Sigma 150mm vs 180mm macro

Edit My Images
Yes
OK so after looking around it looks like the Sigma 150 /180mm macro lenses are one of the best bang for buck macro lenes you can get. But after a lot of looking around i still cant tell witch is the better out the 2 some say the 150 and otheres say 180 but most say there both top class lenses for the money. Anyone got any info as in have you had both lenses if so with was the best one ?.

I don't know why but the 180 just doesn't seem to be very popular at all. I know I was looking at it and I think the only reason i went with the 150 instead was I got a much better price. The 105 and 150 all get rave reviews and I doubt the 180 would be far different.

Give it a try and then we'll all know. ;)

Its around £100 more then the 150 lot to spank on 3 inch but still wont to find out if anyone has had both and witch they went with

Perhaps your best bet is to get along to a shop with both, stick your camera on a tripod and try both lenses for yourself. The only way you'll really know.

I only have jessops close.
After thinking about it the extra £100 cost for the 180mm could be used on a 1.4 /2 x TC then i could not only use it with the macro but all so with my 70-200mm.

How dose that sound ? as I have not used a TC i cant say if it would be any good

I only have jessops close.
After thinking about it the extra £100 cost for the 180mm could be used on a 1.4 /2 x TC then i could not only use it with the macro but all so with my 70-200mm.

How dose that sound ? as I have not used a TC i cant say if it would be any good

better idea,... or macro flash system?

I use the 180mm Canon Macro and it is a lovely bit of kit. Heavy mind and the focal length is too long for anything indoor [under light tent conditions]. Couples well with the MT24 and produces some lovely results.

Bear in mind if you add the 2xTC [which it takes quite happily] then you are effectively doubling the focal length and multiplier so you will have twice life size capabilities.

What do you shoot primarily as Macro?

Can't really tell which is the better lens, I have the Sigma 180mm macro, although I don't do a lot of macro photography, it's good at what it does.

The reason I bought the 180mm was twofold, firstly I liked the idea of a longer reach (compared to 100mm), and the macro would double up as a medium telephoto lens (which it did) until I got a 70-200 F2.8.

I was influenced by a review of the lens in AP (Jan 2006) which pitched the sigma against the canon and tamron 180mm macros, and they all came out pretty much the same.

What do you shoot primarily as Macro?
I would be shooting bug's out side and toys and stuff in side.

One of these. Though I just realized that they are a wee bit over GBP100.
Oh ok i got a link to some macro light rings for around £100 ill have to have a look

The reason I bought the 180mm was twofold, firstly I liked the idea of a longer reach (compared to 100mm), and the macro would double up as a medium telephoto lens (which it did) until I got a 70-200 F2.8.

Oh OK as i say i have a 70-200mm so as above i think ill go with the 150mm and get a 2 x TC so i can then use it on both lenses

So the TC would make the lenses come out like this right or am i way of the mark.
150mm x1.6 = 240mm + TC 480mm

70-200m x1.6 = 112-320mm + TC 224-512mm

So the TC would make the lenses come out like this right or am i way of the mark.
150mm x1.6 = 240mm + TC 480mm

70-200m x1.6 = 112-320mm + TC 224-512mm

Yes and no. The sensor size is a crop factor not a focal length multiplier. The TC will double the focal length after that the difference is how much the image is cropped by the sensor size.

If the sensor size really did change the focal length then a macro lens focused at 1:1 would have a greater working distance on a smaller sensor than with a full frame sensor which isn't the case.

Looking at the Sigma chart for lenses that work with the Sigma TC I found this out.
With a 1.4 x TC the 70-200mm / 150mm / 180mm lenses will all work with AF/MF with a
2 x TC only the 70-200mm will work with AF and the 150mm / 180mm will only work on MF.

If I went with a 2x TC is the MF going to be a problem for macro ?. As I like the way I could have a 400mm telephoto lens

If I went with a 2x TC is the MF going to be a problem for macro ?. As I like the way I could have a 400mm telephoto lens

A lot of people use manual for macro so I can't see it being a problem. Don't forget however that when doubling the length you also lose 2 stops of light.

would that be a big problem for out door stuff ? as in doors i would not use the TC

Oh I was offered a 2 year old sigma 180mm macro for £300 but i think ill go new for the same money with the 150mm

I'm not sure the Sigma would cope very well with a 2x in terms of IQ. I've used it with a 1.4x and noticed a drop in sharpness, enough that it convinced me not to use the 1.4 for macro shots.

Back