Sigma 17-70mm or Canon 17-85mm IS?

Edit My Images
Yes
When funds allow, hopefully in the next month or so, I'm going to upgrade to a 40D. I see it's being done with the 17-85mm IS lens in a bundle, I currently have the Sigma 17-70mm. I'm contemplating getting the Canon IS lens and selling the Sigma, would there be a great difference between these two lenses, or would I be better sticking with the Sigma and buying the 40D body only?

Any advice appreciated.

Dave

I have a 40D and the sigma 17-70 and the lens is on the camera more than any other. I used my sister's 17-85 a couple of weeks ago and much prefer the images I got with my 17-70. Yes the IS is good on the canon lens but it has a slow max aperture to start with, I say go for the Sigma.

I have a 40D and the sigma 17-70 and the lens is on the camera more than any other. I used my sister's 17-85 a couple of weeks ago and much prefer the images I got with my 17-70. Yes the IS is good on the canon lens but it has a slow max aperture to start with, I say go for the Sigma.

Thanks for the info Stephen, I currently have the Sigma 17-70 on my 350D and it's the lens I use most, wasn't sure if there'd be much of an advantage moving to the Canon. I'll probably keep the Sigma and get a battery grip with the 40D!

(y)

sell the siggy and get the 24-70, a lot better than the 17-85 and constant aperture:)

Hi,

I have owned both and I must admit to preferring the Sigma, mainly for detail and the colours it produced, the Canon is good too but the images looked like what you get from the kit lens ( 18-55), there is just a lack of colour and contrast in them, the Sigma produces great greens and blues and is definitely sharper in the centre but it loses out a smidgen on the borders.

The only thing I DIDN'T like about the Sigma was the way the focus ring turned when using it, if you gripped it there it turned in your hand as it didn't have continual focus like a USM motor in the Canon's, apart from that though it was excellent, I only sold it to buy a prime.

Unless you need the IS on the Canon I would recommend the Sigma every time. But bear in mind the Sigma is only 2.8 at the wide end.

SIGMA 17-70 REVIEW

CANON 17-85 IS REVIEW

I can post samples from both lens' if you like, let me know.

Mike.

sell the siggy and get the 24-70, a lot better than the 17-85 and constant aperture:)

Hi,

but 24 is no good on a crop factor 1.6x camera as it's just not wide enough to be 'wide' 24-70 is no doubt a superior lens but doesn't compare to the width of a 17 on a 350D/40D or similar.

Mike.

Back