Sigma 150-500 opinions?

I've got one and it's a cracking lens, surprisingly robust to, mine was loose in the car when I had a serious RTC last year and while it got a bit gouged on the body, the screen over the focus range smashed and a little blood on it the lens still works perfectly

Mmmm.... now that is tempting.
On the amazon site it states:- sold and fulfilled by amazon, but no mention of the cashback. Does any one know if these are Sigma UK stock?
I specifically gave them a shout via chat about this, and the bottom line is if Amazon are selling it, it's UK stock. I've not applied for the cashback yet, but every bit of Nikon gear I've bought from them has had the cashback and/or extended warranty honoured.

And the price on Amazon seems to have gone up again, to the usual £699 :rolleyes:

Have to agree about amazon. It's gone down hill with all the scam sellers on there. You would in my opinion be better off either purchasing it at a local camera shop or looking at the online shops of proper companies. Or if you do choose amazon check the sellers feedback and ensure that they have lots of positive feedback and that they have been on there selling a long time.

Completely agree regarding Amazon Marketplace or even Fulfilled By Amazon: don't use them for expensive purchases, full stop! I learned this the hard way some time ago when I received a German Fuji X10... The only advantage with FBA is that Amazon handle returns and refunds themselves, so I got my money back quickly.

I only ever buy from Amazon themselves these days, and have had no issues so far.

with marketplace you are probably unable to claim cashback when there the offers, but for expensive purchases you should look into companies ratings on there, and location, but many companies sell on there which are good

I use mine for motorsport. Yes it does work better in good light. Try to get mine working at f8 where possible. Ive had in on my d90 and now d7100 and wont part with it.

Anyone know anything about these guys http://www.mydigitaland.com/lens/sigma/sigma-150-500-f5-6-3-nikon.html or even better, bought from them?

Seems almost too good to be true (and I know that usually should ring alarm bells), I've found it slightly cheaper coming from Hong Kong, but this says it's from the Uk, presumably Hong Kong stock stored over here?

Seriously tempted, but want to be a bit more sure before I pull the trigger.

Edit: fair bit of bad feedback online, but most of it from 2010, definitely wary, anyone got any real world experience. I think it's probably this, Panamoz or back to eglobal again (yeah I know I said I wouldn't but money's tight).

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Anyone know anything about these guys http://www.mydigitaland.com/lens/sigma/sigma-150-500-f5-6-3-nikon.html or even better, bought from them?

Seems almost too good to be true (and I know that usually should ring alarm bells), I've found it slightly cheaper coming from Hong Kong, but this says it's from the Uk, presumably Hong Kong stock stored over here?

Seriously tempted, but want to be a bit more sure before I pull the trigger.

Edit: fair bit of bad feedback online, but most of it from 2010, definitely wary, anyone got any real world experience. I think it's probably this, Panamoz or back to eglobal again (yeah I know I said I wouldn't but money's tight).

Any thoughts?

Reading one of the threads on dpreview the company closed in 2010 as stated by a supposed ex-employee, so this is either a new company or exactly the same company as before.

Personally I wouldn't buy from anyone that doesn't have a shop I could view the items I want to buy. (other than direct from amazon - not a marketplace seller) I know a lot of people have bought from some of the grey import places and have had no issues but I would only do it if people could confirm that they were legitimate.

There was a recent thread for another supplier that had opened shop in the uk but was providing grey imports and I believe was also regested in hong kong similar to this one. But i'm not sure what the outcome of that was as the thread was locked but looking back at some of the people who posted positive reviews for the company they haven't been active on TP since then.

Thanks for everyone's help and thoughts. Trigger now well and truly pulled, lens is ordered and hopefully on its way to me shortly. I eventually opted for eglobal who I bought my D7100 from recently as well with no issues at all. Thought it better to stick to one I've had dealings with (and the 5% off voucher they gave me for buying the camera with them helped too) ;)

will you get hammered for import duty and vat
I had to pay import duties etc on my camera when it arrived but it still worked out considerably cheaper doing it this way in the end.

Even with VAT and import duty I'll be paying quite a bit less than anywhere else I could order it right now. The only issue is whether Sigma would honour a warranty for it, I suspect not, but who knows. Right now it's about saving as much money as I can. I may live to regret that in the future, we'll see.

I've always said in the past, I wouldn't buy this way, but I guess needs must and my camera purchase went ok with these guys, so fingers well and truly crossed.

Completely agree regarding Amazon Marketplace or even Fulfilled By Amazon: don't use them for expensive purchases, full stop! I learned this the hard way some time ago when I received a German Fuji X10... The only advantage with FBA is that Amazon handle returns and refunds themselves, so I got my money back quickly.

I only ever buy from Amazon themselves these days, and have had no issues so far.

Amazon have been known to bring in stock from one of their European sites. I bought a Tamron 70-300mm VC from them when they were first released and when I tried to register it the lens turned out to be from France IIRC (and that was from Amazon themselves, not FBA or marketplace).

Sigma will not honour warranty on any lens purchased outside of the UK and after having to send back both of my 50-500mm OS lenses due to af errors I certainly wouldn't be buying grey.

Last edited:
Assuming your lens came from within the EU they're wrong...

EU Directive 1999/44/EC states that all European Union member states must allow consumers to make a claim for faulty or misdescribed goods under their consumer rights for a minimum of two years.

Doesn't cover my purchase as mine's coming from Hong Kong but if yours came from within the EU (including the Uk) then this directive covers it, a lot of companies will try and wriggle out of it, but will give in once presented with the facts. ;)

Assuming your lens came from within the EU they're wrong...

Doesn't cover my purchase as mine's coming from Hong Kong but if yours came from within the EU (including the Uk) then this directive covers it, a lot of companies will try and wriggle out of it, but will give in once presented with the facts. ;)
Interesting, mind you I bought it nearly 2 years ago so I'll be out of warranty anyway. never mind it's a nice lens for the money, I'd have to spend a lot more for any improvement.

Last edited:
I had to pay import duties etc on my camera when it arrived but it still worked out considerably cheaper doing it this way in the end.

Even with VAT and import duty I'll be paying quite a bit less than anywhere else I could order it right now. The only issue is whether Sigma would honour a warranty for it, I suspect not, but who knows. Right now it's about saving as much money as I can. I may live to regret that in the future, we'll see.

I've always said in the past, I wouldn't buy this way, but I guess needs must and my camera purchase went ok with these guys, so fingers well and truly crossed.

Surely with the £100 cashback you would have been better to purchase from Amazon and get a three year warranty for £20-30?

There wouldn't have been a massive amount in it I agree, although I've still got the lens quite a lot cheaper than even with the cashback and I haven't had to wait up to 8 weeks for my £100 back paying interest on my credit card on it.

Either way, it's done now, lens has arrived today and I can't wait to get my hands on it when I get home tonight. (y)

Please let us know what you're thoughts are on it when you have tried it, I am very close to clicking the buy button.
Really awful light outside by the time I got home as it's dull and overcast, but had a brief play with it anyway. Nothing worth posting as the light was so bad, but first impressions are good. It feels solid and well built, enormous compared to any of my other lenses, a nice weight to it but not overly heavy I could hand hold it comfortably. Focus seems quick and reliable and just from the brief play I had hand holding everything, the vibration reduction seems good.

Hopefully I'll get better light over the next day or two to have a better play with it. Might even take it into work tomorrow and play in my lunch hour.

Last edited:
Back