Bargain Sigma 150-500 OS inc 86mm DG EX UV filter

Crafty bu**ers get you hooked then pop another £50 on the price :mad: But the £100 cashback from Sigma is excellent. Having said that I've got this lens and I've not been excactly impressed with it, far too soft at anything over 400mm, and I bought it for the 500mm reach!!!

Only £649 if you own a Pentax :p plus the £100 cashback.

Actually that's bloody annoying, I bought mine 3 weeks ago :(

Crafty bu**ers get you hooked then pop another £50 on the price :mad: But the £100 cashback from Sigma is excellent. Having said that I've got this lens and I've not been excactly impressed with it, far too soft at anything over 400mm, and I bought it for the 500mm reach!!!

I use the self same lens and its tack sharp @500mm for me, maybe it's you???

here-

DSC00484 Heron Breakfast
by lesmoxonphotography, on Flickr

Les

I
Impressive Les...what body are you using?...been on the look out for a longer lens and liking the quality you've got there.

Thank you Martyn, I shot that using a Sony a77 hand held @ 500mm

EXIF - f8 - 1/350th sec ISO 400

Les ;)

QUOTE; lez325..."maybe it's you???"

Your probably right there Les, friends and family are always telling me I'm a real softy :rolleyes:

Bill ;)

Many owners of the Sigma 150-500 have complained about the 'softness' of the lens above 400mm, personally I've managed some reasonably good shots at around 450 - but, I've had to use a tripod to achieve that. I'm not saying that in good steady hands the 150-500 is not capable of decent images, but individual lenses can and do have poorer image quality than others which can be more than acceptably 'sharp'. The online forums are full of stories about customers sending 'soft' lenses back, so perhaps that famous Sigma quality control needs sorting Pingu o_O

The new kid on the block the Tamron 150-600 VC might just give Sigma the wake up call it needs, I guess only time will tell.

Bill :)

Sigma QC has been poor for years, they're unlikely to change now. A good reason to buy from a known source, if you do get a poor one you at least can get it changed easily.

My own 150-500 seems good up to 400, after that it does drop off. Mind you that's pretty much the same for all long zooms in the 'lower' price bracket.

Back