Sigma 120-400mm f4.5-5.6 APO DG OS HSM - Any users?

Edit My Images
Yes
About to purchase the Sigma 120-400mm f4.5-5.6 APO DG OS HSM zoom lens to partner with Canon EOS 7D & Canon BG-E7 Grip.

Anybody got one of these lenses?

Will be shooting mainly wildlife/birds and maybe some sport (rugby)

Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
I have used one for a couple of years now.
You won't lightning focus speed like with a 2.8 lens,but when the light is
decent it will give you some nice shots.
I have never regretted buying one.

The wife has one of these lenses and she uses it on her 650D. I've used it occassionally on a 60D, 7D and a 5D3 and it's a great lens. IQ is very good and the OS system is fantastic. I usually use the 150-500 OS and the two lenses are almost identical in the comparitive range.

I had a Canon 100-400 L IS at one time and got the Sigma 150-500 OS when I had 2 bodies. After going down to 1 body I had to choose which one to keep and after lots of testing the two lenses I stuck with the Sigma for IQ and OS. The 120-400 OS is as good optically as the 150-500 OS so I can't fault either of them.

I got this with my 5D3 at 1/800 and f6.3. It's SOOC with no PP apart from a crop, it's one of the few times she's let me borrow it.
7141412493_98cbd0a02c_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:
I had one too. Was fantastic, Id buy another in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

I have one and use it for Airshows and taking shots of my son playing footy. I have been very please with it, the IQ is best around f8 and it is quite a lump to carry around all day. (not as bad as the 150-500mm though) I have a Black Rapid strap and use the tripod bush for connection and that is reasonably comfy. The OS is a little noisy but with the type of work I do it's not a problem.

Pound for pound I am very pleased with mine, I couldnt afford afford a Canon 100-400mm L

I currently have a 450d but I am looking to upgrade this year to something like a 60D / 7D and would be interested to see how you get on with it.

Doug

Take a look at some of my previous posts or my flickr site for examples.

I got one and love it

I use mine for wildlife, motorsports and air shows and it does absolutely everything I want it to do.

As said above if the lighting good its a cracking lens.

Photozone don't like it much, only 2 - 2.5 stars :/ Of course that's just one review. Seems owners of this lens like it. I've looked at it before but was turned off by reviews like the Pz one.

Cagey75 said:
Photozone don't like it much, only 2 - 2.5 stars :/ Of course that's just one review. Seems owners of this lens like it. I've looked at it before but was turned off by reviews like the Pz one.

There probably putting it next to lens £1000 more like a L or G lens ???

Last edited:
They're usually pretty fair on that site. Maybe they got a bad sample?

I hate posting via phone, I look at my posts later and they're a mess :D hence why a lot of times my posts are edited later.

Phil Young said:
To be honest, it probably outperforms most £1k 400mm alternatives...

They may have been comparing to something 2-3x it's RRP though :)

I agree :)

Back