Sigma 150-600mm contemporary

Hi Dougie, thanks for taking the time to respond. I was hoping not to spend even half of that at the moment. I appreciate that you get what you pay for (to some extent) but there are similar looking heads on a famous auction site for a quarter of that. Obviously not the same quality but maybe good enough for me to determine if that's what I want to use.

This is one I have earmarked as a possible: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360-Degr...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 - your thoughts?

Hi Dougie, thanks for taking the time to respond. I was hoping not to spend even half of that at the moment. I appreciate that you get what you pay for (to some extent) but there are similar looking heads on a famous auction site for a quarter of that. Obviously not the same quality but maybe good enough for me to determine if that's what I want to use.

This is one I have earmarked as a possible: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360-Degree-Panoramic-Gimbal-Tripod-Ball-Heads-For-BK-45-Camera/174195208773?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 - your thoughts?

For that price, it's got to be worth a go I would say.

Dougie.

Can I ask, if you are using a gimbal head with this lens, which one do you use?

I've never used a gimbal but am tempted due to the weight of this lens - just wary of spending too much money in case I don't get on with it.

Also consider what you are shooting. If you are aiming the lens down or horizontal, gimbals are fine but if you tilt the lens upwards it can can difficult to see through the viewfinder or look at a fixed screen.

Also consider what you are shooting. If you are aiming the lens down or horizontal, gimbals are fine but if you tilt the lens upwards it can can difficult to see through the viewfinder or look at a fixed screen.

Hi Brentor, yes that's exactly one of the reasons I want to try before I buy (so to speak) or at least not spend too much at this point. I'm hoping to use the head for wildlife on the gound and stationary birds to start with.

I used mine at the weekend shooting in to dark shady scenes and the IQ was ok.
This lens is very good in bright light and will struggle in darker and indoor environments.
It is a great lens and I have got some very detailed moon images.

I have not hooked it up to the dock yet as I want to enable the dynamic OS feature

I used mine at the weekend shooting in to dark shady scenes and the IQ was ok.
This lens is very good in bright light and will struggle in darker and indoor environments.
It is a great lens and I have got some very detailed moon images.

I have not hooked it up to the dock yet as I want to enable the dynamic OS feature
Planning some moon shots myself.. would be very interested to see your results.

So, I had a spare 5 minutes and thought I would scratch an itch I have had for a while. I dusted off the D7200 and put on the 150-600mm Contemp. I then added the FTZ to the Z6 and took the same shot.

Both handheld at 1/800th and f8 at 600mm. One had an ISO of 6400, one had an ISO of 4000. Naturally lit from the window behind.

These have not been edited in any way and are SOOC. They have been compressed with jpeg mini to 1600 longest edge.

Can you guess which is which, and why?
Z6 7200 comparison.jpg

Last edited:
As requested an image of the moon taken with the Sigma Bazooka !
View attachment 283939
I took this with a full manual 500mm £60 lens with a 2x TC a few months ago, waiting for correct conditions to try the sigma.
wasn't bad for a cheapo lens but you can see the chromatic aberration and imperfections...

4D0F79A8-90BF-43BA-BCB1-E3A3C694A4C4.jpeg
using this, was a complete mare to use.
AB0A39B9-9E91-4381-923F-6A33721D540A.jpeg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Even cheaper now.. link below show £41! LOL. seems several identical under different brands, the one i got was branded Neewer.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Manual-500mm-Telephoto-Canon-Pentax/dp/B089K6WXLT/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=500mm+f/8&qid=1592980581&s=electronics&sr=1-3

It had to be tripod mounted, very limited use cases but you get what you pay for.. can’t see me using it again now I have the Sigma.
Sigma will be a lot easier to hand hold than the Neewer one :)

25577440-DB4F-4798-9788-E3891F0FD209.jpeg126197FC-EBD4-4D4F-86A3-764C23644B87.jpeg

So first clear night with the moon in the right place was last night, 30th July.

The sigma 600 with 1.4XTC on gimballed tripod. I have sharpened on the iPad only and probably over done it but I like to look of the craters. Included the original for comparison.

The cheap gimbal head made this so much easier than ball head.

Lots of atmospheric shimmer but came out OK.

This is one I have earmarked as a possible: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360-Degr...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 - your thoughts?

I was intrigued by this, after some research gave it a punt. I bought a cheap one, which when it turned up was ceased up despite being new.. other reviews had warned. Using advice on YouTube I took to bits and cleaned up my cheapo gimbal, added a spring and some grease and it’s awesome:

Attachments

• EB090E75-912B-4F01-8828-6DC9F549B256.jpeg
    EB090E75-912B-4F01-8828-6DC9F549B256.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 8A4AD1F9-B639-48C7-A76D-15B855EDC844.jpeg
    8A4AD1F9-B639-48C7-A76D-15B855EDC844.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 24
I was intrigued by this, after some research gave it a punt. I bought a cheap one, which when it turned up was ceased up despite being new.. other reviews had warned. Using advice on YouTube I took to bits and cleaned up my cheapo gimbal, added a spring and some grease and it’s awesome:

Hi Mark, That looks like the Neewer one - I bought that too. Unlike several folks on here and elsewhere I've been lucky as mine hasn't needed any adjustment. I agree with your final comment - it is awesome :)

The manual states the OS system should be turned off when on a tripod. I don’t often use a tripod but did today and for most of the shoot I forget to turn it off. I have not yet downloaded to a pc, but looking at camera screen the shots appear to be fine. I was using fairly high speeds.

Advice on the web is not consistent, as usual. Some sites say turn it off, others say leave it on particularly if tripod, the tripod lens mount or the floor is not stable.

Any thoughts?

It should be switched off as movement is 'added' by the lens to counter shaky hands. You don't want that on a tripod as the idea is to keep it as still as possible.

Obviously at faster shutter speeds any movement won't be seen, but theoretically at slower speeds it will. I've never put it to the test myself, but that's the theory.

Back