Sigma 150mm new vs 180mm used

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys im ready to buy a macro lens now im im going for a Sigma but what do i do.

( 1 ) New 150mm sigma Macro lens for £360 all in including 18 months EXTENDED warranty.

Or go with a second hand macro

( 2 ) Sigma 180mm macro lens for £300

I think its a no brainer that I should go with the new lens but just wonted some input just incase the 180mm is a bargin thats all

Keep in mind that the 150 is f2.8 while the 180 is f3.5! Not sure if this matter to you, but it is something to think about.

That said, the 180 does give you the extra reach, and even from OneStop Digital you would not be able to get it for less than £450! So, there may be a great saving for you, there!

If you went with the used 180, do you have an option to return it if you don't like / want it?

btw you don't need the extended 18 month warranty as sigma give you a free 3 year warranty with EX lenses

yeah where is this extended warranty comming from? Jessops? if so check it covers you for damage, else it may be worth you just having the sigma one. How much extra is the warranty as without, the lens may be a bit chearper

Depends on what you want the lens for, but I would go for the 150mm. Ive got the 150mm and can't fault it. :)

Just bugs water drop stuff like that you know run of the mill things for now.

Keep in mind that the 150 is f2.8 while the 180 is f3.5! Not sure if this matter to you, but it is something to think about.
If you went with the used 180, do you have an option to return it if you don't like / want it?

Hi m8 this is my first macro lens so cant say much about the Apeture but I think i would have the lens at around f8/f16 anyway as thats ment to be the sweet spot

btw you don't need the extended 18 month warranty as sigma give you a free 3 year warranty with EX lenses
As i say it comes free

yeah where is this extended warranty comming from? Jessops? if so check it covers you for damage, else it may be worth you just having the sigma one. How much extra is the warranty as without, the lens may be a bit chearper

Hi as I say its free but I would still use the extended sigma warranty.

Now the shop im going to use is called PurelyGadgets its not the first time I have used them and I know most of the time you end up :bang:. But the good thing to come out of it is the price.

I think the lenses may be grey imports but not 100% on it but thats not a problem. As you pay VAT on the lenses sigma will Honor warranty .
Just take a screen shot when you have payed for the goods so you have the screen shot of the price befor and after vat is added.

I could save around £26 if I used Onestop Digital but the Sigma international warranty is no good as Sigma Uk will not Honor it as you have not payed VAT.

Sigma international warranty is no good as Sigma Uk will not Honor it as you have not payed VAT.

Agreed, I found Sigma UK superb when they just replaced my 150mm lens (very soft on non-macro objects). I'd hate to lose that warranty for the sake of £26!

You'll only get 1 year from Purely, not 3 though. Sigma UK only give 3 year on UK lenses.

Take a look at there site m8 you get a extra 18 mths warranty (y)

Pluse as i say i have payed TAX on the lens in the uk so coverd by Sigma (y)

If you are doing bugs Im not sure you need that extra bit of length on the lens.

If it was me, Id go for the new one.

Chappers thanks for the ink m8 but looked on that site some time ago. I was going to go with a 100mm macro but told 150mm+ is better to have as you dont have to get so close.

I am all so going with all Sigma ex Lenses

Hay guys just so you know you do pay VAT on the lenses so no problem with Sigma at lest there should not be.

mobboss

where was this ordered from?

Good news bad news

Good news my lens is in the post so im pleased I placed my order on the 19/05/08 at 16.30 so 2 days cant be bad as last time it was about 11 days befor i got the lenses.

Now the bad news its right the lenses are Gray inports so cant get the extended warranty from Sigma uk. But not so much a problem as i say comes with a 18 mth warranty with them anyway. But going to phone sigma tomorrow to ask about the first 12 mth's cover. After all i have payed vat on the goods

who was this with?

Not trying to be funny m8 but i did post the name 4 post down and its all so in the photo above. LOL anyway its PurelyGadgets hope that helps

yeah ok sorry lol been up or a few nights strait lol

is there any difference wiht the imports? how come they are so much cheaper than the UK stock

Hi m8 Imports and UK stock are the same there both made in the same factory and they both come from the same warehouse. Its just if you buy the item in the UK you get hit with VAT and so on and the price is more anyway. When you Import most of the time you pay no VAT and the lens is cheaper as its not been bought in the UK.

The UK is one of the best place's to sell good as we pay way over the top for all are good. Thats why sigma canon nikon tamron goods cost so much in the UK same with othere goods to.

seems silly to me that sigma UK will not honor the warranty if its the same stock. It shouldnt matter where you get it. Oh well... i dont know if i should go for a grey import and risk the copy, or if i should go all out and buy the UK spec one. Local camera shop says they are doing it for 419, so im going to try and get them to price match it for me. See how it goes...

Sigma UK will cover the lens for 12 mths but will not give the 3 years warranty

Did you phone Sigma for them to confirm the import, as they told me... this is going back a few months now but they told me that if it was imported then i would have to send it back to its country of origin

Back