Sigma 17-70 OS HSM vs Canon 15-85 IS USM

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
I am literally on my way to Jessops now, and I intend on leaving the store with one of the above lenses.

I had been 100% set on getting the 15-85 Canon lens, but having read a few reviews of the 17-70 this morning it has left me feeling 50/50 about it.

The Sigma seems to get very good reviews, and is around £300 cheaper... and also has the aperture advantage of going from 2.8-4 vs the Canon's 3.5-5.6

I am only looking at the OS HSM version of the Sigma lens, not the earlier non OS version.

Can anyone help me in my decision?

This will be used as a general walk about lens, used in combination with a 50mm prime, 100mm prime and 55-250 Canon IS zoom, but I imagine the lens I buy today will be on my 40D for 90% of the time.
I take very varied pictures - indoors and outdoors, landscapes and portraits, and often low lit situations (night time pics).

Please advise me!

Cheers

Last edited:
I went through the same process a few months ago. I ended up with the Sigma as it was cheaper and faster, but still sharp and quiet. Although it's not a proper macro it does focus down pretty darn close, which is handy.

Great lens, would certainly recommend it.

I have had the Sigma 17-70 for about a week and cannot fault it, deffinately the best value for money IMHO.

not considered the newer sigma 17-50 hsm?

This is a great lens. I have one as well as the 17/70 which I do not use at the moment.
The 17/50 is 2.8 all the way through. I find it sharp and good on colour definition. It also comes with OS.
I went through a lot of my pics and found that most where below 50 so the 50 to 70 part was not being used a lot hence my decision to get the 17/50 plus it was 2.8 all through which helped with low light etc.

futureal33 said:
I am literally on my way to Jessops now, and I intend on leaving the store with one of the above lenses.

I had been 100% set on getting the 15-85 Canon lens, but having read a few reviews of the 17-70 this morning it has left me feeling 50/50 about it.

The Sigma seems to get very good reviews, and is around £300 cheaper... and also has the aperture advantage of going from 2.8-4 vs the Canon's 3.5-5.6

I am only looking at the OS HSM version of the Sigma lens, not the earlier non OS version.

Can anyone help me in my decision?

This will be used as a general walk about lens, used in combination with a 50mm prime, 100mm prime and 55-250 Canon IS zoom, but I imagine the lens I buy today will be on my 40D for 90% of the time.
I take very varied pictures - indoors and outdoors, landscapes and portraits, and often low lit situations (night time pics).

Please advise me!

Cheers

I would stay with the canon. I will only turn to sigma for their primed. Eg. 85 1.4,50 1.4

I would stay with the canon. I will only turn to sigma for their primed. Eg. 85 1.4,50 1.4

Why? Surely you should buy the best lens at the price you are willing to pay regardless of who makes it? Buying because of a badge and potentially disregarding a superior alternative seems daft to me.

I've not used either lenses although the Canon 15-85 IS has faired well in the few reviews I have read.
When I was looking to buy a SWA lens I went for the Canon 10-22 over the Sigma because of their QA issues.
I recently started a thread about the Sigma 150-500 OS and low and behold, another member posted saying that he had to return his first one because of focussing issues.
If you can find a used Sigma here for sale then fine, you should at least get a good copy.
I am past caring that a new Sigma may be cheaper than a used Canon but I've been through a fair few Canon lenses without a single problem.
Personally I am more for peace of mind than any hassle.
I know we don't all think the same, it's just my tuppence worth :)

Why? Surely you should buy the best lens at the price you are willing to pay regardless of who makes it? Buying because of a badge and potentially disregarding a superior alternative seems daft to me.

Not when a company have history with QA issues.
Again, it's all a matter of personal choice but when there is a potential amount of risk involved, some peope are not prepared to even try.

I've owned a couple of Sigmas and, whilst they can be superb, their quality control is just too variable IMO and it's a lottery whether you end up with a good one or not.

Until I see some signs that this is genuinely changing, I won't be bothering with them again I'm afraid.

So it'd be the 15-85 for me - stonking lens according to every review I've seen.

woof woof said:

With all due respect sir, its not because of the brands. I have had some third party lenses and the back/front focusing issues is just something I can't live with. Yes its true that one can send their lenses and bodies to be calibtared. But its a hassle. For me it is. Sigma lenses offers great value for money. But its just not my cup of tea when it comes to their zoom lenses. I love their primes anyway.

Interesting..

From what Ive read its the Sigma primes that seem to be more at fault than the zooms! (the EX 1.4 range especially)
I was very temped to buy the 30mm 1.4 but I read so many reviews mentioning focus issues, soft copies, etc etc that it put me right off! On the other hand, I havent read *as many* bad reviews about their zoom lenses.

With all due respect sir, its not because of the brands. I have had some third party lenses and the back/front focusing issues is just something I can't live with. Yes its true that one can send their lenses and bodies to be calibtared. But its a hassle. For me it is. Sigma lenses offers great value for money. But its just not my cup of tea when it comes to their zoom lenses. I love their primes anyway.

Good luck with it, sir. Persoanally buying second best because of the badge isn't my tipple at all but each to his own. I'll continue to buy the best at each price point, no problems so far :)

Back