Sigma 150-600 Sport vs Canon 100-400 II with converter

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm getting close to finding enough loose change down the sofa for an EOS 7D2 together with a new lens. I currently have a Canon 70/200 f4 and a Canon 400mm f5.6 in my bag for telephoto use.

I'm considering either selling both of these and replacing with the Canon 100-400 and a teleconverter or alternatively getting the Sigma but keeping the 70/200 as I think the Sigma may be a bit too much as a walk around telephoto. My other lenses are a Tamron 17/50 and Canon 10/22

Subjects will be birds, wildlife and aircraft plus general subjects requiring a bit of extra reach

I've tried searching and had a quick trawl through both the Sigma threads but I'm sure others have been through this same process and hoped they will be kind enough to share their thoughts before splashing the cash. Also having made there decisions do they have any issues or regrets

Thanks for all your input

The Sigma 150-600mm Sport is too heavy as a walk-around telephoto. It's twice the weight of a Canon 100-400, plus it's longer so your left arm needs to support it further away from your body. It really needs a monopod.

Incidentally I'm 171cm tall and not keen on going to the gym. YMMV.

If you near to me you are more than welcome to try my 7d mk2 100-400 mk2 , what about the C version sigma same lens but half the weight.

I have the original mark 1 100-400 and don't find it too heavy.. And am extremely happy with the quality. So the mark 2 will be all that bit more!

I haven't used the Sigma, but the 100-400 ii with 1.4x iii on a 7D2 is my most used combination. Light, easy to carry and use and superb quality. I have carried it for at least an hour every day this week (hoping for swallows whilst walking the dog).

I've had both the Sigma 150-600 'C' & Sport lenses & the Canon 100-400mkii and can honestly say that the Sport is restricting when it comes to carrying it around whilst birding. The Canon 100-400 mkii is a great lens and takes the 1.4 mkiii extender well too but I felt that the Sigma Contemporary offered that little bit extra and IQ compared very well with it. There is also the option to use the designated Sigma 1.4 extender which increases the range even further and the dock which enables customisation and firmware updates at will.
I don't find the 'C' to be much heavier than the Canon + extender to carry especially if you use a Black Raid strap which absorbs most of the weight anyway.
I'm not saying that the Sport isn't a good lens, it is, but it's not significantly better than the 'C' version to justify the extra cost and weight unless weather sealing is a pre requisite.

All 3 lenses offer great options but I now have just the Contemporary and am happy with my decision.

If you near to me you are more than welcome to try my 7d mk2 100-400 mk2 , what about the C version sigma same lens but half the weight.
Thanks for the offer but I'm in the wilds of Norfolk. Just wondered if you considered either of the Sigma's before choosing the Canon and if so what swung it for you

I've had both the Sigma 150-600 'C' & Sport lenses & the Canon 100-400mkii and can honestly say that the Sport is restricting when it comes to carrying it around whilst birding. The Canon 100-400 mkii is a great lens and takes the 1.4 mkiii extender well too but I felt that the Sigma Contemporary offered that little bit extra and IQ compared very well with it. There is also the option to use the designated Sigma 1.4 extender which increases the range even further and the dock which enables customisation and firmware updates at will.
I don't find the 'C' to be much heavier than the Canon + extender to carry especially if you use a Black Raid strap which absorbs most of the weight anyway.
I'm not saying that the Sport isn't a good lens, it is, but it's not significantly better than the 'C' version to justify the extra cost and weight unless weather sealing is a pre requisite.

All 3 lenses offer great options but I now have just the Contemporary and am happy with my decision.
Thanks for posting such a comprehensive reply outlining your thoughts. Its much appreciated

What a load of utter cobblers ,I have the sigma sport on a gripped canon 80d ,I use it 100% of the time as a walk around birding lens ,and while yes it is heavy if mounted using a black rapid strap there's no problem with it at all ..
And also don't forget that with your other option your maximum focal length is around 540 mm but the sigma lens with the right t.c I.e canon mkii or the sigma one that extends to 840mm .

Oh and btw I,m not some young buck walking round with this combo I'm fast approaching 71 years young

and while yes it is heavy if mounted using a black rapid strap there's no problem with it at all

How does that make it lighter? Or am I misunderstanding that everyone's problem with the Sport isn't weight?

What a load of utter cobblers ,I have the sigma sport on a gripped canon 80d ,I use it 100% of the time as a walk around birding lens ,and while yes it is heavy if mounted using a black rapid strap there's no problem with it at all ..
And also don't forget that with your other option your maximum focal length is around 540 mm but the sigma lens with the right t.c I.e canon mkii or the sigma one that extends to 840mm .

Oh and btw I,m not some young buck walking round with this combo I'm fast approaching 71 years young
Can I ask if you considered the Canon combo and if so what swayed you to choose the Sigma

It's not 'utter cobblers' at all Jeff, it's my opinion based on owning all three lenses. The Sport is a heavy lens to carry around compared to the other 2 and for no major gain over the C imo and you still get 840mm with an extender with the C.
I'm no wimp either but I found the Sport to be a burden if on a longish walk. It's fine if you static a lot if the time but hiking around Norfolk up and down dunes and around wooded areas was a slog even with a Black Rapid strap.
You find it easy which us fine and your results are excellent with it but there are a lot of folk who would disagree with you and find it to be a heavy beast.

Back