Sigma 150-600 sport battery drain

Name
Mick
Edit My Images
No
Looking for some advice/thoughts
Just picked up a new Sigma 150-600 sport to use on my D7500 body.
Been out today and the battery drain is horrendous, fully charged Nikon battery and a new third party battery both have had 3 charge cycles.
Manage 10 shots out of each battery, a total of about 25 minutes, both lens and body firmware are up to date.
Replaced lens with the 18-140 kit lens and managed a couple of hundred shot and battery still going strong.
Any thoughts before I send the lens back.
Thanks
Mick

I use canon 7dmk 2, batteries varying ages, goodness knows how many recharge cycles they've been through (never counted) but no excessive drains though, more than my old Tamron lens but that's to be expected.

Ponder if your lens is constantly focus hunting?

I have had both the sport and the C and neither have affected the camera battery in any way at all . something is very wrong but I would suggest its more camera wise than the lens .. is the a/f moving about all the time ?

Just unpacked gear and tried the supposedly flat batteries in body with the kit lens and they work fine even says they are fully charged, put the Sigma on and after 10 or so shots camera shuts down saying flat battery.
Turn of change lens no issues so looks like lens is going back

Definitely wrong - possibly a short somewhere in the lens.

do all the functions on the lens work? if they do then it's not likely to be an issue with the lens itself ... have the same lens and use it on a D7100 and D500 and I can be out all week and not have an issue (with grip). It may be an extra current draw on the batteries is highlightling an issue with the batteries themselves.

do all the functions on the lens work? if they do then it's not likely to be an issue with the lens itself ... have the same lens and use it on a D7100 and D500 and I can be out all week and not have an issue (with grip). It may be an extra current draw on the batteries is highlightling an issue with the batteries themselves.
Lens works for 10 or so shots then the battery appears to be flat camera shuts down, three new batteries all do the same, change lens no issues even with the supposedly flat battery, only does it with the Sigma lens

and what are the batteries .. Nikon? .. I cannot see a possible way for the lens to cause a discharge of a battery in such a short space of time .. I think even if you created a dead short (connect one pole to the other) I still cannot see it discharging the battery in 10 shots. Ok, so check that the Nikon battery is not the "recall" battery for a start .. how old is the Nikon battery and what other batteries have you got? How old are they? .. if these batteries are not at fault (which I think they may be), check that all functions on the camera work ie: without taking a photo check that all buttons work and lens can be adjusted and IS works .. if all works then there shouldnt be a short anywhere. I suspect the batteries are on the way out myself. Are the batteries warm to touch if you have them fully charged then use the camera/lens and the battery is dead check their temperature .. are they very warm? Otherwise, take the camera/lens to a camera shop and ask if they can chuck in a new battery for taking a dozen shots .. if the shops battery works ok then there is a problem with yours ... report back and we can help some more :)

and what are the batteries .. Nikon? .. I cannot see a possible way for the lens to cause a discharge of a battery in such a short space of time .. I think even if you created a dead short (connect one pole to the other) I still cannot see it discharging the battery in 10 shots. Ok, so check that the Nikon battery is not the "recall" battery for a start .. how old is the Nikon battery and what other batteries have you got? How old are they? .. if these batteries are not at fault (which I think they may be), check that all functions on the camera work ie: without taking a photo check that all buttons work and lens can be adjusted and IS works .. if all works then there shouldnt be a short anywhere. I suspect the batteries are on the way out myself. Are the batteries warm to touch if you have them fully charged then use the camera/lens and the battery is dead check their temperature .. are they very warm? Otherwise, take the camera/lens to a camera shop and ask if they can chuck in a new battery for taking a dozen shots .. if the shops battery works ok then there is a problem with yours ... report back and we can help some more :)

Not batteries camera works perfect on the kit lens, One Nikon Battery came with new kit a month ago, 3 charge cycles, Two third party batteries again a month old with maybe one or two charge cycles.

I need to know ...
1. do all the lens functions work?
2. Is the lens brand new? if it is take it back to the shop you got it from and see if they can test it and your camera/lens .. if it is discharging batteries as quick as what you say then they can test camera/lens/batteries right their in the shop
3. Have your (ALL) batteries tested?
4. what are the third party batteries ????? Brand and age please
5. report back with the info ... we need this info to help you
IMO the Sigma will use more battery power than other lenses due to the fact that is has a higher current draw due to it's size ... it wont be that much though ... so if all functions on the lens work, then I doubt that the lens is at fault. We need the info requested to help you ...

Given the process of elimination you've gone through, different lens, different battery etc, I'd hoick it back to wherever you got it from. The common denominator is the lens.

GC

I need to know ...
1. do all the lens functions work? Yes all work
2. Is the lens brand new? if it is take it back to the shop you got it from and see if they can test it and your camera/lens .. if it is discharging batteries as quick as what you say then they can test camera/lens/batteries right their in the shop. Brand new as is the body and Batteries,
Batteries are not actually discharging the body says they are flat and shuts down but on further investigation, change lens or turn off and take out and reinsert they work again

3. Have your (ALL) batteries tested?
4. what are the third party batteries ????? Brand and age please Turpow 2000 mAh
5. report back with the info ... we need this info to help you
IMO the Sigma will use more battery power than other lenses due to the fact that is has a higher current draw due to it's size ... it wont be that much though ... so if all functions on the lens work, then I doubt that the lens is at fault. We need the info requested to help you ...

Bit of an update, after some digging and a couple of calls there had been issues with firmware causing this issue, although the firmware said it was the latest suggestion was to run update again, also I did the camera firmware again as well.

Just fired off about a 100 shots in the garden and seems to be ok (fingers crossed), will try properly over weekend weather permitting.

Both Lens and camera firmware showed they were the latest so wondering if the may have been a glitch when I did the updates first time round

That does sound logical . The usb hub is easy to use as long as it’s done correctly I.e re.writing every single stage of the operations . I always used to check each bit as done to ensure it had taken

I updated my lens firmware 1.03 I think it said

Back