Sigma 120-300 Owners.

Just sold mine!
It is/was a very good lens IMHO but I found that the zoom ring was very stiff making it difficult to move across the zoom range at any great speed - it hurt my fingers after a bit! I ended up having it out at the full 300mm anyway for most of the time at footie matches and always at cricket.
AF speed - difficult to comment on as the camera has some bearing on that but in poor light it wasn't the best. However, in its defence, given good light, the IQ was amazingly good - you just knew that you were going to get some great pics simply by looking through the viewfinder - the images were clear as a bell.

Alan

I think i`ll just hire one from Stewart at the end of the month,see how I get on with it,thanks for all taking the time to help out................(y)

I have the 120-300 and use it with both my Sigma TCs, I am very happy with all the results from all three options. Having said that do not shoot fast moving subjects so speed of AF is not a real issue for me, although it is clearly slower than my primes. There is no way I can afford the Nikon options that would give me the same range.

I originally looked at buying the 120-300mm, but after a shot of one, and then trying the 100-300mm f/4, I went for the 100-300mm f/4 - cheaper, lighter, focuses faster, and is just a peach of a lens:) Brand new 18 months ago at £500 delivered from HK - it's hovering at twice that value here in the UK at the moment!!

Try the 100-300mm f/4, you won't be disappointed...

I've had mine for 6 months now, only have good things to say about it. I shoot motorsport and tend to shoot in fairly bonkers ways, so I give the AF an incredibly good workout. I can usually be found at the fastest part of the circuit trying to get sharp shots at 1/40 or something stupid, I've not found it at all restrictive, which I thought may be a problem coming from the 80-200.

The AF not quite as quick as my Nikon 80-200 2.8 AF-S (nothing is) but not significantly slow enough to cause me any problems whatsoever. Also worth mentioning I shoot exclusively hand-held, and it's perfectly manageable for a 6-7hr day out. Not light by any means, but not horridly uncomfortable.

I rarely get anywhere near wide open (most shots end up around f16 or more) so can't really comment in that respect, but the few shots I take at 2.8 have never seemed to be a problem. I also find it works really well with the Sigma 1.4x TC, in fact I rarely remove it.

Loads of samples here: http://chrisharrison.smugmug.com/Motorsport

For £900 second-hand, I'm not complaining, and to be honest I would still be happy if I paid full price.

I've had 2 of these, both were excellent and very sharp at f/2.8 , the last one I had I sold to SBComp who is using it for motorsport and is very happy with it.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, not at £1800+ though:LOL: the price is a bit :wacky: these days

I can vouch for the lens I bought off Wack61 and it is the earlier pre DG version. (y)

No issues with AF speed or sharpness with or without a 1.4x TC.

Some samples on Flickr taken at the Oulton BTCC with this lens:- BTCC and BTCC Support races

Steve

I have just got one of these myself and am certainly haooy with it, but I need to find a backpack to fit it in, what bags do you lot use?

Can you get anything else in there as well. My 120-300 sits on my D2Hs, and then I normally carry my D2x with the 50-150 attached, spare batteries and memory and it would be nice to find a space for the 17-50 as well.

didnt that list cause quite a stir last time it was posted or am i thinking potn?

to be honest im not sure those stats would apply to your average user, i mean how much wear and tear do you think rental equipment gets? you know what its like people never look after their own stuff.

Well it depend on how many were sent back because they didn't focus properly;)

how much wear and tear do you think rental equipment gets? you know what its like people never look after their own stuff.
I think I can answer that. Based on over 2000 hires, I would say that the vast majority of people look after hire equipment very very well indeed. I would. I'm sure you would. Why assume that "people" wouldn't?

The Sigma 120-300 is a stunning lens.

A sample shot

IMG_2462.jpg

I really like my 120-300 and found it to be nice and sharp.Never had an issue with the focus speed until Thurs when i was shooting Puffins flying towards me, it just couldnt keep up with te speed of them on my D300.Puffins flying past/across me and the lens was fine and produced some decent shots.Saying that i would swap it for a 300 VR.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3664/3619322181_94ce2356a0.jpg
Camera: Nikon D700
Exposure: 0.002 sec (1/500)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 420 mm
Focal Length: 427.1 mm
ISO Speed: 500
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: No Flash

Nikon 300mm with kenko 1.4x wide open and enlarged. Click for bigger

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3619/3412973814_ba8d5f1929.jpg
Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/2000)
Aperture: f/8.0
Focal Length: 200 mm
Focal Length: 201.6 mm
ISO Speed: 1000
70-200vr in my opinion and experience the siggy could not track this fast enough
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3413/3295778190_a75e7945f3.jpg
Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/1600)
Aperture: f/9.0
Focal Length: 280 mm
Focal Length: 285.1 mm
ISO Speed: 1250
with 1.4 converter

Back