Sigma 150-500 or 150-600

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
Needs a bit of advice.

I'm looking at the Sigma 150-500 or 150-600, is it worth the extra £300/400 for the 150-600?

I'm using a Nikon D5300.

Thanks in advance.

What are you shooting?
For wildlife every extra mm is important :)

I would go with the 150-600 because i dont think you have focus fine tuning on your camera and if the lens needs it you can use a dock with the 150-600,with the 150-500 it can only be done in camera.

For sport I can't comment but for wildlife as said every mm counts! If you're using it on a crop body then depending on which brand, that's an extra 150mm!

Having used both, the 150-600 is much better choice imo. It is the newer build, from my experience has faster and more accurate focus & IQ and is customiseable with the dock and you get firmware updates that was as well. I've now got the sport version but the contemporary is a great lens in it's own right. The cost isn't that mich different either so for me it's an easy choice.

Having used both, the 150-600 is much better choice imo. It is the newer build, from my experience has faster and more accurate focus & IQ and is customiseable with the dock and you get firmware updates that was as well. I've now got the sport version but the contemporary is a great lens in it's own right. The cost isn't that mich different either so for me it's an easy choice.

Is the Sport worth the extra cost. I've got to get this past the FPO (Fun Prevention Officer - AKA Wife :bat:)

Reactions: RKC
Is the Sport worth the extra cost. I've got to get this past the FPO (Fun Prevention Officer - AKA Wife :bat:)

From the images I've seen (and I've been researching this a lot!!!), the sport is slightly better iq at 600mm. But it depends on if you want to deal with the extra weight too! I'm going to go for the sport just because iq is the most important thing for me.

I have found the IQ to be quite a lot better and the build quality is superb. It is heavier but still able to be hand held for short periods. I tend to carry a monopod which helps or if hand holding, a black rapid strap which makes it very comfortable and easy to raise. For the money I think it's a bit of a bargain. I had the Canon 100-400 mkii at one stage but prefer the sport plus it's got an extra 200mm of reach without an extender. Admittedly it's f6.3 against f5.6 but to get near the same reach with the Canon, I had to add an extender and got f8 at 560mm.
The Sigma Sport thread on here is very informative.
Hope this helps.

According to the reviews I have seen, 99% for the build and 1% for IQ ... some reviews even put the C ahead of the S in IQ.

All I can say in response from using both the C and the S is that it's more than 1% better in IQ from my experience but it may differ depending on body being used and model to model as with a lot of lenses. As I said earlier they are both very good but I personally prefer the build quality and not forgetting the sport is also weather sealed and the contemporary isn't. For outdoor and wildlife in the UK, this to me is also important. This is only my opinion and plenty of better qualified people have theirs which I respect.
I don't think either would disappoint.

Back