Sigma 150-500 problem

Name
Daron
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a new 150-500 & I'm finding that it suffers from front focus.

It's worst at 150, about 40mm, getting better until being very marginal at 500. The problem is my 40d is unable to compensate, so this is a job for Sigma.

My question is, are the later bodies able to compensate for that much front focus & would that adjustment throw the focus out at the long end?

I'm wondering if it's time for a body upgrade, I could certainly use better high iso performance with this lens on dull days!

Micro adjustment is an offset applied to the full range of the lens so it's not going to help you.

Bob

I'm wondering if it's time for a body upgrade, I could certainly use better high iso performance with this lens on dull days!

That's a limitation of your lens, not your camera body. F6.3 @ 500mm just won't cut the mustard if conditions are poor..... Unfortunately you'll need to send the lens in for calibration. As Bob mentioned, the micro adjustment on the new bodies only apply's to canon lenses.

That's a limitation of your lens, not your camera body. F6.3 @ 500mm just won't cut the mustard if conditions are poor..... Unfortunately you'll need to send the lens in for calibration. As Bob mentioned, the micro adjustment on the new bodies only apply's to canon lenses.

Is this correct? I had not read that the adjustment wouldn't apply to 3rd party lenses.

My thinking behind improved iso performance was the ability to raise the shutter speed without suffering too much noise.

...... As Bob mentioned, the micro adjustment on the new bodies only apply's to canon lenses.
I didn't say this Pete :shrug: Sigma lenses can be added to the MA table in the normal way

Is this correct? I had not read that the adjustment wouldn't apply to 3rd party lenses.

Any Eos format lenses can registered in the MA table but there's only one value per lens and the offset will be active through the whole range of a zoom lens.

Bob

Sigma were doing a recall on some 150-500s depending on serial number, it may be worth checking their website :)

Any Eos format lenses can registered in the MA table but there's only one value per lens and the offset will be active through the whole range of a zoom lens.

Bob

Thanks Bob.

Sigma were doing a recall on some 150-500s depending on serial number, it may be worth checking their website :)

This is a lens that has been checked & returned!

I'm a bit dissapointed that it isn't perfect to be honest:bat:

Sorry to revive this thread again,
I was playing with my sigma lens today and found out that my sigma 150-500 is front focusing.
I use a Canon 7D, any tips on how to sort out this problem please?
many thanks

Amin

Is this a new body since you last used the lens, only I don't understand why it should start doing it now. You have Micro Adjust on the 7D so you should be able to sort it with that.

Is this a new body since you last used the lens, only I don't understand why it should start doing it now. You have Micro Adjust on the 7D so you should be able to sort it with that.

Not new body, just that I have always felt images were not precisely focused so I decided to run some tests, thats when I found out that its minutely front focusing

In the end I swapped my lens for another copy which is much better.

I also updated my firmware, which helped further, & this copy is also much sharper wide open......bonus :)

You say yours "minutely" front focussing. From the tests I carried out I still find the centre of focus slightly ahead but my target is within the dof. I do wonder if absolutely "perfect" focus is achievable?

You should be OK with 7d though, as you can adjust.

Back