Sigma 17-70 upgrade to 24-70, worth it?

Edit My Images
No
Currently have a Sigma 17-70 and, whilst I'm fairly happy with it, it's only f/2.8 at the very wide end and the smaller aperture at longer lengths causes problems sometimes in low light.

Considering upgrading to a Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 but wondering whether people think this is a worthwhile switch? Has anyone done this upgrade or have experience of both lenses? How do they compare IQ wise? Both seem to get very good reviews.

I had the 24-70mm on a 30d - good IQ and nice handling, but in city i always needed a wider angle for buildings etc. I was invariably swapping to my Sigma 17-35 f2.8/4.

Can't comment on the 17-70mm but if you are doing anything where you need wide angle the 24-70 isn't enough, so your 17-70mm (any IQ issues aside) would probably have been a good lens for me at the time !

as said above it depends on what you shoot, I agonised for ages over what to get as a walk about for my 30D and in the end went for the 17-70 I would have found my self needing two lenses and would have been swapping alot of the time.

So if you can live without the wide end then yes it is a worthwhile upgrade as it will get you the 2.8 your looking for, conversely if you can live without the long end sigma do a 17-50 f2.8 as well!

They're all decent lenses - if you need the constant f/2.8 then it's worth it. You won't however notice a massive (if much at all) improvement in image quality - the 17-70 is already a really nice lens.

What about the 24-60, how does that compare with the 24-70? Can't quite work out which is the newer lens - surely they can't be intended to co-exist in the Sigma line-up, so which one replaced which?

The 24-60 has a great reputation. It's not as big as the 24-70, and it doesn't have the 'macro' function of the 24-70, but it's a great price, with great image quality.

I have been debating on whether or not to change from my 17-70mm Its a great lens but you will have to compromise to get a replacement with a constant aperture.

Back