Sigma 120-300 f2.8 or Sigma 300 f2.8

mho

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
I am thinking about swapping my Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS for either of these

Sigma 120-300 f2.8 or Sigma 300 f2.8

my main concerns / intrest is in the build quality and the picture quality from the 2, which is better (prime should be). And what do users of each lens think. Your opinions are valued.

Just checking the water so to speak, before I get hold of both or a weekend if I can.

They will be used on a Canon 1Dmk2n. For action shots so their wide open performance will be needed

cheers

Mark

Hi there

I have the zoom version. Reports I have read on the web say that the zoom is sharper than the prime, due to the fact that the zoom is a much newer lens.

I use it wide open a lot, and I also use it with the Sigma 1.4x DG TC. I use it on a D70. On a 1D it will be substantially better, especially with AF I think.

PQ is great as far as I can tell. AF is quick. Build quality is not a problem. Its heavy enough that you cant handhold it for more than a very short time. I tend to use it with a Manfrotto P-Pod. I shoot primarily motorsport with it. What is your intended use?

AFAIK, there is one other user of this lens on this forum, and also one user of the 300 2.8 prime. Other than that you wont get many more opinions I'm afraid.

Any further questions, please ask.

I have the 300mm 2.8 and I rate. Seriously. Fab build quality and styling.

It is sharp across the range and from corner to corner, wonderful colours, detail and most of all speed.

How it compares to a Canon L for speed?. Not sure, but it is fast enough for me Mark and you know what I shoot.

I have demoed the lens to several Canon and Nikon owners at various events and all are suitably impressed.

Joe's comment about the zoom being sharper surprised me, but do research.

I'm a 120-300 user.
Build quality is spot on, it is a heavy lens though so be prepared to work on a pod more.
I traded a canon 100-400L for my 120-300 and the sigma blows the 100-400L out of the water for wide open sharpness.
Quite regularly I am pleased and suprised by the results I get from the Sigma with regard to sharpness and AF ability. Something it did take me a while to get used to wasthe fact it is better used as a prime you can change than a zoom - by this I mean that you need to know what focal lengh you will be using before the shot as zooming while AI servo does not produce good results. I can explain better when I have more time if you wish :)
One thing you will loose out on is weather sealing...

fredmiranda.com has 54 reviews of this lens (the zoom version), with around 90% (I think) saying what a wonderful lens it is.

The reason to buy the zoom is simply that, it has a zoom! I find this absolutely invaluable for motorsport! So many of the shots I get would not be possible with the prime. When you add a tc, the zoom becomes even more useful as 420mm is pretty long!

Are you buying new or 2nd hand? I read somewhere that the prime has been discontinued?

The review that reckons the zoom is sharper is here. The following is a quote from it:

I called Tom Sobey at Sigma to report my findings. He confirmed what I had experienced. Sigma’s optical engineers have produced a 120-300mm zoom lens that does in fact outperform their fixed 300mm lens. Wide-open I would say that it is noticeably sharper than the old 300mm f/2.8 fixed Sigma lens.

fredmiranda.com has 54 reviews of this lens (the zoom version), with around 90% (I think) saying what a wonderful lens it is.

The reason to buy the zoom is simply that, it has a zoom! I find this absolutely invaluable for motorsport! So many of the shots I get would not be possible with the prime. When you add a tc, the zoom becomes even more useful as 420mm is pretty long!

Are you buying new or 2nd hand? I read somewhere that the prime has been discontinued?

The review that reckons the zoom is sharper is here. The following is a quote from it:

Thanks for the link. IIRC there are two 300mm 2.8, one APO one not. Could the reviews relate to this?

Mark,

here are some recent examples of what the prime can do -

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12309

Both points about the zoom being more felxible are fair comment of course.

Thanks for the link. IIRC there are two 300mm 2.8, one APO one not. Could the reviews relate to this?

Quite possibly. Its still mighty sharp! Whether it is really sharper than the prime, remains to be seen.

Examples with the zoom can be found on www.diesel-power.org.uk. Everything with a focal length of over 70mm from the 2006 gallery will be the 120-300 2.8.

Good luck with your decision, Mark. :)

I've used the 300mm f2.8 and its superb. Very good lens. It is heavy though. You will need a decent monopod/tripod to mount it on. However the 'zoom' will be more practical and it is newer compared to the 300 f2.8. Its a dificult toss up but my 100 300 f4 is a zoom and by god that thing is sharp.

King.

Thanks everyone for their input, I have read a few reviews but I like to get the opinion of people that own it and use it regulerly. Pete i forgot you use the Sigma 300 f2.8 .

The weight is not a problem, the main consern is image quality and build quality. I dont want the thing falling apart after a few good work outs.
The Zoom does apeal to me but I have been thinking of the prime 300, but as I will be loosing my 70-200 for it I thought i should look at the 120-300 2.8 also.

So some reading and then find them to use together for a bit. May give Sigma a call see if they have a set I can borrow for the day.

I may be back for more questions.

I can get around the weather sealing as it wont be my most used on the beach that will be the 600f4, I need it for when the action is closer in etc.

Back