of filter possible.

cracking width and depth to the picture. put it on matrix meter and got the shots.

sharp and clear.

really is a cracker.

i dont wnat to get rid of mine but due to other commitments am haveing to sell.

or was.

would recomend the lens.

I have just bought one 2nd hand in mint condition for £300. It only arrived the other day so have only done a few test shots. It is very well built and the test shots seem ok. I will be using it in earnest this Saturday when I go climbing in the Peak district, weather looks good.

no attatchment of filter possible.

theres a gel filter holder built into the lens mount - you can cut filters for the lens using the template that came with it and fit them into this.

Its a good lens,but prone to decentered elements so check before you buy. the other issue with it is that I found it very prone to flare and hotspots.

I would recomment it also, for the money, but it doesn't haver the magic the Nikkor does

Cheers

Hugh

Thanks everybody for the advice. They have one in Jessops for £399 which seems a good price, so I want to try it and then may buy it. I've looked around the reviews you have recommended and seems like there are some good ones out there. Just hope I find a good one.
Thanks again.

Bought one! Decided it was a good idea and was reassured it could be changed if it was soft even though it was in a sale at Jessops.
It's pretty wild at 12mm so should be a lot of fun. Just took a few pictures with it and found it to be soft on one side. This was the last one in stock, so might be fun if I have to start swopping it around for another. Still I have faith. It looks pretty sharp, but soft along the bottom edge on horizontal shots. I'd like to upload some pictures to see what you think but it looks like I can only upload from another site. The Insert Image button here only lets you enter a web site address and I can not see how to search for an image on my machine here. Am I missing something?
Thanks for you advice on this one.

Some user reviews at Fred Miranda here

Most of these seem to love the lens and the effects it can produce :love: I've just about made up my mind to get one for my holiday later in the year.. Visiting the ruins at Pompeii, and I can't wait to see what they look like @ 12mm :nuts:

I will be buying over the counter though to ensure I have a sharp copy.

A.

Now have copy no. 2 and it looks as if it's a good one. Not had time to try it properly but it looks like it is pretty sharp all over. Jessops were really good about changing it and swopped it straight away. Looks like a happy ending, just want to get out and use it now.
Thanks for the help everyone.

I am also excited about getting this lens at some point in time.

lens looking good after a few more shots, but still haven't been out to give it a really good try yet. Yes £399 is a good price, I read on here or somewhere else thatr Jessops are dropping Sigma so maybe now is a good time to buy. Should be able to get that back, or make a little profit, on E Bay if I have to sell it.

Some of mine on my 5D here, not used it much on the 5DMk2 yet, no reason why just not got around to it I suppose, i've been too busy playing with my 85L & 135L.

If you get a good copy, a very good lens!

Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM for Canon
Excellent condition Item number: ***

Green Tick Congratulations, you just bought this item.

I now pray it is a good copy.

ETA- Very freaky lens, nice sharp copy, totally pleased with it, will post some pics (1Ds mkII) when I take something worthy of posting. I would say this after 2 hours of owning one, THEY ARE FREAKY BUT COOL.

I bought one of these lenses from Jessops... actualy i have had two now, one was very soft on the left hand side the other just seems equal all over but still a bit soft and lines dont appear strait.

Why me? :( dont know wether to send this off to sigma myself.

The 5D mk II is merciless at showing up any shortcomings in lenses. This is why peopel keep going on about getting L lenses for it :nuts:

But you're right, if you want extreme wide-angle, it's the Sigma or nothing (or perhaps ditch your Canon kit and get a Nikon, if you want to spend some serious cash). You have to make some allowances..

BTW, just love your pic :love: Don't really notice the corners... as a previous poster has said, you want all the corners to be the same, and as long as the centre is sharp, there's nothing to worry about..

A.

Does anyone know if Jessops are still doing these lenses for £399? On their website it's showing as £739, which isn't quite as good a deal :|

A.

When i took my Sigma back they got another one in from another store. Unfortunatley they said that they cannot get another one in, so they offered to send it away to sigma for me.

Jessops have just returned my money for the third Sigma 12-24mm I've had from them. All three were soft, all in different areas. Thought it was pretty good flair wise, especially considering the angle of view. The trouble with trying to French flag it is that it so wide you finish up with your hand or card in the picture. Shame as the 12mm end was a bit spectacular. In the past I've had a couple of other Sigma lenses to try, always finished up buying Nikon. Should have learnt by now.
Ho hum, have to wait for a Nikon 14-24mm.

Over in Canon-ville, I came pretty close to buying one of these, but chickened out and ordered a Canon 17-40mm f/4 L instead.

I went through the pro's and con's, and it was pretty much a no-brainer. For about the same money you get a lens that's nearly as wide with a more useable zoom range, that you can fit a normal filter to, and with L quality, i.e. guaranteed to be sharp, water-resistant etc.

Sigma really need to get their act together.. it can't be that difficult to test their lenses before they leave the factory! :bang:

A.

Well i took my Sigma back to Jessops about 2 weeks ago and they said that there was not another one to be had. I decided to let them send it away for re calibration, however about 2 days ago i received a letter from jessops saying the lens had suffered impact damage and i had to pay £95 to get my lens back in a workable condition.

Que me phoning Jessops asking WTF was going on. The guys in my local couldnt explain it so they said they will get the lens send back to them and i get a refund. Great realy but there we go.

I have this lens but use it on a DX camera, it is superb though. shame so many people have had issues with it. I did buy a Sigma 10-20 though simply as it was smaller and lighter and it makes a big difference when you have to weigh it in when flying with so many other things.

I have this lens but use it on a DX camera, it is superb though. shame so many people have had issues with it. I did buy a Sigma 10-20 though simply as it was smaller and lighter and it makes a big difference when you have to weigh it in when flying with so many other things.

yes thats one thing i noticed with the Sigma in comparison with the Canon, the Canon weighed nothing, whereas the Sigma was like a brick. Nice lens though shame i had so many problems with it.

Back