Sigma 150-500mm autofocus

Name
Selena
Edit My Images
Yes
I bought one from eBay and it arrived today.
Sometimes the focus locks on but a lot of the time it moves in and out of focus.
Looking at google it's not an uncommon problem (checked the serial no but it wasn't one of the recalled ones).

I just wondered if anyone here has had this problem and how much did it cost to fix?

I don't know what the weather's like in Kent today, but could this be because of low light/contrast rather than especially poor AF performance of the lens? I have a 150-500 but haven't really noticed its AF being particularly poor.

I've just had a replacement Sigma 150-500 OS after a warranty claim but not for an AF issue. The lens was fantastic for 11 months and then started giving me problems with the viewfinder going dark and locking up my 7D. Had the new one just over a week now and while it's not had a lot of use since I got it, mainly due to poor weather, but I've had no AF issues.

As Adrian said, it could be more to do with the light conditions that day as it's been mainly dull grey, but it would be worth checking it again when you get some decent lighting, mines been great for AF.

Sigma standard charge is £131.99 for repair of a 150-500, sent mine for a new IS.

Problem is sending the dam thing with the weight cost about £24 RMSD

Low light and low contrast are hardly the ideal conditions for it (or any long, slow lens). Mine used to hunt a bit, especially trying to shoot camouflaged aircraft from above over a cluttered background (or SBJ birds in front of tangled twigs etc). Once it had locked on, it could follow well enough though.

I had a problem with the Auto-Focus on my 150-500 it was four months out of warranty.

I sent it to Sigma Uk on the Monday for a quote and it was repaired and returned on the Friday " No Charge"

service@sigma-imaging-uk.com

01707 329 999

Last edited:
Back