Sigma 150-600 difference in models

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Am looking to buy a Sigma 150-600 zoom lens for my Nikon’s. There are 2 versions - Contemporary and Sports. I will be shooting motorsports, music festivals etc with this lens. Is there a big enough difference between the 2 lenses to justify buying the sport version which seems to be around £450 more than the contemporary. Both models appear to be FX but seem to have different optics And take a different sized front filter. Can anyone explain all the differences please? TIA.

Have had both, still have the Sport version.

Basically Sport is very slightly sharper and weather sealed but it's a lump to carry around. The contemporary is much cheaper and lighter. I think there is (or used to be) quite a bit of sample variation though as I had a couple of each before I was happy with them but I have had this Sport for nearly 5 years with no problems.

There is also the 60-600mm which is supposed to be better than both, it also has really good close focus ability apparently.

Sport (Canon 7D)

Ramex Delta - RIAT 2016
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Contemporary (same 7D)

RIAT 2015
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Tbh, both do a great job ... I prefer the sport because of it's build but must admit I am finding it hard work to carry these days.

Last edited:
I have had both ,there is virtually no difference in finished I.q between them .the sport is far heavier and after just under 3 years of use had to go back to Japan for a total rebuild , the C i sold to a friend when I changed system but as far as I know is still working fine ... ....
If it was my money I would go for the C version .

Many thanks for all resolves on this thread - very useful information. The review that TCR4x4 posted a link to was very informative. I think one of the key comments in the review was about the weight and having to use a tripod and gimbal which is going to rule out the `sports version for me and the amazing looking 60-600mm which is an absolute beast of a lens.

The contemporary version of the lens is £779 new at the moment (MPB have them at £704 used) so I think if I go ahead I will treat myself and get a new one.

Thanks again for all the comments.

Don’t forget to register it with sigma to get the 3 yr warranty ,( if they still do it) ?

I've never shot with either but have seriously considered buying one a few times in the past. As far as IQ goes there seems to be little difference between them. Some reviews show the Sport being sharper, some the Contemporary, and some no difference. As said above there seems to be some sample variation. The C is much smaller and lighter, and actually slightly faster than the Sport, in that it holds on to an f5.6 aperture for a longer focal length than the Sport. I know it's only 1/3rd of a stop but every little helps at these apertures.

Hi, I have the C for my Nikon D800. I use it on a tripod on my dining-room table. (I never take it outside. It is too cumbersome. ) For pics like this :

D80_6997-s150c-tp.jpg

Vintage car event pics I take with my Nikkor 4/70-200. (I do not need a long FL, because I can sit by the road ... ):

D80_7519-n70c-tp.jpg

I have the C, which I chose over the sport because I wanted something “small” when I didn’t want to lug a 120-300 f/2.8 around.

One thing I find is that the weight is better for carrying, but actually detrimental for hand holding. I haven’t tried the Sport, so it may actually be different, but the additional weight makes my 120-300 far more stable when shooting from the hand (inc with a TC to get to 420 and 600mm). I think it’s just so long and light that it amplifies any hand movement, whereas weightier lenses seem to dampen those movements more.

I would make the following suggestion if you embark on these Sigma (or Tamron) telephotos....

Try to see if you can get a loan of a lens and use it in the manner you intend before purchasing. Not just taking it out of the shot and see if you can get a pigeon sitting on an aerial in focus... OH bought one nearly (C variant) 2 years ago for a trip to Costa Rica, and was very comfortable using it outside the shop in Colwyn Bay. Got to our hotel in San Jose, into the garden and we both struggled with it; we couldn't get to the bottom of it but she just did not enjoy using it. Come back from CR and it gets swapped for an XT-3.

I did own a 150-500 PK fit and and thought it was a bit unwieldy. It is the perfect social distancing lens I have to say, people come too close to you at an air show and they feel the lens hood very quickly when I panned.

I have the 200-500 mm Nikkor which in my opinion is a better balanced lens than the 150-600 C. The f6.3 of the 600mm teles does not help my type of photography and I also find f5.6 limiting too.

I cannot comment on the 150-600 S or the Tamron. But please do more than just a cursory focus check at the shop and really test the lens before you buy, you might find one version is more suitable than the other for you,...

How about the Tamron 150-600 G2?
These can be had for a good price via the likes of einfinity.

I got a second hand C from a local camera shop for my D5300 and like it - now changed to use with D500 (faster AF than D5300). Mostly hand held, occasional monopod, and like it. I am very much an amateur so weight and cost for S was not considered viable.

I would make the following suggestion if you embark on these Sigma (or Tamron) telephotos....

Try to see if you can get a loan of a lens and use it in the manner you intend before purchasing. Not just taking it out of the shot and see if you can get a pigeon sitting on an aerial in focus... OH bought one nearly (C variant) 2 years ago for a trip to Costa Rica, and was very comfortable using it outside the shop in Colwyn Bay. Got to our hotel in San Jose, into the garden and we both struggled with it; we couldn't get to the bottom of it but she just did not enjoy using it. Come back from CR and it gets swapped for an XT-3.

I did own a 150-500 PK fit and and thought it was a bit unwieldy. It is the perfect social distancing lens I have to say, people come too close to you at an air show and they feel the lens hood very quickly when I panned.

I have the 200-500 mm Nikkor which in my opinion is a better balanced lens than the 150-600 C. The f6.3 of the 600mm teles does not help my type of photography and I also find f5.6 limiting too.

I cannot comment on the 150-600 S or the Tamron. But please do more than just a cursory focus check at the shop and really test the lens before you buy, you might find one version is more suitable than the other for you,...

Balance is essential for walking around with a big lens all day. The new canon R mount has a 100-500mm L which is compact and pretty damn sharp !

But it's an f7.1 lens, if I spent £2900 on a lens it's got to be faster than an f5.6. I was struggling in the canopy with the Nikkor f5.6 200-500 (not handling but light) and wishing occasionally I spent the extra on the 200-400 f4 (but that is a much larger lens).

Balance is essential for walking around with a big lens all day. The new canon R mount has a 100-500mm L which is compact and pretty damn sharp !
Yes and 3 times the price.

Back