Sigma 17-35mm f2.8-4.0 EX DG

Edit My Images
Yes
I just wondered if people can help me out to make my mind up one way or another whether i should purchase this lens.
I have one reserved at Jessops for £135 as it seems to be discontinued and have seen a couple of mixed reviews of this lens.
Please can people give their opinions on this lens bearing in mind the price.
Thanks

It's getting a little long in the tooth now but the price has fallen quite dramatically over the years and is about half of its original selling price.

Way back in its heyday (2004) is was voted the "Best consumer lens in Europe" by TIPA....of course, things have moved on considerably since then but the lens itsself will be no worse now than when it was launched.

Good value at £135....definately. Comparable with a far more expensive Canon 16-35L....no, not close.

Bob

I paid about £260 for mine nearly 3 years ago - i've never had any complaints about its image quality, although i did have to send it back for repair when the autofocus failed. Its done the same lately, but a few sharp movements of the AF/Manual focus switch seemed to sort it out.

You won'thave this issue if it Nikon fit.

You have to be careful with these, certain examples are soft as dung.

If you get a good one? It's a great lens for a great price...but be prepared to be picky and possibly reject one.

Cheers,
James

You have to be careful with these, certain examples are soft as dung.
If you get a good one? It's a great lens for a great price...but be prepared to be picky and possibly reject one.

Cheers,
James

I had that lens! - Soft as wotsit and unusable wide open - I sold it after about 9 months and got the Canon 10-22mm and what a difference (I know the Canon is much wider and expensive, but the IQ was in a different league). I'd get the Canon 17-40L (If you shoot with Canon!) personally although it is more money...
I also didn't like the horrible yellowy/greeny cast that it showed on all my images. I have the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and this has a much lesser cast but it's still there although this lens is sharp!

At £135 it might be worth a shot and if it's not very good either get it calibrated or take it back.

It does get very mixed reviews and I personally have been put off Sigmas because of this lens and the colours, they also have a bad reputation for quality control...

I liked mine.. Took this and many others with it.. However it was soft to the right a bit.. got a canon 17-40L in the end... and eventualy a 24-70 so no wide and miss the 17 now

like all sigma ...its a hit and miss if you get a good one or not..

darlo.jpg

Cheers for the replies.

It a canon fit to go on my 400d.

Whats the best way to check if i have a good one?

Back