sigma 17-50mm f2.8 ex dc os hsm

Name
bleddyn
Edit My Images
Yes
hi i need a new lens after dropping my tamron 17-50 ages ago.im fed up of using my sigma 70-200 f/2.8 as its just to heavy and not wide enough.i would like the canon 17-55 f/2,8 but at around £400.00 used
its a bit much for me.i dont realy want another tamron 17-50 as it wasnt the sharpest copy so i have been looking at sigmas 17-50.has anybody on here used the sigma 17-50 f/2,8
im just wondering how good it actually is.

thanks

bleddyn

Why not a good prime instead? Like the sigma 30mm 1.4, 40mm 2.8, or even a 50mm 1.4?

I actually have the 17-55mm 2.8 and its a cracking lens well worth investing in if your after a lens in that focal length and the IS

im after a lens for landscapes and general everyday use i think the 17-50 focul range is ideal for that i bought a canon 10-18mm but it rarley gets used its just to wide for what i need this will be sold when i decide what 17-50 i get.
i have a a 50mm f/1-8 a sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and a sigma 150-500.last year i went to rallyday at castle coombes i only took my 70-200 with a 1.4 convertor it was a disaster trying to get pics of the show cars just to long.

I also think it's a great lens, have used for a couple of years on my Canon 40D as my main lens and really have no complaints at all. Definitely worth a look, cheers

i think it be best if i take my camera to cardiff in the morning and see if i can get to try the sigma and canon versions out.

I have it in Pentax K mount. I've found it to be an absolutely fantastic lens, both as a general walkaround workhourse and for landscapes. I'm very, very happy with it.

Simon.

I have a sigma 17-50 f/2.8 since a few month and it's a very good lens. It's almost 1/2 price of the canon equivalent, I can't see why anyone would like to pay more for the canon, although before I bought it I was wondering if I should splash the extra cash. I paid mine 220£ from one of the second hand website (ffordes, MBP, not sure which...).

I no longer had a kit lens but I had a 30mm f/1.4 which is fun but I wanted something simpler and more versatile. There's always that moment when a family member ask you to take a group shot with a few people at Christmas and although you have a huge dslr you have to say: "sorry it doesn't fit in my frame, it's not made for this". The 17-50 made you family reunion smoother because you can take the shot! It is a good all rounder lens and at 50mm f/2.8 you can get some nice portrait with nice bokeh too. A minor issue, at first inspection I felt the lens was a bit wobble inside but less so when attached to the body, but I've learnt to leave with it... I checked the results and couldn't see anything wrong with it.

I was interested in the sigma 18-35 f/1.8 which is a unique lens. But it look huge, more costly and 35mm and it's pretty short at the tele-end. And f/1.8 is great but it's not usually at 18mm that I need such an aperture. I'd love to try this lens but was too worry to feel restricted with it.

Also there's the cheap sigma 17-70 which look pretty good. But I after deliberation I went for the 17-50 for the constant aperture.

thanks for the replys and advice i got side tracked today but hopefully i can get out and try both lenses in cardiff in the morning.
thanks

bleddyn

I have the sigma on my 70d and love it. Real solid feel and good size not too big. Bought mine from jessops at 291

well hopefully i can pick one up from jessops they seem to be the cheapest at the moment in this country i would get the canon but the extra money could be used to get my son a lens aswell

i will let you know how i get on

bleddyn

Jessops were great. Go through quidco for cash back, free next day delivery too

That's true but when I bought mine a couple weeks ago it was 291 from jessops. Must have increased prices

That's true but when I bought mine a couple weeks ago it was 291 from jessops. Must have increased prices
It's probably the up and down time again for prices, Amazon had it down to £276 last month.

That good price for brand new uk lens! I just checked I paid 240 include delivery from ffordes second hand... If I knew I would have got a new one!

Edit1: actually I remember now. I knew but decided that 70£ was still some saving...

PS: Does anyone find this lens a bit wobbly inside, one of the back element maybe?

Edit2: actually sounds like I'm not the only one and that it is "normal" and due to the image stabilisation mechanism...

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3621845#forum-post-53088814
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53185290

Last edited:
wex have them for £291.00 i will see if jessops will price match wex.i was meant to be going today but the missus had other ideas.

bleddyn

wex have them for £291.00 i will see if jessops will price match wex.i was meant to be going today but the missus had other ideas.

bleddyn
Do let us know what you think if you try (or get!) it. Like many others have said its a cracking lens for a really good price

i phoned jessops in cardiff they will price match wex price providing wex have it in stock so im off to pick it up in the morning i just hope wex dont sell out or change the price overnight.

bleddyn

hi i need a new lens after dropping my tamron 17-50 ages ago.im fed up of using my sigma 70-200 f/2.8 as its just to heavy and not wide enough.i would like the canon 17-55 f/2,8 but at around £400.00 used
its a bit much for me.i dont realy want another tamron 17-50 as it wasnt the sharpest copy so i have been looking at sigmas 17-50.has anybody on here used the sigma 17-50 f/2,8
im just wondering how good it actually is.

thanks

bleddyn

I,ve had the tamron and now have the sigma and the sigma seems better on most levels, I also wanted the the canon but couldn't justify the extra money and when you look at some reviews on YouTube there isn't a huge amount of difference between the 2 and the tamarin comes in 3rd!
I bought mine off here and I think there's 1 on there now!

I had one, paired with the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 OS HSM. It was a great combo on the crop sensor. But one thing to keep in mind, that's not been mentioned yet, is that the Sigma 17-50mm OS HSM, does not have true ring type HSM. That means no manual focus override, and the focus ring spins when you AF. But it did focus fast and was quiet, wasn't too big of an issue either, as the focus ring was quite narrow to begin with. Would've been worse if it had a wider one.

right i bought the sigma version but the day didnt go to plan .i went to jessops unfortunatley they had none in stock although i was told they had 4 in stock yesterday the guy tried explaing why but i was a little possed off so i just walked out in a huff.
on the way to my cousins i popped in cardiff camera centre and they price matched wex.but i was in such a huff i just bought it without even looking at it in fact i still havent looked at it.i will have a try of it tommorow now and let you know how i get off.

thanks for all the help

bleddyn

right i bought the sigma version but the day didnt go to plan .i went to jessops unfortunatley they had none in stock although i was told they had 4 in stock yesterday the guy tried explaing why but i was a little possed off so i just walked out in a huff.
on the way to my cousins i popped in cardiff camera centre and they price matched wex.but i was in such a huff i just bought it without even looking at it in fact i still havent looked at it.i will have a try of it tommorow now and let you know how i get off.

thanks for all the help

bleddyn
Interested to know how the lens fairs after all the hassle.........can't say the same about knowing how you get off though ;)

Interested to know how the lens fairs after all the hassle.........can't say the same about knowing how you get off though ;)
Likewise, look forward to hearing how you get on; the hassle will be worth it I'm sure!

i tried the lens out the other day it all works as it should but i think i might have problems with my camera the images it produces seem to need lots of messing about with to get sharp im not sure if its like that with all cameras
but its getting on my nerves.my.editing skills are next to useless so i normally end up with noisy images. im blind in my left eye and my right eye is suffering with severe eye strain then i have my glasses to contend with very thick glass and to top it all off my moniter is crap

i would put a pic up from the 17-50 thats been butchered /processed to get sharp but i only have one image as the rest i binned.bit frustrated now as its the same with my 70-200 f/2.8 os

feeling confused and not happy:(

If you can I would post a few images from each lens and let the exif experts look into your problem, you say you get bad images from both lenses which would probably point to a camera issue......but in the past people have posted the same issue and it turned out to be something else. Take things a step at a time and with some help on here your issue may be able to get sorted.

Back