Sigma 150-600 S or Canon 400 do mark i

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
I need a bit of advice from all you very knowledgeable people out there.
I'm thinking of a new lens for wildlife. Do i go for a new Sigma 150-600 sports or contempary lens.....OR...... A used Canon 400 f4 DO IS lens. I know there is a large weight difference between the two, but its the image quality between the two lenses that interests me most, I will at times want to use a 1.4 converter with the 400 for the extra reach, Will attaching a converter noticeably slow down the auto focus. I use 7D mark ii camera
The new mark ii 400mm Do lens, is out of reach, due to my pockets not being deep enough.

I checked out and tested both the canon 100-400mk2 and the sigma 150-600c. Would have tested the sport model but the contemporary is heavy enough. I liked both lenses and the thing that made me get the contemporary was the extra reach. I really don't like using extenders. So far I am pleased with results

Hi John. The 400mm DO mark I is notoriously soft (the mark ii is much better) so I would suggest the Sport Sigma.

Hi John. The 400mm DO mark I is notoriously soft (the mark ii is much better) so I would suggest the Sport Sigma.
Hi Mark. I'm afraid the 400 mark ii is way out of my pocket. Thats why i wanted a comparison with the Sigma 150-600 Sport. in the image quality department.

If you search out my images on here in birding section or 80D thread or sigma 150-600 sport thread you will see lots from the sigma sport ,I have had mine 18 months now and it rarely comes off the camera.
It works well with the 7D2 as I have used it with that body ,btw it will A/F with a 1.4 tc giving 820mm without a huge loss in speed if you use a canon mkii t.c ,beware other brands and models will not work on the 7d2 and 80d including the canon mkiii tc with that lens

Last edited:
Thanks Jeff. My concern with the Sigma paired up with the 7d ii plus converter is the slow shutter speeds you are probably going to get, especially if the light is a little dull. Do you think image quality is better than the Contemporary. My reason for looking at the canon 400mm Do mark 1 is it's lightness. But with this lens i believe there is an image quality issue with some copies. hope you can see my dilemma.

If you search out my images on here in birding section or 80D thread or sigma 150-600 sport thread you will see lots from the sigma sport ,I have had mine 18 months now and it rarely comes off the camera.
It works well with the 7D2 as I have used it with that body ,btw it will A/F with a 1.4 tc giving 820mm without a huge loss in speed if you use a canon mkii t.c ,beware other brands and models will not work on the 7d2 and 80d including the canon mkiii tc with that lens

Right John a bit of history ,there are four of us in the household all wildlife togs ,between us we either have or have used most combos of cameras and lenses ,each have there good and bad points .the one you point out the 400 DO my lads g.f had for six months it wasn't producing consistent images so it went and you are correct . And yes I do think the sport is better than the C ,but that's just my own p.o.v I have seen good shots from both .
As for focus speed I can do b.i.f with a mkii canon 1.4 tc on so it's that capable .but in all honesty I prefer the bare lens 600mm is a hell of a length and certainly produces the goods

Right John a bit of history ,there are four of us in the household all wildlife togs ,between us we either have or have used most combos of cameras and lenses ,each have there good and bad points .the one you point out the 400 DO my lads g.f had for six months it wasn't producing consistent images so it went and you are correct . And yes I do think the sport is better than the C ,but that's just my own p.o.v I have seen good shots from both .
As for focus speed I can do b.i.f with a mkii canon 1.4 tc on so it's that capable .but in all honesty I prefer the bare lens 600mm is a hell of a length and certainly produces the goods
Thanks for all that Jeff, i appreciate it.
To be honest i had been leaning towards the Sigma. The main sticking point being its weight. I will have to learn to deal with it.
Thanks. John.

The weight is not a problem ,it's dealing with it that is ,I use a black rapid strap which I have added a couple of op.tech quick release adaptors to using the lens lug and a long arca plate ,this gives me a perfect centre of gravity and I hardly notice the weight of the lens .i use it a g.p walk around lens ,and baring in mind I,m nearly 71 it shouldn't cause you a problem

Back