Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 or Tamron 17-50mm f2.8

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
Right guys just wanted to get your opinion, which would you pick and why? Im after a general walk around lens and got it down to these 2.

Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM

Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 XR Di II VC

The other lens i have at the mo is Canon 70-300 IS USM

So the Sigma would be good as it goes up to the focal length of my other lens and has macro (how good this is i don't know) but the Tamron is 2.8 all the way through.

Whats your thought guys?? :)

What do you need most - a wide aperture for DoF / low light or would you like a slightly longer walk around lens?

What do you need most - a wide aperture for DoF / low light or would you like a slightly longer walk around lens?

Lol thats what i can't decide! Would the stabilisation system be enough for most situations on the sigma compared to having 2.8 and stabilisation on the tamron.

If i were to go for the tamron would i miss that 20mm difference, how many situations would come up thinking damn i wish i had the extra little reach!

These are the kind of Qs I'm asking myself! :wacky:

I have the Sigma which I'm chuffed with. The other bits to take note of are the macro, OK not true 1:1 marco, but it does focus pretty close which can be very handy at times. HSM means focusing is near silent and accurate in low light. OS is great and for me essential! Not sure how this compares to the Tamron, but when I was looking for a mid-range zoom this lens ticked all the boxes for me. I'd rather have the extra reach which means I'm not changing lenses when wandering around.

If Sigma could make this f/2.8 it'd be near perfect (y)

Then again if Canon could be a 15-85 at a constant f/4 I'd be sorely tempted. Although it's not likely to happen! :D

I did a lot of research last year and decided to go for the extra reach with the Sigma, and i'm not disappointed. It's even good enough for me to crop if I decide to travel light without my 70-300.

Of course, if constant f2.8 is important to you ...

I am planning to get the nifty fifty to complement the Sigma and give me a fast lens at 50mm.

If i were to go for the tamron would i miss that 20mm difference, how many situations would come up thinking damn i wish i had the extra little reach!

Regardless of what lens you have there will always be situations where it isn't perfect and you wish you had something else.

The only thing I can say is I owned the Tamron for about three years, and had it on my camera every day and it served me really well as a general purpose lens. I shot all sorts with it, from concerts to landscape, to portraits and it performed fine.

another vote for the sigma from me.
build quality is really good and it focus down to 22cm which is the lenght of the lens zoomed out with the hood on.

And yet another vote for the Siggy from me, (y)
Having owned the 17-70 non OS and now just got a new 17-70 OS version last week, its super sharp and near silent in focusing.
I find the OS one a bit better and a bit more robust than the old one, OS is good as well for about 3-4 stops.
You would not be disappointed with this lens.

I got one of the first of the current version of the Sigma and have been very pleased with it. Apart from the bulk, my only criticism is the pincushion distortion at mid focal lengths but this should be correctible in-camera or with pp.

Well let's see if the lens turns up today from amazon via city link! Looked this morning and the tracking still said it was en route from the collection depot to the local depot! Rang them to be told it is out for delivery and it magically changed to say out for delivery while i was on the phone to city link! Now here's the strange thing

11.55pm
Location Kettering Northants
Departure scan

Location Kettering Northants
Out for delivery

Hmmm according to amazon it's out for delivery in Northants! Wtf is going on!

Back