Sigma 120-400mm OS aperture repair

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello
I have a Sigma 120-400mm lens in the Nikon mount, bought second hand from an individual and not a dealer.
It has now developed a fault and it appears that the aperture is stuck wide open, moving the lever at the rear of the lens, the blades can be opened and closed but stay wherever the lever is left, so maybe the return spring has become dislodged.
It is only 4 months old and came with the receipt. The Sigma warranty, I believe, is not transferrable so I will have to pay for the repair. Does anyone know how much this will cost i.e. will it be cost effective and who/where can I send it or contact?
Thanks

I would be giving Sigma UK a call, they have always been more than helpful when i have used them.

That looks like an expensive repair seeing as the lens is only around 4 months old.
Hopefully it wont come to that, I have emailed Sigma and hopefully will get a response at sometime tomorrow.
Thanks for the advice.

Have you contacted the original owner to ask if they would claim under the warranty for you?

Last edited:
Sigma could teach Canon a thing or two about customer service these days, great result for you Chris (y)

one of the reasons i bought a 150-600 they run circles round the off handed attitude of canon repair centres

So, a quick update. Sigma have said that the lens has been put down on the mount so pushing the iris lever into the body which has caused the problem and is not a manufacturing fault.
This is absolutely not true BUT the key thing here is that even though that is what they believe, the lens was repaired free of charge as a good will gesture.
This being the case I don't really care what they believe to have been the cause, I am only interested that it has been repaired free of charge.
Good on Sigma and excellent customer service in my opinion. From sending off to having it returned took just less than 2 weeks, I cant imagine Canon or Nikon to have done the same if they believed it not to be a manufacturing fault.
Another thing I have noticed is that the lens now appears to be much sharper on its return (from the little and limited testing I have done) so maybe they also did some minor adjustments while they had it.

Nice to hear good service from one of the big companies and FOC.

Back