Sigma 120-400mm

Lynton

awkward customer
Name
Lynton (yes really!)
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

Considering selling a batch of stuff and purchasing one of these beasts (does it qualify as a "bigma?" - with pentax fit.

Anyone on here have any experience of this lens, and if so, care to share your opinions before I take a sizeable chunk out of my pocket!

Thanks

Lynton

I had the 135-400mm (Pentax mount) which is its predecessor and have to say I really didn't think much of it, fine for large items such as cars, bikes etc but no good for things that have fine detail like birds. Pretty soft at 400mm. Bought a 50-500mm and that is in a different league entirely although I suppose it should be as it costs twice as much (but worth it).
The 120-400mm is supposedly better than the 135-400mm but not a lot.

I also have the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 and with a 2x Sigma DG EX Teleconverter its still better than the 135-400mm.

cheers Mike,

Have a Sigma 70-300 at the moment, and pretty diappointed with it - anything not in the middle of the frame at 200+ has no focus at all. Borrowed a mates 1.7 TC for an airshow yesterday and well, took it off after a few mins...... nothing sharp whatsoever.......

Maybe need to think of a 50-500 then........ can i sneak one ion the bag without the other half noticing???????/

Have one and was going to sell as initially not happy with it but now wouldn't get rid of it, here is a link to some shots and 100% crops at 400mm http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=117535

Also here is a more recent one taken with it:
3560055603_994f4b3a5a.jpg

and a link to a different full size shot at 320mm http://www.flickr.com/photos/nictry/3559858213/sizes/o/

cool, i remember stumbling across a website the other week and foolishly didn't save it, whereby you could look at images by camera body or by lens - to x reference different lenses etc...... anyone know what its called?

I own one (Canon fit) and am more than happy with it. IQ is great if you stop the lens down a little, and having a 400mm reach does come in handy sometimes. If you have a look on my Flickr pages, almost everything on there from the past six months has been taken with this lens, so you can judge for yourself. For the price it's an excellent buy IMHO

orders in...... picking up in the morning!!!!!

orders in...... picking up in the morning!!!!!

Try to get a bit of weight training done. You'll need to tone up your arm muscles to handle it. (y)

Back