Sigma 18-200 OS vs Canon 17-85 IS USM

Edit My Images
No
I currently have a Canon 17-85 IS but always feel its a little lacking in reach at the far end for the candid work I like to do. I have previously owned a Sigma 18-125 which was great for the range it covered and its portability but suffered with a fair degree of softness that spoiled things somewhat. Now that Sigma have released an OS version of the 18-200 I am tempted to chop my 17-85 in and move to the sigma but I'm not sure if they have sorted the optics issue out (and equally importantly the speed of focussing)

Anyone taken the plunge and gone for one. Views would be appreciated

I have the non-OS version of the Sigma 18-200 and it definitely feels a bit soft at the longer end. (But it's fine at short and medium lengths.) I don't know for certain how the OS version performs, but in terms of their construction they are quite similar.

The first diagram is the OS version and the second is the non-OS version.
18-200mmOS.jpg
18-200mm.jpg

Any lens with an 11x zoom is going to be a pony at one end or t'other.

If candids are your bag then what is your minimum focal length at the wide end?

That's my quandary, I want something fairly wide as well!! so I can keep things lightweight in terms of what I want to cart about at say a wedding where I'm a guest, etc. I took some lovely informal shots at a good friends wedding a year or so ago with my 18-125 but still managed group shots as well thanks to the 18mm end.

Given your kit, you've either got to be prepared to:

1. Get a sharp lens from wide to 70mm and change lenses
2. Buy a second body and utilise your 70-200 concurrently

or

3. Get a bridge camera with a big zoom

you're looking for a panacea when at the moment, sadly there isn't one and a compromise is required :shrug:

Both 1 and 2 lose the spontenaity. 3 - Hmm, not my preferred route.

Looks like I'm after the moon on a stick again

I have been using the sigma 18-200 for a year or so and keep it on the camera. Surprisingly sharp, a little vignetting at the wide end but an excellent all-rounder. Yes it does not match my f2.8 Sigma 70-200 - but I do not fancy lugging this to weddings. I certainly just take the 18-200 along as a guest and make full use of the zoom range.

Back